Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2019 8:59:24 PM EDT
I had 9 Rouen ducks yesterday and woke up this morning to only 5 remaining. The raccoons got them again. I fixed the pen, so that should not be a problem again.

My question is about the ones that survived. Of the 5, two had some bad wounds and did not make it. Of the remaining 3, 2 look okay and one is missing a few feathers. Do yall think the remaining 3 will be safe to eat and will their eggs be safe?

Since raccoons can carry diseases it makes me a little nervous.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't worry about eatting the eggs or meat.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:53:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Op, needs to set up a still watch, and ambush the masked bandits.

Link Posted: 7/19/2019 11:15:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 10:01:51 AM EDT
[#4]
If the ducks survive the first few days of attack then they will be healthy enough to utilize.  You need a counter attack plan or give up poultry.  Shooting/trapping and a good dog should be considered.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Op, needs to set up a still watch, and ambush the masked bandits.

View Quote
Oh don't worry, the raccoons did not survive the encounter.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank yall for the replies.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 12:16:55 AM EDT
[#7]
They will be fine.

Raccoons killed two of my chickens yesterday during the middle of he day. Killed 11 of them yesterday and 8 today. Crazy that they came during the day in 90 degree weather.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Raccoons killed two of my chickens yesterday during the middle of he day.
View Quote
It has been a crazy year for raccoons for us. We have bears, pigs, mountain lions, bobcats, and a whole boatload of other animals that eat duck too. We've had nothing but trouble from the raccoons.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Oh don't worry, the raccoons did not survive the encounter.
View Quote
We keep a few dog proof traps sprinkled around the yard, they are amazingly effective.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 3:50:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks. I'll have to look into those.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top