Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2021 11:45:24 PM EDT
Been browsing HRO for the last week or so,  watching radio inventories which seemed to be holding steady.  Keep telling myself to be good and not buy another radio like the 991a, 7300, 7100 etc.  Have done well so far but noticed today store inventories are dropping with a lot of radios going out of stock today.  Just an FYI.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:58:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes sir. A few days ago, I got a call from West Va. The HRO shipping guy was "worked," and just wanted to finish up the last few orders before his weekend. He said it has been crazy with people calling up, asking dumb questions and buying up HTs and lower priced transceivers. He said his stock was nearly gone.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:03:22 AM EDT
[#2]
The new ftdx10 inventory is wiped out at a lot of their stores as of now, and the 891 is as well.  Didn’t even look at HT rigs.  Desperately trying behave here
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:30:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The new ftdx10
View Quote

I've been having to behave too. Maybe if Xiden sends me $2000
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:49:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Might not only be radios.  Ordered magnetic loop antenna before Christmas.  Santa still hasn't come yet.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:52:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Asahi Kasei Microsystems (AKM) Factory Fire

This fire will have huge impact on Amateur Radio. It has and will continue to cause supply chain disruptions from the Japanese manufactures. Non-Amateur manufacturers around the globe are now facing anticipated shortages of crucial DAC and ADC chips used in their products.  

How the fire will impact Kenwood, Yaesu and Icom I have no idea, but my guess there may be temporary shortages on some amateur products as well as spare replacement parts.

Buy now or you might be waiting for a while.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:34:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmm, maybe its time to unload  my pre-ban HF rigs and HTs...
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:55:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Been browsing HRO for the last week or so,  watching radio inventories which seemed to be holding steady.  Keep telling myself to be good and not buy another radio like the 991a, 7300, 7100 etc.  Have done well so far but noticed today store inventories are dropping with a lot of radios going out of stock today.  Just an FYI.
View Quote

Big Tech cutting people off from Twitter, Facebook, et al, has gotten people concerned that they won't be able to find out what is going on or get the truth, or even just communicate.

I've seen a sudden new interest in ham radio from many people who want a way to communicate that can't be easily shut down.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:45:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I read this as pancake on radio... I must be hungry.

I had backordered a radio that I had been looking at, they said sometime in the next week they should get their shipment to pass along my order, but who knows everything is a bit off these days.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:54:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I read this as pancake on radio... I must be hungry.

I had backordered a radio that I had been looking at, they said sometime in the next week they should get their shipment to pass along my order, but who knows everything is a bit off these days.
View Quote

Great now I want pancakes lol
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#11]
R and L had a banner on their website saying they were running behind due to unprecedented demand. I don’t remember if that was last week or the week before. I was looking at power supplies. I didn’t bother to look and see what radios they had in stock.  They don’t carry Samlex so I went elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
R and L had a banner on their website saying they were running behind due to unprecedented demand. I don’t remember if that was last week or the week before. I was looking at power supplies. I didn’t bother to look and see what radios they had in stock.  They don’t carry Samlex so I went elsewhere.
View Quote

Have you seen the new Samlex 30AMP?

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/sxa-03436?ibanner=DXEHPB2101001

I have the previous 30 AMP metered model.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:08:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Well I guess it might be a good thing I got my IC-7100 last week...  My "get me by but probably piss me off" antenna won't be here for another few weeks though...

I hesitated buying something before I got my license but so far I can take a practice exam on the Ham Radio exam app - tech level and pass every time.  I debate if I should even study the general since I might confuse a few questions with the tech info.  I will still take the general if I am allowed to just to see if I can pass it on the fly.  If I don't I will study the general and take that when I feel I am ready.  Of course will probably go for my extra, math doesn't bother me, remembering simple stuff without using it often (before) is my nemesis.  Basically my brain will say if it is on a chart and I can read it and it will be obvious my brain will refuse to store it....

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#14]
FCC Notice: What You CAN And CANNOT Do With Ham Radio
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I debate if I should even study the general since I might confuse a few questions with the tech info.  I will still take the general if I am allowed to just to see if I can pass it on the fly.  If I don't I will study the general and take that when I feel I am ready.
View Quote
I doubt you'll pass if you wing it without having prior knowledge about the general bands. I don't think the general material will confuse you on a tech question, if anything it could give you better understanding and let you you reason your way through a question.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#16]
You guys don't know the half of it, FT60's flying off the shelves, selling a months supply in 2-3 days.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You guys don't know the half of it, FT60's flying off the shelves, selling a months supply in 2-3 days.
View Quote

Last I looked HRO was sold out of them.  Messed up world
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Called HRO today. I am one of 90 people that should be getting a radio shipped relatively soon. I was about to cancel and order one that’s in stock.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. It looks very nice. I just don’t need a 30 for my 80 watt 2 meter. A 20 will be fine. My Astron SS25 quit working so I’m using my Yaesu FP1023 from my camper to run the 2 meter base. I asked in another thread and was told that the Samlex SEC1224 is the same power supply and it’s $20 cheaper. I haven’t had time to diagnose the Astron. If I can fix it, I will. If not I’ll get the Samlex SEC-1224.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:34:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yes. It looks very nice. I just don’t need a 30 for my 80 watt 2 meter. A 20 will be fine. My Astron SS25 quit working so I’m using my Yaesu FP1023 from my camper to run the 2 meter base. I asked in another thread and was told that the Samlex SEC1224 is the same power supply and it’s $20 cheaper. I haven’t had time to diagnose the Astron. If I can fix it, I will. If not I’ll get the Samlex SEC-1224.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're going to operate an 80 watt FM radio I would get the 30. It's going to draw close to 20 amps, and unlike an HF radio, FM is continuous at that amperage. I would give yourself a little headroom.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:50:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If you're going to operate an 80 watt FM radio I would get the 30. It's going to draw close to 20 amps, and unlike an HF radio, FM is continuous at that amperage. I would give yourself a little headroom.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Astron SS-25 handled it fine. I rarely use 80 watts. I hit the local repeater easily with 10. When I talk simplex with my friends I only use 5 watts. I haven’t tried 80 watts since I switched to the FP-1023. I’d like to have a Samlex 30 for my HF base. I’m still using an old Pyramid 36 power supply with it. It’s on a shelf way above my head so I don’t hear the fan noise when operating my HF rig. If I stand up I can hear it. Maybe I should buy 2 of the 30 amp Samlex. I only use the Pyramid because I got it cheap off of a buddy of mine when I upgraded to General.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:27:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I have had 2 used, older, decent HF radios listed on the EE for I think 2 months, and also listed on QRZ. I had almost no interest in purchasing them until 1/6, and both sold quickly, one on each site.
I watch QRZ classifieds - HF rigs are going quickly there as well.

Not sure if its good or bad - I see a surge of folks on here testing and asking about becoming hams, but so many have the wrong idea about this for SHTF comms and news that its sad to think how many of these rigs will sit unused when someone does not get their license, or cannot do what they thought they could. For the good, I think in a year or 2 there will be bunches of almost unused rigs for sale.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm glad I got back into the hobby about a year ago.

I bought a shack-in-the-box Yaesu FT-991a and got rid of a lot of my old junk.

The way things are going, it might become very useful.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#24]
What stinks is that in a sucker for radios and guns.  I don't know what to panic buy...I can sell guns to buy radios...or sell radios to buy guns...and I don't need more of either.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:02:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Why is it every hobby I have has panic buying .

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:35:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why is it every hobby I have has panic buying .

View Quote

ARFCOM retard neckbeard threads usually start most of the panic buying.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:35:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Don’t look at me,  only thing I’ve bought lately was some coax and new mounting hardware for my jeep.  I wonder how many bought like 6 or 10 HT’s lol
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:53:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:01:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I bought a shack-in-the-box Yaesu FT-991a

View Quote

That really is a great all around radio. Couple of my friends have them.  And you can do 2meter SSB!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That really is a great all around radio. Couple of my friends have them.  And you can do 2meter SSB!
View Quote

It has a steep learning curve for an idiot like me.  

It's worth it, though.  My shack is fairly simple:  Radio, PC, mic, keyer, ext. tuner, power supply.

When I first got into the hobby in 2009, I had stuff strewn about all over the place.  It looked like I was a hoarder.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:48:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Yep, looks like BRD is hitting everywhere.

The Droidstar thread got me to go over to RadioID.net and I noticed this graph.

JLE

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:49:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Me either. I only ordered an Anytone 878.
Keep looking at the FTDX10 tho.
Why arent you guys enabling me????
View Quote

You need an ftdx10.  There I said it
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:16:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You need an ftdx10.  There I said it
View Quote

I have one arriving tomorrow, with the PS and speaker.

DX Engineering has them in stock, or did at least.

I'm just getting back into the hobby after a hiatus, although it has little to do with the insanity. Just an interest of mine long term, that I let lapse while pursuing other things. Gigaparts has them on back order, but I think HRO has some in stock.

I own zero Baofengs. LOL
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:39:08 AM EDT
[#34]
The FTDX10 is the only new kit that interests me. I'm on the hunt for a TS-530/830 or FT902, so it will wait for beta testing.

There are a few up for resale already for whatever reasons.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:31:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I have one arriving tomorrow, with the PS and speaker.

DX Engineering has them in stock, or did at least.

I'm just getting back into the hobby after a hiatus, although it has little to do with the insanity. Just an interest of mine long term, that I let lapse while pursuing other things. Gigaparts has them on back order, but I think HRO has some in stock.

I own zero Baofengs. LOL
View Quote

Nice choice...please post a review/comments after you've had time to use it. Rob Sherwood has it near the top of his list, but real world comments are always much better. I haven't heard any on the air yet, but it sure looks nice.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Nice choice...please post a review/comments after you've had time to use it. Rob Sherwood has it near the top of his list, but real world comments are always much better. I haven't heard any on the air yet, but it sure looks nice.
View Quote

I will, but it may take a while. I have to reinstall one antenna, and put together my 'common ground' system yet.

I will run a long wire inside just to hear how it sounds on receive. I have an extra computer monitor on hand ready to go.

Looking forward to the radio, my last HF rig purchase was a Yaesu FT-840 and that has to be like 1999 or so. Still works, too, but it's pretty basic compared to the FTDX-10.

I also bought a Chameleon MPAS 2.0 which I can put up to see what it and the radio can do pretty easily.
The antenna goes up in 5 minutes, and comes down as quick. Good for portable use too.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The FTDX10 is the only new kit that interests me. I'm on the hunt for a TS-530/830 or FT902, so it will wait for beta testing.

There are a few up for resale already for whatever reasons.
View Quote

There was a guy on eHam selling one to buy an FTDX-101D which is twice the price. He sold it in 4 days I think.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I wonder what he was not getting out of the 10.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was a guy on eHam selling one to buy an FTDX-101D which is twice the price. He sold it in 4 days I think.

I wonder why the guy didn't just buy a new one, for list price. They are in stock at DX Engineering.

Oh BTW, if anyone is interested, I have an FT-60 I don't use much, and probably could be persuaded to sell if for $450.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are people who just buy and sell radios all the time, and have money to blow on such.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:38:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

He didn't say in the small space of the classified ad, but it didn't take long to sell it.

Mine came today, and it's amazing how much is stuffed into it. It came late, and I had something else going, but I made sure it all worked which it did. The display going to an external monitor is a nice touch.

I understand that Sherwood site rated it the 3rd best receiver, but I won't know for a while yet. The weather's been whacky.

I want to try it out with the MPAS antenna as soon as I can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top