Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2019 8:17:51 PM EDT
Looking to build another small-desktop PC to put into camper.  Asus board, low power...

Not interested in a laptop.

Presently running an Asus H81M-E main board--- Link---

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/H81ME/

With a new 22" Samsung monitor total power consumption is about 60 watts.

That's about 5 amps at 12.5vdc via a small sine wave inverter.

Running Pentium G3420 at 3.6 GHz, 4 MB storage. Intel SSD drive.

PC is used for ordinary stuff, not gaming or anything requiring lots of computing power.

Would like to lower power drain to about 40 watts, a slower PC is OK.

Want to stick with Asus brand board. I prefer to retain the micro ATX board form factor in a newer board.

Any sensible thoughts or things I need to add to the description?

Maybe using a 12vdc to PC modular power supply would increase efficiency and skip the sine wave inverter for the PC.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 8:48:45 PM EDT
[#1]
ASUS is not particularly good, why stick with them?

You'll have a hard time lowering power without going to something like an Atom based computer.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 9:09:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out intel nucs
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 10:56:26 PM EDT
[#3]
What are you going to use the PC for?    I ask because there options like Arduino or Rasberry PI’s that use very little power.   If you install Linux it can be a pretty capable machine for web surfing, email, some basic word processing capabilities.    Rasberry Pi Model three runs less than 10 watts depending on accessories plugged into them.   We use them for a number of things and although they are not FAST for basic web surfing and basic use they are just fine.

2Hut8
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 11:35:52 PM EDT
[#4]
There are some (non-ASUS, unfortunately) small form factor desktops that use the Z-series Atom processors.

I use this one. It is very low power for a PC -- about 500 milliamps at 12V.

It's at the bottom end of the performance curve as you might imagine, but I have these deployed off grid where solar is the only power option, and a five amp draw at 12V translates to nearly 1.5 KW/Hr per day -- I'd need about 350W of panels just to run the PC 24/7. With this mini PC, I only needed on 100W panel (and had plenty of power to spare for other things.)

There are a few slightly higher quality mini PCs, but their power draw is about double this -- still way better than most PC/mobo combinations, though.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 11:46:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are some (non-ASUS, unfortunately) small form factor desktops that use the Z-series Atom processors.

I use this one. It is very low power for a PC -- about 500 milliamps at 12V.

It's at the bottom end of the performance curve as you might imagine, but I have these deployed off grid where solar is the only power option, and a five amp draw at 12V translates to nearly 1.5 KW/Hr per day -- I'd need about 350W of panels just to run the PC 24/7. With this mini PC, I only needed on 100W panel (and had plenty of power to spare for other things.)

There are a few slightly higher quality mini PCs, but their power draw is about double this -- still way better than most PC/mobo combinations, though.
View Quote
Need Win 7PRo capability and conventional "PC component structure".

And more performance, approaching what I described above.

But it is perfect for many low power aps.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 11:47:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What are you going to use the PC for?    I ask because there options like Arduino or Rasberry PI’s that use very little power.   If you install Linux it can be a pretty capable machine for web surfing, email, some basic word processing capabilities.    Rasberry Pi Model three runs less than 10 watts depending on accessories plugged into them.   We use them for a number of things and although they are not FAST for basic web surfing and basic use they are just fine.

2Hut8
View Quote
Running Win 7 until they obsolete it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 11:50:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You'll have a hard time lowering power without going to something like an Atom based computer.
View Quote
Started with the Atom series or a similar one, about 2003 IIRC for the trailer/camper, thru various improved boards until about 2014, when I replaced about 5  C2750's with later main bds.

Unless they have come out with a more powerful one since abt 2 years ago, need more like I described above. Don't think they have.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 11:54:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Check out intel nucs
View Quote
Too integrated for what I'm looking for.

Nice innovation tho...
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 12:00:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
I like Intel and Asus bds.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 12:03:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I use this in my trailer.
Fanless Mini PC, 2GB/32GB Intel Atom x5-Z8350(2M Cache, up to 1.92 GHz),HD Graphics 400,4K/1000M LAN/2.4G+5.8G WIFI/BT4.0, Support
Amazon Product
  • Highly Efficient Atom X5-Z8350 Processor: Supporting Windows 10 Home and equipped with advanced 64 bit Intel Atom X5-Z8350 processor ( 2M Cache, up to 1.92 GHz) , Mini PC Linux can decode and transfer your data at a stunning speed. Get it home, experience its ultrafast performance to get your favorite shows and movies instantly.
  • Support Dual Screen Display: Equipped with VGA and HDMI dual outputs for dual monitors. You can easily run two or more applications in full view simultaneously. Double the efficiency, simplify your work and reduce unnecessary waiting time.
  • Unbelievably Powerful Capacity: 2GB RAM, 32GB flash memory and 128G max extended capacity via SD card. With this great capacity, you can enjoy HD videos with faster loading speed; get smoother gaming experience and download those wonderful apps as many as possible. ( Please kindly notice that the SD Card is not included ).

That exact one has been discontinued but if you look at the related items there are a gob of options, personally I would recommend the 4/64 version, although the 2/32 version works quite well (ignore the reviews bitching about updates, they work fine)
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Get both a desktop and a laptop?

I am not sure how much more expensive low power desktop options are, but it might not be worth it in the end if the energy savings never outweigh the initial cost.

You could always use the desktop when you need it and use the laptop the rest of the time. A fanless laptop with an ssd will be much more efficient than a desktop.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Nice innovation tho...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Check out intel nucs

Nice innovation tho...
It really is the way to go, you’re not going to get smaller or much lower power than one. Look on eBay for a 5 or 6 series NUC, they’ll be far cheaper than current gen ones

ETA: another good option is the Gigabyte BRIX, I used one similar to this for a HTPC for years (and it’s still running in that capacity): https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F293102574602

Other than possibly adding more storage it’s good to go as is for basic PC needs

ETA 2: both of these options use a power brick (not sure if it’s 12v or higher like most laptop bricks) so you can at least stay DC instead of going DC > AC > DC and losing efficiency/gaining heat
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nice innovation tho...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Check out intel nucs

Nice innovation tho...
You can install ram and HD of your choosing in them. But if you want low power then integration is pretty much the direction you have to go.

These are one step above SOCs or system on a chip which is what raspberry pis are.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 3:43:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a dedicated and quite compact PC 'station' in the trailer and mount the PC directly above the monitor.

Want to run WIN 7 as long as I can.

Not interested in out of the mainstream linex, or other stuff.

Want a small conventional PC with the ability to reconfigure/upgrade.

Just need a recommendation of a low power Intel or Asus bd with capability about what I mentioned in first post, and using recent storage, USB 3, etc.

We carry 2 laptops and the PC on travel.

Use a cellular stick for internet with an [older and cheap and fine performing]  Cradlepoint router to serve the trailer by wire and wireless to the tow vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 12:36:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Why are you so set on upgradeability? You can get something cheaper, more compact and more power efficient if you can get around that requirement. I used to do the same thing and had a couple MiniITX systems but NUCs or similar sized systems really are the way to go and will be much cheaper used.

This PC that I do all my browsing from, downloading, hosting BlueIris, DHCP/DNS/etc is an Intel NUC7i5BNH with both a NVMe SSD and 2.5” HDD for storage, I have an Intel NUC5i5RYK as a 4K HTPC and a Lenovo M73 tiny for a second HTPC

Another option I found on eBay is this

If you really don’t like the form factor you could go with an mATX B450 chipset motherboard and a newer Intel i3 CPU (look for the T version for lower power consumption) but I strongly suggest against this route. I personally don’t care for Asus either, and Intel doesn’t make motherboards anymore, the closest you’ll come to an Intel manufactured motherboard today...is a NUC
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 11:54:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Intel compute stick is what you seek.   I haven't played around with mine for a while, but some run win 10 and are supposed to be fairly useful.  You plug it into the hdmi port on any tv or monitor and attach a wireless mouse/keyboard.

Link Posted: 7/8/2019 3:22:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Intel compute stick is what you seek.   I haven't played around with mine for a while, but some run win 10 and are supposed to be fairly useful.  You plug it into the hdmi port on any tv or monitor and attach a wireless mouse/keyboard.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51ZAV2F8bbL._SL1000_.jpg
View Quote
Totally forgot those were still available. A compute stick would definitely be a much lower power and more compact option if they have enough processing power for your needs.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 9:35:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Why are you so set on upgradeability? You can get something cheaper, more compact and more power efficient if you can get around that requirement. I used to do the same thing and had a couple MiniITX systems but NUCs or similar sized systems really are the way to go and will be much cheaper used.

This PC that I do all my browsing from, downloading, hosting BlueIris, DHCP/DNS/etc is an Intel NUC7i5BNH with both a NVMe SSD and 2.5” HDD for storage, I have an Intel NUC5i5RYK as a 4K HTPC and a Lenovo M73 tiny for a second HTPC

Another option I found on eBay is this

If you really don’t like the form factor you could go with an mATX B450 chipset motherboard and a newer Intel i3 CPU (look for the T version for lower power consumption) but I strongly suggest against this route. I personally don’t care for Asus either, and Intel doesn’t make motherboards anymore, the closest you’ll come to an Intel manufactured motherboard today...is a NUC
View Quote
Want commonality because I run about 6 PC's and want most similar.

Used to run mini-ITX's but last round of upgrades 2 years ago went with micro-ATX's

Looks like the NUC might work OK, but it seems limited to WIN10.

Just saw Classic Shell is now Open Shell. How is the volunteer support working out?
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Totally forgot those were still available. A compute stick would definitely be a much lower power and more compact option if they have enough processing power for your needs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51ZAV2F8bbL._SL1000_.jpg
I really think they are under rated.  I have an old one running some flavor of linux.   It's perfectly adequate for surfing the internet, watching you tube, email, etc..   They're cheap, too.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Old school tag cause I would so be playing in amazon warehouse looking at used netbooks or something.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Old school tag cause I would so be playing in amazon warehouse looking at used netbooks or something.
View Quote
You know, a 4 or so year old laptop with Win 7 might be the way to go...
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#22]
W7 obsoletes in january....
chromebook and remote desktop to your pc at  home?
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:51:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
W7 obsoletes in january....
chromebook and remote desktop to your pc at  home?
View Quote
Will have to switch all PC's to 10 and install the Classic Shell ap that's publicly supported under a new name.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 11:02:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Netbook is like a mini laptop, won't have cd drive built in it.  This is what I sorta remember from 8 years ago so correct me where wrong folks.

Laptop for bigger keyboard I can sorta see.  I have an old toughbook that needs a new battery or 2, it gets great battery life cause no cooling fan but it is slow poke on chomping info cause it has low power stuff to not need cooling fan.

I have been using my smart phone and desktop lately.  With work being silly I don't have much need for laptop and I have a tablet from amazon for inbetween stuffs like watching prime stuff.

Once I get back to messing with things again the toughbook will either get upgraded to solid state hard drive and new operating system or I will buy a replacement that might be a net book.

I have an external cd/dvd drive and what not so I can do whatever with whatever that way.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#25]
For TRULY low power look at a Raspberry Pi.  You can run a version of Windows 10 on it.  The newer v4 Pi has 4GB of Ram available and is a bit faster.  Win10 on v3 was pretty slow.

I have used several of the Intel Compute sticks over the years.  Perfect when you need to run a simple PPT file as a Welcome Screen/Kiosk but make it stupid simple so the front desk receptionist can make changes.

Unless you need a PCI slot I see no need for running any ITX board.  Just buy a mini PC of some type, Atom processor, and go.

Would a large screen tablet with an ext keyboard do the job?  MS Surface?
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
For TRULY low power look at a Raspberry Pi.  You can run a version of Windows 10 on it.  The newer v4 Pi has 4GB of Ram available and is a bit faster.  Win10 on v3 was pretty slow.

I have used several of the Intel Compute sticks over the years.  Perfect when you need to run a simple PPT file as a Welcome Screen/Kiosk but make it stupid simple so the front desk receptionist can make changes.

Unless you need a PCI slot I see no need for running any ITX board.  Just buy a mini PC of some type, Atom processor, and go.

Would a large screen tablet with an ext keyboard do the job?  MS Surface?
View Quote
Windows 10 IOT is not what most people think of as Windows. It’s certainly not a desktop OS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top