Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/3/2022 11:41:40 PM EDT
As of right now I'm looking at the Silky Pocketboy , the Corona 10" Razortooth . Any thing else I should consider? I'm also looking at the smaller 8" corona saw also.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:50:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Bahco laplander is the standard.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:57:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Agreed.  I have the silky and bacho.  The issue with the silky is cost and the blades are thin.  The silky will probably break before the bahco will.

ETA:  I think the silky blade breaking is probably due to user error.  It's a pull cut blade and people have a tendency to pull them too far back before moving back forward.  The blade will bind and break the tip.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 12:32:24 AM EDT
[#3]
This is the one I have in my GHB, seems solid.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 12:54:23 AM EDT
[#4]
The Corona is very good and fast cutting saw. If bushcrafting get the Bahco laplander.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 2:54:37 AM EDT
[#5]
No offense intended but WTF are you going to use a saw for in this scenario?
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 3:40:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Silky. Used mine the other day to clear out a site to pitch a tent on the middle of a mountain.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:04:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I like my silky that I keep in my truck
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I carry one of these in my GBH bag   Much better economy of motion than those little folders .Boreal folding bow saw
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:14:27 AM EDT
[#9]
used the sven for many years now

https://www.rei.com/product/404013/sven-folding-saw-21

if you have the room, it's better in every way.   much easier to actually saw with.     i pretty much just use it for when i have smaller trees down across the road and dont have the chainsaw on me.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:18:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:19:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:37:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have a long ass commute, like really long.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:51:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I think keeping one in the vehicle is very wise. Downed trees are common around here. I carry one in the bag of my dual sport. Of course that could be a bit bigger than the small ones mentioned.

Now would I carry one in my GHB if on foot? Maybe, I am not totally against it. It could be used for firewood, but I likely wont have a fire and if I did there is a lot of deadfall. It is hard for me to come up with a scenario outside of firewood though. I guess I would bring it along as I wouldn't want to abandon a valuable tool in my stranded vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:25:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I keep a silky in my truck and it has come in handy a few times, but I don't know if it would be important enough for a GHB. Weather you will need a fire or not is probably the determining factor.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 12:00:03 PM EDT
[#17]
On a snogo forum all the rider carry this saw or one like it.
Will be adding one to the boat and snogo.

https://silkysaws.com/silky-katanaboy-500-folding-saw/
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I keep one in my truck but I like to head off into the mountains on logging roads. A GHB doesnt necessarily mean nukes dropped out of the sky. If I catch a freak snowstorm and a tree falls across the road without a way to get the road clear you are stuck and it could be days (or longer....) before someone finds you.

A hand saw is about the last thing I'd want to use to clear a large tree laying in the road.... Buts its still better than my bare hands.

I have the Silky Professional.  I really should pick up an electric chainsaw and just toss that in when I head out, but at least this gives me SOMETHING to use if needed, and I'd get to work on my cardio.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Gerber and Browning make great folding saws. Keep one with my hunting stuff.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 2:14:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Agreed.  I have the silky and bacho.  The issue with the silky is cost and the blades are thin.  The silky will probably break before the bahco will.

ETA:  I think the silky blade breaking is probably due to user error.  It's a pull cut blade and people have a tendency to pull them too far back before moving back forward.  The blade will bind and break the tip.
View Quote

Yup. My standard backpacking saw for wood processing is a Silky Ultra Accel Curved (mine is the older red version). Used Silky saws for years. Haven't broken one, because I'm used to how they work, and how to use them.

Used to have a Silky PocketBoy, but the added length of the Ultra Accel was worth the slight increase in weight. The newer Gomboy 240mm Outback edition curved is lighter than the Ultra Accel (0.63lbs vs 0.8lbs. Wasn't available when I got my Ultra Accel years ago).

OP, what's the average and maximum diameter of the wood you'll be using it on?

Silky recommends the 240mm for up to 6.2", but I regularly use it for anything from 4" to 8" (I've found that processing wood/firewood over 8" is more hassle than I want to deal with), and while the 240mm isn't ideal for 8" diameters, I can do it just fine. In fact, the biggest thing I've ever sawed through with the Ultra Accel, was a ~12" tree that had fallen across a trail.

How do you cut a 12" diameter tree, with a ~9" saw blade? Cut a v-notch on opposite sides, then saw through the now narrower middle (tree was across the trail on slope, so once I sawed through it, the lower section slid further down, clearing the trail).

P.S.

OP's in AZ, though. Not sure what the intended use case is for a folding saw in a GHB.

A saw in a vehicle is understandable. IIRC, there was a GD'er whose Jeep ran off the road, and had a smaller (4"? 6"?) tree get stuck between the bumper and crashbar. Used the folding saw to cut it off to get the vehicle free (and IIRC, mentioned that they were glad the folding saw was compact and narrow, because they wouldn't have been able to maneuver something bigger in the small space they had to work with).
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I keep one in my truck but I like to head off into the mountains on logging roads. A GHB doesnt necessarily mean nukes dropped out of the sky. If I catch a freak snowstorm and a tree falls across the road without a way to get the road clear you are stuck and it could be days (or longer....) before someone finds you.

A hand saw is about the last thing I'd want to use to clear a large tree laying in the road.... Buts its still better than my bare hands.

I have the Silky Professional.  I really should pick up an electric chainsaw and just toss that in when I head out, but at least this gives me SOMETHING to use if needed, and I'd get to work on my cardio.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I keep a 30" bow saw in my truck.
It's not really expensive and way more power than the folding handbags.
When I had a car, I kept a collapsible bow saw with the spare tire. That was probably not as good as the folders for It's size.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:07:35 AM EDT
[#22]
For a truck, a larger bow saw isn’t a bad idea; I actually like the cordless chainsaw and may pick one up (I use Makita tools, so batter compatibility would  be nice). That’s about the most likely I’m going to need a big saw.

Why a smaller saw for your “bug-wherever” bag? For those in more northern climes where fire is as important as shelter during the winter, a saw is as important as an axe to process enough wood for those emergencies.

Stealth. I’ve found a smaller folding saw much quieter and less movement if I have to create a crawl space in thick foliage, make a few observation holes in thick foliate, or quietly clear a small spot of saplings or branches to bed down or put a hammock up. Call me anal, but I’ve found using a saw to make smaller chunks of fuel for a natural fuel stove gives me longer burn times and less smoke that just twigs and cones.  

While I don’t see them as “essential”, I do have and often pack a small folding saw in my kits and would actually prefer a saw to an axe for most environments.

I like Silky saws and have several. Corona is a very serviceable option for the lower end budget. The Bahco has been a gold standard in the Bushcraft community for many years.  What I like about the Silky designs are simply more options. Both Bahco and Silky have locking blades when closed (important to me), and the two positions for the Silky saw give you normal cutting use and a flat-surface cutting position (saves you from scraping your knuckles up).

If you like and use a saw frequently, they’re worth their weight. If you don’t see the need and haven’t really needed them in the past, you’ll likely just be carrying useless weight. A saw is just a more efficient tool for certain problems; most can use a hammer for just about anything and a saw isn’t seen as efficient, just less necessary.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:24:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
For a truck, a larger bow saw isn’t a bad idea; I actually like the cordless chainsaw and may pick one up (I use Makita tools, so batter compatibility would  be nice). That’s about the most likely I’m going to need a big saw.

Why a smaller saw for your “bug-wherever” bag? For those in more northern climes where fire is as important as shelter during the winter, a saw is as important as an axe to process enough wood for those emergencies.

Stealth. I’ve found a smaller folding saw much quieter and less movement if I have to create a crawl space in thick foliage, make a few observation holes in thick foliate, or quietly clear a small spot of saplings or branches to bed down or put a hammock up. Call me anal, but I’ve found using a saw to make smaller chunks of fuel for a natural fuel stove gives me longer burn times and less smoke that just twigs and cones.  

While I don’t see them as “essential”, I do have and often pack a small folding saw in my kits and would actually prefer a saw to an axe for most environments.

I like Silky saws and have several. Corona is a very serviceable option for the lower end budget. The Bahco has been a gold standard in the Bushcraft community for many years.  What I like about the Silky designs are simply more options. Both Bahco and Silky have locking blades when closed (important to me), and the two positions for the Silky saw give you normal cutting use and a flat-surface cutting position (saves you from scraping your knuckles up).

If you like and use a saw frequently, they’re worth their weight. If you don’t see the need and haven’t really needed them in the past, you’ll likely just be carrying useless weight. A saw is just a more efficient tool for certain problems; most can use a hammer for just about anything and a saw isn’t seen as efficient, just less necessary.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20210502_172141.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20210502_172110.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20210711_095614.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Bushcraft/Light%20Saws_zpsfm9ixg6e.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Bushcraft/.highres/DSCF8346_zpstcm1aa8m.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Bushcraft/.highres/DSCF8345_zpszvgyurij.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

ROCK6
View Quote

The creating space in foliage is a fair point. Having said that, you've got a problem.

Did you see my Machete thread in GD? I will help you feed that addiction.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 1:00:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20210502_172141.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20210502_172110.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20210711_095614.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Bushcraft/Light%20Saws_zpsfm9ixg6e.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Bushcraft/.highres/DSCF8346_zpstcm1aa8m.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Bushcraft/.highres/DSCF8345_zpszvgyurij.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

ROCK6
View Quote

Stealth is a really good point. A saw is a heckuva lot quieter than any kind of chopping/batoning.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 6:35:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I don’t know about a “get home” scenario, but a Bahco folding saw can be extremely useful.  I carry one hunting and have another that lives in my vehicle.  

I keep a saw and a machete in my vehicle at all times.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#27]
For a folding saw the Bacho gets my vote.  If it requires something more than a folding saw I usually step up to your standard basic bow saw.  After that is the dewalt 12" battery powered.  Then its on to an actual chainsaw.  In my AO if i have any reason to believe trees could be down I will toss in my dewalt or an actual chainsaw.  That said I would not have much use for one in a get home scenario.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#28]
A little different than your request, but maybe a good option for some.

Wyoming Saw from the Wyoming Knife Corporation, Made in USA and the Wyoming Saw 1 is about $50 directly from the manufacture.  Ive had one for years and it has help up well, extra blades are about $5.00.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Well now I have one of those Bachos on the way. So thanks for that fellows.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:44:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Wyoming Saw from the Wyoming Knife Corporation, Made in USA and the Wyoming Saw 1 is about $50 directly from the manufacture.  Ive had one for years and it has help up well, extra blades are about $5.00.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/273029/Screen_Shot_2022-08-06_at_4_56_40_PM_png-2479761.JPG
View Quote
The small Wyoming saw is worthless.
It is just to small.

Threw ours away and went to the big one.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:19:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It is just to small.

View Quote

Wyoming saw or different brand?

I know stuff grows bigger in AK.  You would know better than me.

EDIT:  @akcaribouhunter not meant to derail thread, just wondering if you ever used the Wyoming Knife?
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:50:50 AM EDT
[#32]
I love my Laplander, I always keep it in my pack, I've used to to do everything from making hunting blinds to cutting smaller fallen trees blocking roads, if you got the energy it will cut it.

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 3:45:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI.

That's what I have, and it is a beast.  

Not in my GHB... but more like a camping and maybe BOB item, if you plan to make fires or build a shelter in the woods.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:22:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I carry one of these in my GBH bag   Much better economy of motion than those little folders .Boreal folding bow saw
View Quote

This is the best saw I have ever had. It is so handy to have when you need a saw, I have given away my other bow saws. Get the nylon case, a spare pin and blade. The only complaint is that I would like a fire steel pocket on the case.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

EDIT:  @akcaribouhunter not meant to derail thread, just wondering if you ever used the Wyoming Knife?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is just to small.

Tried the knife once on a moose.
Hide was way too thick.

Yup had both Wyoming saws.

Little one was junk as it was to small for damn near everything we used it on.
Even small limbs were a bear.

Big Wyoming is good to go as it is a nice size.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Did you see my Machete thread in GD? I will help you feed that addiction.
View Quote

It's been fed

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Never felt undergunned with the Bahco.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 11:07:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/273029/Screen_Shot_2022-08-06_at_4_56_40_PM_png-2479761.JPG
View Quote

Best saw for processing big game too.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 11:12:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Budget Bushcraft: Corona Razor Tooth Vs. Bahco Laplander Saw
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 12:04:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is just to small.

I have a short packable bow saw similar to the Wyoming. Even just for campground use I'd rather have a folding saw or similar sized fixed pruning saw than a short bow saw.
If nothing else the wider, thicker blade is more stable, and you don't struggle with the frame getting caught on things.
Going up to a larger bow saw makes a big difference.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Three days ago I found a half-rotted tree had fallen halfway across a local road.  Went to pull it from the road and it was just heavy enough that I called it in and drove around instead.  No emergency but it did cause me to reconsider what is in my little commuter car.

Even a small saw could clear a enough of a good-sized tree to make a road passable in a moderate amount of time.

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#43]

Love the little Sawvivor ~ second from the left in the last photo~ had one for maybe thirty years.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Three days ago I found a half-rotted tree had fallen halfway across a local road.  Went to pull it from the road and it was just heavy enough that I called it in and drove around instead.  No emergency but it did cause me to reconsider what is in my little commuter car.

Even a small saw could clear a enough of a good-sized tree to make a road passable in a moderate amount of time.

View Quote

Yea, but that’s kind of the debate. Gear you keep in your vehicle may not serve any real purpose while in foot.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Yea, but that's kind of the debate. Gear you keep in your vehicle may not serve any real purpose while in foot.
View Quote

I may have missed an initial specification ~but for me any GHB is going to start out in my car.

If I'm hoofing it home from work in good weather and decent circumstances there won't be a need for much more than a water bottle or two.  

If I'm any farther away and it's the colder 1/2 of the year it's not at all unlikely I'll be building a real fire so a saw will be quite useful.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I may have missed an initial specification ~but for me any GHB is going to start out in my car.

If I'm hoofing it home from work in good weather and decent circumstances there won't be a need for much more than a water bottle or two.  

If I'm any farther away and it's the colder 1/2 of the year it's not at all unlikely I'll be building a real fire so a saw will be quite useful.
View Quote

I don't really think there is a right or wrong answer. In the end we all draw our own conclusions which is what these conversations are good for. I ended up ordering the Bancho saw because why not?

As for fire it would be sheer desperation for me to do so. Much too easy to draw attention that way from light, smoke, or smell. But if I needed to here in the Appalachians there are so many downed limbs and branches a saw is certainly not needed for an emergency fire. And yet I ordered one, lol.

Link Posted: 8/9/2022 9:52:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I guess my question is more philosophical.

Why a saw for a GHB?

I view a GHB as an ultralight kit that has a very specific goal: get me home ASAP.

I view a saw as serving two purposes: 1) building shelter and 2) processing firewood

Neither of those seems applicable in a getting home scenario. Let me explain.

First, the time and effort spent building a shelter is counter to the idea of getting home quickly. I'm assuming this isn't your plan. Should you find yourself in need of shelter in an extreme collapse scenario that is so bad you can't drive home, you can find some shelter to get out of the elements.

Second, fire. Fire is not a good idea because the smell and smoke will travel for miles and can be seen/smelled by anyone nearby. I can see a fire if you are hypothermic and teetering on death. Making a fire for warmth and food is a bad idea.

To be clear, I'm thinking of a non-permissive environment where speed is paramount.

View Quote
Depending on where I am working, I have a long as walk home, as in multiple days. Some areas have few trees, so I would be using a saw to cut down branches for shelter/fire wood/etc from any available trees, dead and alive. I really don't understand the 1 case fits all thinking that goes around here. You see it all the time. "Why would you use that? I don't need that". Everyone has different circumstances and has different needs & wants.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not coming at you from that angle. I'm honestly trying to help you.

My bags are set up for 4+ day movements with an average of 10-15 miles each day.

Every single pound and every square inch of your pack is critically important.

I'm only trying to encourage you to critically think about the idea of making shelter and fire in an environment where society has collapsed to the point of impassable roads.

I've been toying with the idea of recording a multi-part youtube series on this subject.

Did you read the book we wrote back in 2016?
View Quote

Which book is that?
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top