Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2021 11:28:00 PM EDT
Trying to get up to speed on diy Wind Turbines and Solar Panels for homestead type use. Planning to build a barn house and move soon, will be starting from scratch with the yard. Just looking for some examples, advice or good resources to learn more, most videos or articles I find up are from people trying to be green and they hire consultants and work done, I need the redneck/farmboy do it yourself version!

We are not looking to live offgrid, just supplement/backup, but we wouldn't be opposed to eventually producing enough to be off grid capable if the cost/effort is reasonable. I know I can't hire this stuff done, but that's ok, no code or inspection worries in our area and I'm no stranger to wiring and installing stuff.

We're on a pretty good high spot, and it's Oklahoma, so wind power is an attractive option, we have commercial wind farms all around us, but nothing close enough to be an interference either. I would prefer something that doesn't need babysitting when we get storm gusts if possible,  I saw some options that tilt up with high winds, but need to research that more.

Solar Panels seem easier and less maintenance in some ways, but with less productivity and we do always have that risk of hail damage too. These would most likely be freestanding in the yard or mounted to a covered porch or shed, etc. If freestanding I would definitely fabricate my own stands, and probably incorporate some tilt adjustment for winter vs summer sun and probably tilt them vertical to offer some hail protection if it's predicted.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 12:10:11 AM EDT
[#1]
i dpnt know muchaabout em, but i plan to compress air with one when i get round to it...stic k the air in propane tanks, daisy chained together like the amish do (wind turbine that is)
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 5:00:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Wind power is very maintenance-intensive - Lots of moving parts.

That's not a problem for electric utilities, since they are constantly doing maintenance and repair on other various parts of their systems already - They have people for that.

For individuals, it's a hassle.

Conversely, solar is the sort of system you plop down somewhere, and then pretty much forget about it for the next decade or so.

You may need to do some battery maintenance occasionally - or wash the bird poop off the panels - but not much other than that.

Unless you live somewhere with constant, ridiculously high winds - or somewhere where the sun never shines - solar is almost always better.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wind power is very maintenance-intensive - Lots of moving parts.

That's not a problem for electric utilities, since they are constantly doing maintenance and repair on other various parts of their systems already - They have people for that.

For individuals, it's a hassle.

Conversely, solar is the sort of system you plop down somewhere, and then pretty much forget about it for the next decade or so.

You may need to do some battery maintenance occasionally - or wash the bird poop off the panels - but not much other than that.

Unless you live somewhere with constant, ridiculously high winds - or somewhere where the sun never shines - solar is almost always better.
View Quote

I'm part of a family farm operation, maintenance and repair is pretty much all I do

But seriously if it needs new bearings every other year or something like that it's not a big deal, we've got equipment to either go up and fix it or let it down easily.

I know we've got an old school windmill on one of our farms, no longer pumping water, but that thing has been out there freewheeling since it was taken out of service and it's still going. Who knows how many years that thing has been spinning with zero care or maintenance, but I know this is different. I always thought it would be pretty cool to reuse that old windmill!

I'm not thrilled with the coat and size to output ratio of solar, wind seems to have it beat by far, is the main reason I'm wanting to look into it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Check out savonius wind turbines.  They are easy to build and durable.  I built one and used it for a year to keep stock water tank from freezing.  The wind turbine worked fine and required little maintenance (greased bearings once a month) but when it gets cold, the wind does not always blow.  Wind is not a reliable source of power.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 1:44:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Check out savonius wind turbines.  They are easy to build and durable.  I built one and used it for a year to keep stock water tank from freezing.  The wind turbine worked fine and required little maintenance (greased bearings once a month) but when it gets cold, the wind does not always blow.  Wind is not a reliable source of power.
View Quote

Well I could build that easy, wonder how the efficiency compares to traditional prop style ones, more reading to do.

As far as reliability we will be tied into the grid for sure, I love redundancy, so if it went down or wind doesn't blow not a big deal. But here it's windy way more than it's not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top