Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2020 12:56:26 PM EDT
Can you please tell me what issues I may run into or common problems with this model. It will be 4WD, manual transmission with a bucket. I have 4 acres and need it to do light to medium duty work as well as cut the grass. Thanks
The dealer here can get me one for 21500.00 as described. I can buy a used one, 2018, with 55 hrs on it close to me for 22K but it comes with tractor, loader, 60in box blade, 60in bush hog, 60in rake and 18ft trailer.

Should I got for the package or am I asking for trouble?
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#2]
What are the heaviest things you want to lift, how far do you need to move them, over what type of terrain, and how fast?  What other jobs do you want to do?  

Mowing you are likely loosing time trying to do it with a tractor over a zero turn.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Mostly flatfish land, with about half an acre of trees. Will be using the tractor for around the house utility use, moving tree limbs/trunks, lifting and moving 4 wheelers, lawn mowers, boats and such. I prefer manual because I don't want to have to hold a pedal down the whole time I am using the tractor and I think a manual transmission would out last the HST. I really don't know much about tractors which is why I posted here.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 1:30:47 PM EDT
[#4]
How much will all those accessories cost?  Fifty-five hours isn't a lot of time, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 1:34:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't really know how much they would cost but they all look lightly used and I would imagine would add up to about 5k
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mostly flatfish land, with about half an acre of trees. Will be using the tractor for around the house utility use, moving tree limbs/trunks, lifting and moving 4 wheelers, lawn mowers, boats and such. I prefer manual because I don't want to have to hold a pedal down the whole time I am using the tractor and I think a manual transmission would out last the HST. I really don't know much about tractors which is why I posted here.
View Quote

You’d probably like the HST better with that size of a lot and for those uses.  But if you plan to maintain the transmission yourself gears would probably be easier (although I’ve never heard of anyone wearing out an HST?).

Have you looked at the equine discount? You can join the NCHA for free as a points only member (don’t have to own a horse) and that gets you 20% off MSRP.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Fifty-five hours isn't a lot of time, IMO.
View Quote

Agree, that’s barely the first service.

Link Posted: 10/22/2020 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I just bought a new L3901 with a FEL and a bush hog.  If I could have bought that used one you are looking at, I would have jumped all over it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#9]
You'll hate the manual transmission unless you're doing ground engagement work specifically. (Plowing, disking, etc.)

HST's are superior for loader work and mowing.

If you're super worried about holding a peddle down, I'm 90% sure they make a cruise control kit for the L3301.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the reply’s. Any areas of concern I should know about with this model?
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You’d probably like the HST better with that size of a lot and for those uses.  But if you plan to maintain the transmission yourself gears would probably be easier (although I’ve never heard of anyone wearing out an HST?).

Have you looked at the equine discount? You can join the NCHA for free as a points only member (don’t have to own a horse) and that gets you 20% off MSRP.
View Quote

Is this something that I would take care of at the dealership after I joined the NCHA, or is this information on their website
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Is this something that I would take care of at the dealership after I joined the NCHA, or is this information on their website
View Quote

Think you need to be a member to get the discount, so before you sign papers I guess?
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Dealer here.  I am sitting here trying to think of an issue I have seen more than a few times.  The only thing that comes to mind is the PTO arm down on the side of the trans. sticks.  Very easy fix.  Little lubrication and working it and it does fine.  

Had little to no trouble with emissions unless a guy just refuses to understand the system and their role in using it.

ETA:  You couldn't give me a gear drive!  The infinite variability of HST is worth it. So far, they have given my dealership zero issue.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 10:33:47 PM EDT
[#14]
My 2501 HST w/FEL, Grapple/3rd function, and 60" cutter, cruise and forks was $23k.  More than enough tractor for my 10 acres of pasture and timber...already had a 60" box blade.  

Had two geared tractors before, even moving the pasture, Id rather have HST
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 7:34:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If you're super worried about holding a peddle down, I'm 90% sure they make a cruise control kit for the L3301.
View Quote

You can find the cruise control kit for the L tractors with an HST online.  I found this thread on the installation.

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/cruise-control-on-l2501.39914/
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 8:01:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Dealer here.  

ETA:  You couldn't give me a gear drive!  The infinite variability of HST is worth it. So far, they have given my dealership zero issue.
View Quote

Doesn't the HST rob some of the HP when compared head to head with a geared model?  Not that I'm saying that is a worthwhile justification for avoiding HST, just wanting to clarify.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Get the 2501 not the 3301. The 2501 is non emissions and dead nuts reliable. The 2501 is epa hp rated which means in real world applications its just as powerful as the 3301

HST over gear driven hands down. The pedal becomes instinct after a couple hours of use and is a hell of a lot better for operation. Unless you are plowing fields all day every day you want the HST.

Loader make sure you get the quick attach bucket. This allows you to swap between the bucket and other attachments like a grapple or pallet forks. Total game changer for how useful the tractor will be.

2501, 3301, and 3901 are all exactly the same tractor with different engines. For a small plot of 4 acres trust me the 2501 is more than enough tractor. All 3 use the exact same la525 loader and have identical frames and equipment.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 8:08:47 AM EDT
[#18]
I am looking at the same tractors but I am also considering the L3800.  They were made until 2014 and have no emissions.  Almost same exact tractor as L3901.  I want a backhoe in addition to a loader.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 8:32:44 AM EDT
[#19]
People usually get rid of small tractor packages because they under bought. Meaning they really needed a bigger, but didn’t want to spend that much.

55 hours is “demonstrator” use on a tractor.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 9:15:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
People usually get rid of small tractor packages because they under bought. Meaning they really needed a bigger, but didn't want to spend that much.

55 hours is "demonstrator" use on a tractor.
View Quote
I'm also looking at L25XX.  I can borrow a bigger tractor in about 5 minutes if I need one.  I want small so I can get in close to garden/landscaping things (a skid steer would almost be better, but they're pricey and less versatile).
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm also looking at L25XX.  I can borrow a bigger tractor in about 5 minutes if I need one.  I want small so I can get in close to garden/landscaping things (a skid steer would almost be better, but they're pricey and less versatile).
View Quote

The L series tractors are all the same size if you stay under the L4500 series.  My L3901 is the same dimensions as a L2501.  The engine horsepower is the only difference.  If the EPA thing bothers you, then get the smaller tractor.  I can live with the regen cycle for the trade-off to get more horsepower.  When I bought mine, the 25 horsepower was sitting beside a 35 and a 39 horsepower.  If the tires had all been the same they would have been exactly the same dimensions.  The 35 had different tires and was narrower than the other 2. The difference was the tire type, not the tractor frame.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 11:28:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Doesn't the HST rob some of the HP when compared head to head with a geared model?  Not that I'm saying that is a worthwhile justification for avoiding HST, just wanting to clarify.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dealer here.  

If you're pushing a tractor hard enough to be concerned about geared vs HST,  in the ~30-35HP range,  you should get a bigger tractor.

HST robs a bit more, because you're going to a hydraulic pump, which is then powering your drive system - instead of a direct gear system.  But you're going to run more into a weight and size issue before power issue, for the most part.  Thus, my above comment. If you're pushing something that hard, 95-98% - then, get a bigger tractor. It will be safer for you and cause less wear on the tractor in the long term.

Gear driven is better for ground engagement not so much for the sake of 'more power' but steady power options through ground types and torque.  Also long term, heat from hydraulic fluid - gear driven transmissions are easier to keep cool on a large scale.   This is important when say, pulling a 48ft vertical tillage machine, for 12-16 hours a day non stop.  

That being said, hydrostatic is taking off/has taken off in the Yellow iron side.  Mostly because cooling is better. Bulldozers, skidloaders, excavators, front end loaders, etc. Are all hydrostatic.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dealer here.  

Yes, but unless you plan on pulling a plow or disc, from what the OP describes, he will never miss it.

OP. I am renting a L3301 right now for my 11 acres. If you have trees, make sure you get a foldable ROP's and think twice about a canopy. I always thought I wanted the 33 to purchase. Now that I have one on the property, I could go the next size down for the projects I will use it for. Also, have them install a 3rd function valve on your FEL control. You will eventually want a grapple.

Bear in mind, I say that knowing I will also be getting an 100+HP skid steer in the next year....
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 1:04:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Great info y’all. Gonna offer 19k and see if they take it. May go back to the drawing board.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 2:22:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes.  Roughly 13% difference in PTO HP.  I really challenge someone to tell a difference.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The L series tractors are all the same size if you stay under the L4500 series.  My L3901 is the same dimensions as a L2501.  The engine horsepower is the only difference.  If the EPA thing bothers you, then get the smaller tractor.  I can live with the regen cycle for the trade-off to get more horsepower.  When I bought mine, the 25 horsepower was sitting beside a 35 and a 39 horsepower.  If the tires had all been the same they would have been exactly the same dimensions.  The 35 had different tires and was narrower than the other 2. The difference was the tire type, not the tractor frame.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point was more that the usual argument that people buy too little horsepower just doesn't apply to me.  Even if they're the same size, there's no point in dicking with any added emmissions, if I can walk next door and grab a 75+HP tractor for big stuff.

Maybe a better question is, I know I'm never going to put a belly mower on it, want a small FEL, and a 3 point hitch/PTO for random uses (might use a hole auger/brushhog once or twice a year).   I'm tired of moving mulch and gravel around with a wheelbarrow is the real use case here.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Can you please tell me what issues I may run into or common problems with this model. It will be 4WD, manual transmission with a bucket. I have 4 acres and need it to do light to medium duty work as well as cut the grass. Thanks
The dealer here can get me one for 21500.00 as described. I can buy a used one, 2018, with 55 hrs on it close to me for 22K but it comes with tractor, loader, 60in box blade, 60in bush hog, 60in rake and 18ft trailer.

Should I got for the package or am I asking for trouble?
View Quote
Go in with your eyes wide open:

Shady Internet Tractor Package "deals"

Link Posted: 10/23/2020 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yes.  Roughly 13% difference in PTO HP.  I really challenge someone to tell a difference.
View Quote

I concur, pretty negligible.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#29]
If all you are doing is light mowing, that’s a lot for a mower.
A tractor is great, but make sure it meets your needs.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 7:20:17 PM EDT
[#30]
If you do much loader work with that tractor you will soon hate the manual trans unless it has a power reverser. Clutching and shifting gears every time you change direction will get old fast.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Get the 2501 not the 3301. The 2501 is non emissions and dead nuts reliable. The 2501 is epa hp rated which means in real world applications its just as powerful as the 3301

HST over gear driven hands down. The pedal becomes instinct after a couple hours of use and is a hell of a lot better for operation. Unless you are plowing fields all day every day you want the HST.

Loader make sure you get the quick attach bucket. This allows you to swap between the bucket and other attachments like a grapple or pallet forks. Total game changer for how useful the tractor will be.

2501, 3301, and 3901 are all exactly the same tractor with different engines. For a small plot of 4 acres trust me the 2501 is more than enough tractor. All 3 use the exact same la525 loader and have identical frames and equipment.
View Quote

I went through the same dilemma earlier this month and chose the 2501.

Link Posted: 11/4/2020 5:04:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Bought a BX23S back in June and I'm ready to trade it in on a bigger tractor. FEL is almost useless.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Bought a BX23S back in June and I'm ready to trade it in on a bigger tractor. FEL is almost useless.
View Quote

I started with a 1860 in 2011...you don’t wanna know what just came home after four iterations even though I kept the last one so now there’s two in the shed

I wish I still had my BX though, I made a mistake getting rid of it, it has its place.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I certainly wouldn't call it useless, but it just depends on what you're trying to do with it.

I think a lot of people have unrealistic expectations for small machines of that size.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:52:42 AM EDT
[#35]
I would be all over that 2018 with all those extras if it was HST.  

You will want the HST and not the manual.   If you ever go to sell the manual will likely reduce its desirability.   Anyone that does loader or grapple work will see it as a huge disadvantage.  

With the exception of one tractor,  every tractor I have ever owned in the less than 50 HP range is/was hydro.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top