Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2020 3:14:58 PM EDT
So once I can find time to get to doing a title transfer, my Dad’s boat will be mine.   We had to wait for the death certificate.  
Its just a 15’ Starcraft aluminum boat like a bass boat but not as fancy.   Carpeted floods and raised now and stern.  Probably 1985 vintage or so,
It hasn’t been on the water for I bet 15 years.  It is in decent shape all in all.
So beyond the motor, which is only a 10HP Mercury (there are some lakes in PA we used to fish a lot that only allowed up to 10HP), what is a good fish finder now?
Seems like mid and upper range have GPS.  Nice for storing locations I guess
I have an older hummingbird 3D.  But the resolution on the new sonars seems to be impressive
Also had a side scan of some sort I don’t recall, but it never worked well.   I bought all these years ago, as an upgrade to the one my Dad and uncle bought with the boat.   A Ray Jefferson I think. What a load of junk. Must’ve had a 1 degree sonar beam.  I think it only ever picked up one fish on the screen
Mostly where I’d fish it’s not going to be large water or that deep.   Especially not until I get at least a 25 HP motor for it.  It think the hull is placarded for up to 40?
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Im a fan of humminbird.  I did just put a 9"  garmin on my little 15' aluminum though. If your thinking about SI, i would recommend doing no less than a 7".  I find myself using gps, sonar, and side imaging more than DI.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Humminbird Helix 5 G2 DI GPS or Helix 7 DI/SI G2 GPS will do everything you need including storing lake maps and autocharting your own maps.  
Lowrance and Garmin both have good products as well, I just have more experience with the helix models.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 6:09:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll chime in that any of the big companies are fine to go with. I have a lowrance reveal 9 tripleshot on my kayak and will agree that if you're using sidescan, a minimum of 7" will be preferred. Garmin, Lowrance, Humminbird, are all g2g.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mercinarysniper:
I'll chime in that any of the big companies are fine to go with. I have a lowrance reveal 9 tripleshot on my kayak and will agree that if you're using sidescan, a minimum of 7" will be preferred. Garmin, Lowrance, Humminbird, are all g2g.
View Quote

I have the lowrance hook 7 triple shot on my kayak.  Anytime I get in water < 2.5 it basically locks up any depth reading and I'm forced to restart the unit.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 9:02:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By DirtNasty:

I have the lowrance hook 7 triple shot on my kayak.  Anytime I get in water < 2.5 it basically locks up any depth reading and I'm forced to restart the unit.
View Quote
Interesting. I have not run into that issue with the 9 on my PA, or the elite 4 on my BG2. The elite 4 had issues but it was related to me and getting the transducer into gnarly situations.
How do you have your transducer mounted?
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:39:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By mercinarysniper:
Interesting. I have not run into that issue with the 9 on my PA, or the elite 4 on my BG2. The elite 4 had issues but it was related to me and getting the transducer into gnarly situations.
How do you have your transducer mounted?
View Quote

Its on a 2019 Hobie Outback so its mounted on the retractable plate.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top