Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2019 4:20:10 PM EDT
So I have been saving up for another weapon and I'm down to three that I have been thinking about.

These are not really "I need weapons." They are more like they would be nice extras.

First is a wheel gun that can use 45LC and 45 ACP I'd like a double action but can go with a single action. Reload and cast for 452. Like this to be more of a woods gun. Want the 45LC because I like the old caliber and you can load it as hot as you need it! Also looking later to maybe pick up a lever action.

Second bolt action rifle long range looking at 6.5 or 308 win. For hunting two and four legged animals. Im also interested in doing long range shooting for fun 1,000 yards or more.

Last I have been wanting for a long time and pushed it off a semi auto magazine feed 12 ga shotgun missed out when the Saiga 12 were dirt cheap. Now there is the Typhoon F12. I also have a lot a lot of 12 ga ammo mostly slug, 4 shot and 00 buck that I was given for free.

Like I said I have a weapon that can fill these right now. My old friend Mossberg 590A1 that I bought when I was 18 years old almost 22 years ago, have several pistols in 45 ACP and 40 S&W and a bolt action in 30-06. Also several AR-15 and my war rifle STG-58.

So as you can see these would be extra tools. I have my other bases covered and trying to save up for other weapons so I can have more then one as we all know one is none. Thanks for the advice!

Edited to add info.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe you should build a gas-less side charging long range upper for one of your ar lowers. Ar parts are at a great price right now, I still drool over my geissele sd-e trigger. With a match barrel and that in a cart youll pay what many charge for just a match bolt reciever... before the chassis etc. like i suggested to someone yesterday, maybe check out snipershide forum
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 5:31:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Personally I would get more use out of the .45 and would go Smith and Wesson but I already have long range bolt guns. Long range bolt guns vary significantly in their ability. GA Precision makes some incredibly accurate rifles buy once cry once but spendy. Tikka makes some very nice very accurate hunting rifles fairly light weight but better accuracy than most other rifle cause they dont leave the factory unless they shoot better than 1 moa.  I have a Savage police model 10FP that runs Accuracy International pattern 10 round mags (mag pul makes some in this pattern now) super accurate heavy barrel bolt gun might be the right choice for you.  Tikka does have a tactical model that runs 10 round mags their own pattern mag so more spendy than the high priced AI mags and that is one you should give serious consideration to ( I don't have one but if anyone wants to donate one I'd give it a good home).  Cost does not stop with the rifle you need an optic that will often cost as much as the rifle. SS 3-9x42 Tactical scope  this goes on sale several times a year (black friday, July 4, tax time.) Many high quality scopes are over $3000.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Rifle - Since you already have a .30-06 rifle, the .308 is almost a duplicate.  I'd go for one of the 6.5 long range calibers.

Revolver - I'd choose the .45 ACP to use the same ammo as your other .45 pistol.  The S&W 625 is a nice modern revolver (ask Jerry Miculek).  The M1917 WWI era revolvers are collectible and can be good shooters.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe you should build a gas-less side charging long range upper for one of your ar lowers. Ar parts are at a great price right now, I still drool over my geissele sd-e trigger. With a match barrel and that in a cart youll pay what many charge for just a match bolt reciever... before the chassis etc. like i suggested to someone yesterday, maybe check out snipershide forum
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'd need a AR-10 lower for the caliber I would want in a long range rifle. Long range I want to go 308 or 6.5 creed. Maybe I'm wrong? If so please tell me.

Quoted:
Personally I would get more use out of the .45 and would go Smith and Wesson but I already have long range bolt guns. Long range bolt guns vary significantly in their ability. GA Precision makes some incredibly accurate rifles buy once cry once but spendy. Tikka makes some very nice very accurate hunting rifles fairly light weight but better accuracy than most other rifle cause they dont leave the factory unless they shoot better than 1 moa.  I have a Savage police model 10FP that runs Accuracy International pattern 10 round mags (mag pul makes some in this pattern now) super accurate heavy barrel bolt gun might be the right choice for you.  Tikka does have a tactical model that runs 10 round mags their own pattern mag so more spendy than the high priced AI mags and that is one you should give serious consideration to ( I don't have one but if anyone wants to donate one I'd give it a good home).  Cost does not stop with the rifle you need an optic that will often cost as much as the rifle. SS 3-9x42 Tactical scope  this goes on sale several times a year (black friday, July 4, tax time.) Many high quality scopes are over $3000.
I was looking at the Tikka rifle and a few others read a lot a out the Ruger long range rifle also. I understand that the scope is going to cost a lot.

I would buy a cheap one at first until I could save up for a better scope.

Quoted:
Rifle - Since you already have a .30-06 rifle, the .308 is almost a duplicate.  I'd go for one of the 6.5 long range calibers.

Revolver - I'd choose the .45 ACP to use the same ammo as your other .45 pistol.  The S&W 625 is a nice modern revolver (ask Jerry Miculek).  The M1917 WWI era revolvers are collectible and can be good shooters.
Looking for something that can shoot both calibers 45LC and 45 ACP the more calibers the better! I like the 45LC it can do a lot be a defense caliber or stop a bear!

Also the 30-06 is a Springfield 1903 that I restored and I'm looking for a tapless scope. The 308 is a STG-58
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#5]
The comment of 45LC load it as hot as you need is subjective to the host. some or should I say most guns can handle much more than sammi pressures. Now if were talking Ruger's then yes that is a different story.  That being said I would go a Blackhawk(single action) with the convertable cylinders  (45lc and acp) or you could get the same in a redhawk (double action swing out cylinder) Ruger has a nice round but version of the Redhawk with a ~4.25" barrel and both cylinders. My co-worker has that redhawk just described, a bisley blackhawk and I have owned a tricked out standard blackhawk. The blackhawks work plenty well and aren't as bulky nor expensive as the red's.

For the bolt action 6.5 creedmore no doubt. ton's of options so pick your poison.

no comment on the scatter gun. (i'm kiss in that dept. the 590 would keep me more than happy) If I were to do a mag fed semi auto "slug gun" it would be in 458 socom, 450 bushmaster, ect...
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 7:09:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Like I said I have a weapon that can fill these right now. My old friend Mossberg 590A1 that I bought when I was 18 years old almost 22 years ago, have several pistols in 45 ACP and 40 S&W and a bolt action in 30-06. Also several AR-15 and my war rifle STG-58.
View Quote
Maybe you already have one, but in the .308 chambering I'd recommend you get yourself a CMP 'Service Grade Special' M1 Garand in .308/7.62 while you still can. The barrel will be a Criterion and, trust me, they are super-accurate. Probably the best M1 barrel-maker currently in the business. I have three M1s with Criterion tubes and they're easily my best shooters. Other parts, such as the receiver, bolt, and internals are in-spec USGI. The wood is new commercial - Dupage  -  but their stocks are good-looking and the lock-up is tight, which aids in promoting accuracy.

Surplus 7.62 and commercial equivalent 308 FMJ ball ammo are widely available due to the plethora of .308 ARs on the market, so finding ammo will be less difficult and less spendy than chasing down 'Garand-safe' 30-06 ball ammo, and a .308 M1 would be a nice semi-auto compliment to the '06 bolt rifle you already have.

There's no question that a .308 will put predators of all flavors down, and a .308 M1, being clip-fed, gives you a work-around for traveling thru, or to, non-free jurisdictions where anything fed by an oh-so-nefarious detachable magazine is banned or highly restricted.

Quoted:
View Quote
That's right -  which is why a .308 autoloader makes sense ... The 6.5? Not so much.

The OP can find .308/7.62 ammo anywhere in the U.S. The 6.5 is hardly ubiquitous; it's more of a dedicated handloading proposition for L.R. shooters who are looking to punch holes in 1K-yard targets, not big game at typical 'hunting' distances nor bad guys inside 100yds  during a SHTF event.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got little input as to the 45 wheel gun.  Ruger makes a convertible single action 45 colt with 45 ACP cylinder.  I don't know of much else, but that means little.

As to a bolt gun:  In my mind, my hunting firearms and my longer range shooting firearms tend to be different animals.  Most times, I want short, light, easy to carry hunting firearms.  Despite owning more than a dozen different hunting rifles, the one rifle that gets used the most -  by a VERY large margin -  is now 25 year old Rem Seven in 308.  It wears an original Leupold VariX III 1.75-6x scope.  This little package is the same length and weight as the much vaunted 'champion' of woods guns, the Win 94 30-30, but packs 308 punch, and by virtue of the scope has far greater useable range.  However, a long distance rifle this is not.  Its too short (velocity losses), too light (moves to much), and wears a low power variable.

For longer range shooting, I use a Tikka CTR, 20", in 6.5 Creed with a Leupold VX6 2-12x.  Scarily accurate and a pleasure to shoot.  This rifle is far more accurate, and far easier to shoot accurately, than the Seven.  However, this is not a light rifle.  It feels like a howitzer compared to carrying the Seven.  Completely adequate for hunting from fixed blinds.  But carry all day woods cruising?  Too damned heavy....

I'm a huge fan of light portable rifles.  But it comes at a price:  Light portable rifles, those easy to carry all day, tend to be really hard to shoot really well.  Its sort of like the usual CCW compromise:  Do I pack a really light easy to carry firearm like a Ruger LCP?  Or do I opt for the full-sized, heavier, more powerful handgun like the full-sized 1911?  Those tradeoffs always involve compromise...

Value for money, with decent handling characteristics and accuracy, look hard at some variant of Tikka T3x....
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 8:36:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've got little input as to the 45 wheel gun.  Ruger makes a convertible single action 45 colt with 45 ACP cylinder.  I don't know of much else, but that means little.
View Quote
Similar, but I'm putting the Ruger Blackhawk SA convertible on my list.  I'm option to go .357/9mm, but would plan to mostly use the .357/38 cylinder to dial in for accuracy.  If you're going to make stout loads, Ruger's single actions are the way to go and will easily outlast your grand children.  I've gone back and forth on barrel length and while a longer barrel would make a better hunting platform, I going to go 4-5/8" for more frequent and easy of carry.  If I was you, I would go with the 45LC/45ACP Ruger convertible Blackhawk; makes sense for what you want in an outdoors gun, opens up reloading options and takes advantage of stocked .45ACP ammo.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Similar, but I'm putting the Ruger Blackhawk SA convertible on my list.  I'm option to go .357/9mm, but would plan to mostly use the .357/38 cylinder to dial in for accuracy.  If you're going to make stout loads, Ruger's single actions are the way to go and will easily outlast your grand children.  I've gone back and forth on barrel length and while a longer barrel would make a better hunting platform, I going to go 4-5/8" for more frequent and easy of carry.  If I was you, I would go with the 45LC/45ACP Ruger convertible Blackhawk; makes sense for what you want in an outdoors gun, opens up reloading options and takes advantage of stocked .45ACP ammo.

ROCK6  
View Quote
Barrel length has me also I use to own a 7 inch 45LC Blackhawk. I think I played with that pistol more then any other! Yet the 7 inch barrel was way to long.

I guess I'm going to have to go look at them.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Maybe you already have one, but in the .308 chambering I'd recommend you get yourself a CMP 'Service Grade Special' M1 Garand in .308/7.62 while you still can. The barrel will be a Criterion and, trust me, they are super-accurate. Probably the best M1 barrel-maker currently in the business. I have three M1s with Criterion tubes and they're easily my best shooters. Other parts, such as the receiver, bolt, and internals are in-spec USGI. The wood is new commercial - Dupage  -  but their stocks are good-looking and the lock-up is tight, which aids in promoting accuracy.

Surplus 7.62 and commercial equivalent 308 FMJ ball ammo are widely available due to the plethora of .308 ARs on the market, so finding ammo will be less difficult and less spendy than chasing down 'Garand-safe' 30-06 ball ammo, and a .308 M1 would be a nice semi-auto compliment to the '06 bolt rifle you already have.

There's no question that a .308 will put predators of all flavors down, and a .308 M1, being clip-fed, gives you a work-around for traveling thru, or to, non-free jurisdictions where anything fed by an oh-so-nefarious detachable magazine is banned or highly restricted.

That's right -  which is why a .308 autoloader makes sense ... The 6.5? Not so much.

The OP can find .308/7.62 ammo anywhere in the U.S. The 6.5 is hardly ubiquitous; it's more of a dedicated handloading proposition for L.R. shooters who are looking to punch holes in 1K-yard targets, not big game at typical 'hunting' distances nor bad guys inside 100yds  during a SHTF event.
View Quote
I have a STG-58 the best 308 battle rifle ever made! I'm looking for a precision rifle something for long range.

I do reload and feel that a 120 or 143 gr bullet is more then enough to take all two legged and most 4 legged animals here in North America!
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Barrel length has me also I use to own a 7 inch 45LC Blackhawk. I think I played with that pistol more then any other! Yet the 7 inch barrel was way to long.

I guess I'm going to have to go look at them.
View Quote
They are selling 3.75" barreled blackhawks I want to say through the lipsey's catalog. Here is one I had done by Gary Reeder in Flagstaff, AZ.

was a 4" barrel with all the roll marks removed and a beautiful reblue job, recessed crown, action/trigger job, free pawled, wide hammer. Man do I miss it

It was no slouch either. loaded with 24gr of H110 and some 255gr Keith's it had some serious bark!

And since this is a survival discussion one could argue with a casting mold in hand you could keep this thing fed for many centuries to come. use pull down powder or make black powder, then re-prime primers with matches or find a way to make flash powder. a 255gr keith even at black powder speeds will kill any man or beast with proper shot placement.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a couple of areo precision ar-10 (.308). They are awsome! If you want somthing to work on you can put a 80% lowere with a ar10 upper. I cerakoted my own. Did one in kal tec blue and the other in woodland camo.

You could get a IWI tavor 7 (in .308) when they come out this year. The tavor 7 is a bullpup rifle. I have a IWI x95 and i love it

You could also do a galie ace 308 or CZ bren also can do 308 as well i think.

Im a big fan of just using .308 instrad of branching out int other calibers. 308 can be bought fairly cheap, its everywhere, works great, and i have at least 5 guns that all use it. So i just have to buy and store one caliber.

For 12g you could do a bullpup shotgun. I have a kal tec ksg and it works great. Extremely compact and very high capacity. There are other bulpup 12g. If you want a mag fed mossber has one now. And i have seen at least 3 other brands .

Wheel guns.. got nothing for ya. I dont care for then...
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 4:38:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

For 12g you could do a bullpup shotgun. I have a kal tec ksg and it works great. Extremely compact and very high capacity. There are other bulpup 12g. If you want a mag fed mossber has one now. And i have seen at least 3 other brands .
View Quote
They Typhoon F12 is an AR-15 style 12 ga has 10 round magazines and drums will be out soon. I have a tube feed and I'm never going to buy the Mossberg 500 with the magazine.

That magazine just looks so cumbersome and awkward! The shotgun was not designed for a magazine!
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 10:36:17 PM EDT
[#14]
If you liked the Saiga, the Lynx 12 is basically a product-improved Saiga 12 already "converted" for $350-400, and uses common Saiga magazines and drums.

Not quite as cool looking as the Typhoon of course!
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 12:44:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a .45 Colt Redhawk and 4 5/8 blackhawk. Neither a convertible.

I'm thinking about trading the Redhawk in as I just don't shoot it well. It feels clunky and I don't need the strength. I typically reload 250 swc at 1200fps. A Smith and Wesson Mountain gun would work, and carry better.

If I want to carry a SA then I'll have my Blackhawk which is accurate and lighter. My 16" m92 goes great with it.

A .308 bolt with good glass is the type of gun that every one should have.

I have a Savage hog hunter that I fit to an accustock and put a vortex 2.5-10x32 scope on it. Kinda heavy after lugging it all day over mountains but manageable. I like the magazines and it makes a great, general purpose gun.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 7:44:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They Typhoon F12 is an AR-15 style 12 ga has 10 round magazines and drums will be out soon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They Typhoon F12 is an AR-15 style 12 ga has 10 round magazines and drums will be out soon.
Quoted:
If you liked the Saiga, the Lynx 12 is basically a product-improved Saiga 12 already "converted" for $350-400, and uses common Saiga magazines and drums.

Not quite as cool looking as the Typhoon of course!
Everything I read, the Lynx is pretty solid.  If I didn't have my Saiga setup and wanted a magazine fed shotgun, I would really consider investing in the Typhoon F12.  Features are more familiar and it's got a pretty good following for competitions.  Not sure if they need much tweaking, but I like their magazine designs.  If on a lower budget and/or an AK-guy, I would be all over the Lynx.

Of course, if budget was not a concern, the easy answer would Fostech's Origin-12 "12 gauge firearm" (and eventually NFA it).  I almost ordered one when in Afghanistan...it's still on my list, just way down the list

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Everything I read, the Lynx is pretty solid.  If I didn't have my Saiga setup and wanted a magazine fed shotgun, I would really consider investing in the Typhoon F12.  Features are more familiar and it's got a pretty good following for competitions.  Not sure if they need much tweaking, but I like their magazine designs.  If on a lower budget and/or an AK-guy, I would be all over the Lynx.

Of course, if budget was not a concern, the easy answer would Fostech's Origin-12 "12 gauge firearm" (and eventually NFA it).  I almost ordered one when in Afghanistan...it's still on my list, just way down the list

https://www.hyattgunstore.com/images/D/Fostech-origin-12-sbv.jpg

ROCK6
View Quote
Agree the Fostech's Origin-12 is a sweet looking shotgun! To bad about the price it's just to much even with an LEO discount it's still way to high!

The Typhoon F12 does have a lot going for it being more like the AR set up. As you have seen a lot of competition shooters have said it's a great weapon!

Kind of stuck between the 12ga and long range weapon! The 45LC is more of a fun gun but would like it!

Right now it's just a choice should I go long or close range? I do want to get them all but what one first? Kind of feel that the semi auto shotgun will be ban before the bolt action and wheel gun!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top