Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2020 8:28:44 PM EDT
Since I have the land and I do enjoy smoking meat along with the rest of the family. I have been thinking of building a smokehouse.

I have seen many plans online but one thing I'm having a problem finding are the steel doors they are using on these smokers I'm not sure if they are custom made or if I'm not looking in the right place?

I'm going to have a huge amount of mesquite wood as soon as I start clearing brush around the home. So looking for more ideas on the build and plans but mostly looking were to get the heavy steel doors. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you building a smoke house or a smoker?  That is to say are you trying to cold smoke meat (smoke house) or are you trying to cook meat (smoker).  No need for steel doors on a smokehouse.  I’ve used a wooden shed with the fire in a number 2 wash tub to smoke meat. Smoking meat is normally done at less than 90 degrees which can be difficult in Texas except in winter. Even smoking sausages is doe at 150 degrees or less. At these temps a wooden smoke house with an offset fire box works great. Now if you are trying to cook briskets, ribs or pork then you are talking 250 degrees and you need nonflammable materials.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:41:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you building a smoke house or a smoker?  That is to say are you trying to cold smoke meat (smoke house) or are you trying to cook meat (smoker).  No need for steel doors on a smokehouse.  I’ve used a wooden shed with the fire in a number 2 wash tub to smoke meat. Smoking meat is normally done at less than 90 degrees which can be difficult in Texas except in winter. Even smoking sausages is doe at 150 degrees or less. At these temps a wooden smoke house with an offset fire box works great. Now if you are trying to cook briskets, ribs or pork then you are talking 250 degrees and you need nonflammable materials.
View Quote

With you question about smokehouse or smoker. I'm not looking to do cold smoking at all from what I was told why to much to go wrong!
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#3]
This is a photo that's been hanging on the kitchen wall for ~20 years.My GFs ex built and tested it out

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top