Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2020 2:18:16 PM EDT
We went to see a house today 30 mins away from work has all the bedrooms and bathrooms we need and added bonus it's secluded tucked back off a county road on a 10-acre lot with thick Southwest Texas brush.

This home is perfect and it's what we been looking for. Yet the yard has not been taken care of for some time and we saw the tall tail signs of snakes skins.

So I know I'm going to have to clear out some of the lands and looking for advice on snake boots and gloves wife and I talked about it and we said everyone in the house has to have snake boots.

I'm also thinking that a 20ga shotgun with birdshot would also be another tool. I'm all for snakes and not the type to go out of my way to kill it but if it's poisonous and near my home then sorry.

I was told to get outside cats also. Any other advice anyone would care to share would be a great help to me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 2:25:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeh, snakeboots but also eyeballs.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#2]
for rattlers i perfer chaps they can strike higher than boots. and taurs judge 45-410 3inch chamber 6inch barrel.if possabel control burn ever year.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:34:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Better off with snake chaps and they are good for keeping briar out of your legs also.  Not sure what to recommend for hand protection.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 4:44:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Most of the chaps only go knee-high how are they better than a knee-high boot? I can see where they would be good for the brush above the knee. Yet would not the Duluth fire hose pants also work?

Not trying to argue just asking questions from articles I have read and posts. Also, have the fire hose pants and they are nice in the brush. I have not used it in as thick of bush as this land has but come to think of it extra protection might be a good thing.

I was looking for more of the shotgun because it's going to be more useful for the wife and kids and 20ga because it's an easier round to be found but there is not a close gun dealer near the place. I feel better carrying my P320 or P226 with CCI shot rounds in it maybe just my Taurus light weight 38slp as I'm told hogs are in the area also.

Nice if I could just use the 300 BLK pistol I have for both.

Also anyone read or hear anything about these guys? Snake socks?
https://www.snakesox.com/shop-snake-gaiters-for-hiking
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 1:49:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tayous1:
Most of the chaps only go knee-high how are they better than a knee-high boot? I can see where they would be good for the brush above the knee. Yet would not the Duluth fire hose pants also work? 

Not trying to argue just asking questions from articles I have read and posts. Also, have the fire hose pants and they are nice in the brush. I have not used it in as thick of bush as this land has but come to think of it extra protection might be a good thing.

I was looking for more of the shotgun because it's going to be more useful for the wife and kids and 20ga because it's an easier round to be found but there is not a close gun dealer near the place. I feel better carrying my P320 or P226 with CCI shot rounds in it maybe just my Taurus light weight 38slp as I'm told hogs are in the area also.

Nice if I could just use the 300 BLK pistol I have for both. 

Also anyone read or hear anything about these guys? Snake socks?
https://www.snakesox.com/shop-snake-gaiters-for-hiking
View Quote

Hope you like slinging that shotgun EVERYTIME you are working outside.

I recommend the Taurus Judge series as well.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By IntoTheEther:

I hope you like slinging that shotgun every time you are working outside.

I recommend the Taurus Judge series as well.
View Quote

If going for a wheel gun I'd pick a 45LC Ruger Blackhawk can use CCI shotshell get an extra round and can use 45acp with a conversion also.

Not sure if the judge can handle full load hot 45 LC. I cast and reload 45 ACP and 45 LC. Much rather have a wheel gun that can take full load hot 45LC have an extra round. It makes sense since I also have hogs and mountain lions in the area.

Don't mind a sling but already have the problem of finding some type of holster/sheath for the 300 blk pistol that I also want to bring along.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#7]
So found some gloves that go up to your shoulder on Amazon they say they are used for dog,cat, birds and reptiles. Yet it does not say anything about them being able to stop a poisonous reptiles bite.

Thinking about the snake guns getting a lever action 22lr loading it with CCI pest control rounds I also have a 22 mag Heritage rough Rider single action pistol also with CCI pest control rounds. For myself a Ruger Blackhawk 45LC with 3 CCI pest control rounds and three heavy penetration rounds for hogs. Like a double action 45 LC but hard to find!

Wife has also talked about wanting her own pistol. I'm looking to get her a double action Ruger in 357 mag same set up CCI pest control rounds and three heavy penetration rounds.

Not looking for a long barrel gun for her like a 6' inch but also don't want a snub nose is there a Ruger or even Taurus ( I know some of you think they are trash. I have had mine for 10 years and never a problem.) That will fit? I'm wanting something at Max 5 inches and minimum 3 inches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top