Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Red Roselle/Florida Cranberry. Since you're already growing okra, you're familiar with its cultivation.

The greens taste like cranberry spinach salad, the flowers are brief but pretty, and the calyxes left behind can be used to make hibiscus tea ("jamaica"), jelly, etc. The stems are fibrous and can be used for rope/cordage, if'n you're into that.

Tried it a few years ago, and have grown it ever since. My kids run around eating handfuls of leaves like little bald orangutans.

https://www.southernexposure.com/products/roselle-thai-red/

Runner up: Mouse Melons/Mexican Sour Gherkins. These things won't quit when they get started, and are crunchy & delicious in salads. It's something else my kids love snacking on right out of the garden.

https://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/cucumbers/mexican-sour-gherkin-cucumber

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:21:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll suggest peanuts. Not sure how they would do in IA though.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll suggest peanuts. Not sure how they would do in IA though.
View Quote

My grandmother used to grow them so I think they do ok
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#4]
gai lun
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:11:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:31:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Kudzu
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:35:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:39:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kudzu

whaaat? not a good idea?
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:28:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Kiwano
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Planted some red Japanese mustard, dandelions and mizuna last week.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:38:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Horse radish.  I love the stuff. Had it growing in the bayou area where I used to live. Need to try some here in Tangi parish.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 11:56:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@Passgas55 what do you do with it?  I mean I LOVE horseradish sauce, but I once tried to make my own homemade for bloody mary mix (I make my own mix) and I could not get it into a form that wasn't stringy.  

I would be very interested in how you use it.

View Quote

All I did was dig up roots, peel skin off , chop up roots and throw in food processor. Add white vinegar and salt. Process till you get texture you want. I just add a little vinegar at a time as I process. You don't want it too runny. Be prepared for open sinus when processing. I love the stuff added to ketchup for fried seafood  .
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 12:13:49 AM EDT
[#14]
peanuts.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Comfrey
Jerusalem Artichokes
Peter peppers
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone got good deer repellent?  Never had this problem but they are ravaging my poor garden one walked down my row of salsify last night and damn near ate every one
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Anyone got good deer repellent?  Never had this problem but they are ravaging my poor garden one walked down my row of salsify last night and damn near ate every one
View Quote
I don't use a repellent but I do have to fence my garden. In fact my garden would be three times the size that it is if I didn't have to protect every square inch. Not just from deer but woodchucks as well. There is a den 15 feet from my garden.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 3:06:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
One of the big permaculture guys swears by "bone sauce".

The process:  first, you start with a cast iron kettle and bury it a bit and put a cup of water in the bottom; then fill another kettle with bones, put a screen over it and then plop the bone kettle upside down on the other kettle; pack clay around the edges to make a good seal, pile up some dirt and build a big fire over the whole thing.

Keep the fire going for an hour or two and then let it sit for a day. Then collect the nasty gunk from the bottom. Apparently this smells awful. Smear a little of this around the trunk of any tree and animals won't ever touch that tree.

Link Posted: 6/4/2021 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Abani berries.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Jesus I need some deer repellent bad I can put up a electric fence next week but there might not be anything left by then it's just one deer but it's eating EVERYTHING
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 11:58:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Right now I need cattle repellent. When anyone's cattle get out, they make a beeline for my yard and eventually walk through the garden. I've had to reseed crowder peas twice this week.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 9:53:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Right now I need cattle repellent. When anyone's cattle get out, they make a beeline for my yard and eventually walk through the garden. I've had to reseed crowder peas twice this week.
View Quote

Rideyes for days!
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#23]
spaghetti squash.

Link Posted: 6/5/2021 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Had those and we like them but like Acorn better we cook them halved with sausage cheese and marinara so so good
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 5:37:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Bird house gourds
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 6:45:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Plant cranberries, they look nice, provide ground cover, are edible and are perennials. No bog is needed, they actually do well in well drained soil.
View Quote

I did not know that.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 9:52:24 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm a sucker for hardy kiwi vines.  They are hardy down to zone 4, and if you get arctic kiwi, they survive even cooler.  They grow furless grape sized kiwis that can be eaten like seedless grapes.  
https://www.burntridgenursery.com/Hardy-Kiwi/products/25/
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#29]
The stems are tender, the flavor is mild and you can simply cut the shoots as they get long enough.  I love it because I can cut enough for dinner and leave the rest growing, instead of broccoli where you might get a few side heads but generally it all hits peak at once unless you staggered the planting.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Ginger and Turmeric are easy.  Just buy the rhizomes at the grocery store and plant.

Mexican sour gherkins are neat.  There are so many interesting varieties of common vegetables.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top