Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2019 7:13:26 PM EDT
I presently have a dilapidated fuel storage cabinet. I have used it to store fuel in the past though due to the heat in the non air conditioned building it has had cans over pressure in the past and leak fuel in the container.
Given that I have a newly painted floor, I'm not wanting to dump gasoline on to the new paint.
Many ideas will help.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#1]
dont fill the cans??  
i rotate thru 5 milspec plastic gas cans, in use for 9 years so far..
in summer I only fill about 3.5 gallons.. gives room for expansion
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I am not sure what a fuel storage cabinet is.  I have always used the metal NATO cans and they have never leaked even in this Az heat.

https://deutscheoptik.com/20-Liter-Jerry-Can-SET-OF-FOUR.html
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 10:42:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for...

A better can that won't overpressure or leak? We would need to know what you had before and what the climate/storage conditions are...

NATO and military cans are generally the best at not leaking but they can get pricey if you're storing more fuel. If you want best value storage that will stay airtight 55 gallon petroleum drums are great storage for cheap...
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 12:32:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Other good storage solutions are repurposed hot water tanks, or say 100# propane tanks, with adequate safety pressure relief valves.

If desired, a larger bung can be installed in either, by torch brazing or silicon bronze TIG 'brazing' [easier].

Bung weldments are available from McMaster Carr for about $10.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 5:58:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am not sure what a fuel storage cabinet is.  I have always used the metal NATO cans and they have never leaked even in this Az heat.

View Quote
I've not been lucky with those, had 2; both leaked after less than 2 years of use. One on a seam the other got a pin hole in the body..no dent, wasn't mistreated, just "Ruptured"
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 7:40:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for...

A better can that won't overpressure or leak? We would need to know what you had before and what the climate/storage conditions are...

NATO and military cans are generally the best at not leaking but they can get pricey if you're storing more fuel. If you want best value storage that will stay airtight 55 gallon petroleum drums are great storage for cheap...
View Quote
Agreed.

Attachment Attached File

Put them on pallets or tarps etc. not concrete.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:01:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've not been lucky with those, had 2; both leaked after less than 2 years of use. One on a seam the other got a pin hole in the body..no dent, wasn't mistreated, just "Ruptured"
View Quote
I mean this in the nicest possible way but you’re either the unluckiest guy on earth or you bought Chinese jerry cans.  There’s a container for every circumstance and only you know what’s right for yours but if you decide to use cans then spend some time reading the fuel can oracle pinned at the top of this page.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:34:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 9:04:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

3. Don't fill them all the way, you need some expansion room- this isn't the place to be OCD. 4.5 gallons typically will be about max in a can.
View Quote
I don't understand this....

The NATO and US Jerry cans are designed to hold the specified amount of fuel and still maintain adequate air-volume for expansion.

The coefficient of thermal expansion of gasoline is less than 1/3 the coefficient of air. But air is compressible also. I didn't run it through calculations because it's complicated to account for the varied expansions & the changing vapor pressure of the gasoline but my gut instinct is that the pressure in the doesn't change much no matter how much air you leave in there unless you happen to overfill and there isn't enough expansion space, at which point the pressure will rise sharply. But like I said, the expansion space is designed into the can. I always fill my cans to spec and I've never had any problems.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did you source them from?
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 12:16:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Beer keg
2"Sanitary cap
Trilock
Viton oring.

Can roll
wont leak
Holds pressure
Can be pressurized with propane to "pump" gas if you want.
Wont rust
Last forever.

Link Posted: 6/21/2019 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I treat metal nato cans a little like ammo cans.  If they need paint or a bit of help, they get it.  No I don't want brand new cans to need sealed inside or something but a seam leaking would probably have me buy some of the gas tank sealer they make for motorcycle gas tanks and coat the inside with that.  Yes that stuff is expensive.  But a well sealed can is worth what to you?

The pin hole, I would be looking at jb weld or something maybe.  Course might also have to open hole up a bit to make it so the jb weld can get ahold of it and seal.  They make one for gas tanks.

This can would be the one I used for lawn mower gas probably.  Give it some rough handling and use and see if it holds up or not.

I think any storage should have "all the above" answers.

Fuel, water, food, whatever.

Small easily portable container for what you are using to rotate.  Next larger size can be moved by you but can also be used to refill easily portable container a few times as well.  Eventually we probably get to the big containers like a 55 gallon drum that I won't be moving full unless it is on a pallet and I have a pallet jack or I feel like trying to roll it on its bottom edge and not screw up.

Nothing wrong with kegs or propane canisters or whatever.  Good solid container that is not self venting at average temps and pressures is my goal.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 11:03:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Probably just me but they always seem to send a blast your way when opening them so I've always kept it a little from the top. Probably not always exactly 4.5 gallons however. Maybe me just being cautious???

I'll have to watch better at the pump next fuel run and see what the average is I'm putting in each can.

Edited to add- my first thought was "what's 1/4 or 1/2 gallon" but then I thought about the number of cans we have/use. And yes it adds up.
View Quote
Ah, now I understand what you mean. Yes, due to the design that prevents over-filling (reserving the necessary air-space for expansion) they do have a tendency to "burp" fuel out if they've warmed up (expanded) since filling. To me this is reassuring that they're holding pressure good, but the fuel waste is annoying so I've gotten in the habit of tipping them back (making the gas bubble move to the lid side) then slowly cracking them open when they're full.

If you've found that leaving them a bit under-filled works for you then don't let my criticism be the driving factor in your storage. I just didn't understand what you were getting at. I thought your concern was with over-pressurizing the tank.

That being said, I'm not willing to give up that storage space so I've modified my procedures to keep the problem at bay.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 9:11:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 10:50:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I have 5 of the douch opticks cans and rotate them every year. On year 3 now. Never had a leak or issue. I fill them to about 5 gallons but I do it on a hot day (in texas) so the air in there is already pretty expanded. Typically no blow off when opened when I do it this way.

However I had just a little bit of gas in them and they sat in my hot truck all day before i filled them. THOSE blew gas everywhere. I think there was more room to expand the gas
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#17]
I should have been more specific, you are correct.

I live in Central Florida
The type of Gas Cans I use are:
Walmart Specials

and also Scepter MFC

The problem I have is, with the heat if the cans are sealed properly they will expand. So what I have ended up doing, is loosening the cap slightly to allow for pressure release. This is more so with the 87 octane 10% ethanol fuel. Now I had read that ethanol fuel is more volatile in heat. So the result either way I leave the cap, depending on heat is some of the fuel will spill out on heating up... I can and have put less fuel in the cans... Problem I run into in general is. The main purpose of having the fuel is for during hurricane season. Less gas in can, leaves less gas on hand for its intended purpose.

What I am trying to find, is some sort of pan that will fit under and "flam Box" like this.

All be it, the one I have is not as nice. It was used and had been tossed out for the trash. It helps a little vs the old method of storing my fuel on shelves. But now with the floor being freshly painted, Im looking to reduce the possibility of messing up the $500 paint job. I have searched for pans to put under this, just have not had much luck in locating something meant for the job.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:09:00 PM EDT
[#18]
In previous discussions someone explained that gas does not expand with temps, the air is what is is expanding and creating pressure.

These new cans have vent systems and since that is probably where the air is it might be sucking the gas along with it as you vent the setup.

Venting a can lets the highly volatile vapors out first.  So you are losing some of the best parts of the gas.

There are articles on the net about how to take the red can pictured and add a vent to the back part of the handle.  Then when you want to pour you can use it like a normal old style can.  Lot of youtube stuff shows using stuff for car tires but I don't think that rubber handles fuel long term, so do some reading and studying first.

I use red plastic eagle type safety cans for my lawn mowers.  So they get emptied and filled several times during the mowing seasons.  The nato style cans get filled and put away.

I do know from messing with one on a hot summer day to fill an empty gas tank in something they can spew fuel as you crack em open, using a tool to slowly open it vs. me finally forcing it open may have helped on that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Spill containment was the words I was looking for.. Thanks for bringing up the Eagle Fuel Can, their site lead me to it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
RJ- I would strongly consider ditching the plastic gas cans.
View Quote
Those are mainly used for lawn work anymore... I am trying to get back on track with purchasing more MFC's to cover my plan. I was going with the Jack Spirico method of fill a can a month. However the Scepter MFC's bulge out as well. Im not sure how we with did it in the army, the only exception of that being it was diesel fuel, which I guess does better in the heat.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#22]
If you have a lot of space I would look for a pallet spill containment setup someone is either getting rid of or clearing out.  Pallets usually hold 4 of the 55 gallon drums and those get damaged now and then.  No it won't hold 200 gallons but should hold the gas well.

Just plastic that chemicals won't attack from what I recall.

In our fuel can oracle someone has nice big farm tanks.  They poured a concrete floor and put up concrete brick to contain any major leaks.  Believe there is a code it was built to but I forget.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I was at Rural Kind today and considered 55 gallon drums. But was curious about these.. Never used before, I am thinking it would give me more capacity that I presently have, and less issues/ concerns of leaking. Only problem I can think of is I tend to move stuff around a lot thinking of better places for things.
Though this time around, I am thinking of more permanent spots for things.

This is a 96 gallon transfer tank. I understand putting it in there somehow. BUt wheres the pump go? Left or right hole?
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Those are mainly used for lawn work anymore... I am trying to get back on track with purchasing more MFC's to cover my plan. I was going with the Jack Spirico method of fill a can a month. However the Scepter MFC's bulge out as well. Im not sure how we with did it in the army, the only exception of that being it was diesel fuel, which I guess does better in the heat.
View Quote
The volatile components of gas create pressure in heat because they're trying to evaporate but the pressure in the container prevents it. The MFCs are meant to contain that pressure w/o failing. It is that airtight storage, that keeps the pressure in that makes fuel last years in storage. You WANT that pressure to build. Don't vent it.

That being said, diesel fuel has a much lower vapor pressure compared to gas. That's why the cans bulge with gas but they didn't in the military w/ diesel.

Just to reiterate, pressure inside a fuel container is good. That's what keeps your gas good. If your container is NOT holding pressure you should be concerned.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 7:25:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Watched a couple videos on the transfer pump/ tank... I get it...
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The volatile components of gas create pressure in heat because they're trying to evaporate but the pressure in the container prevents it. The MFCs are meant to contain that pressure w/o failing. It is that airtight storage, that keeps the pressure in that makes fuel last years in storage. You WANT that pressure to build. Don't vent it.

That being said, diesel fuel has a much lower vapor pressure compared to gas. That's why the cans bulge with gas but they didn't in the military w/ diesel.

Just to reiterate, pressure inside a fuel container is good. That's what keeps your gas good. If your container is NOT holding pressure you should be concerned.
View Quote
So, the  bulging wont cause the cap to pop off on the red? or crack the can on the mfc? interesting
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 12:08:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So, the  bulging wont cause the cap to pop off on the red? or crack the can on the mfc? interesting
View Quote
Shouldn't be a problem for the MFC...

All bets are off on the red plastic... I have had a couple red cans split at the seam before. And by split I mean develop pin-hole leaks.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 12:30:05 PM EDT
[#28]
The 100gal transfer tank is a good option. They are generally cheaper, per gallon stored.  (20-5gal cans at $15 ea. is $300)

You can find them for $250ish on sale. They suck for portability tho. A full one is in the 700lb range. The best way to move them is on a pallet, with a piece of plywood on it.

Typically, the paint on them is pretty crappy. Another thing I discovered it that they don't like to be hauled longways in the truck. There is an internal slosh baffle that will flex and eventually crack the welds.

For protecting your floor, I would start with the big drip pans designed to go under cars. They are 3'x4'ish x 1" deep. It won't contain a major spill, but will help with dribbles and burps from the cans.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:53:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Typically, the paint on them is pretty crappy. Another thing I discovered it that they don't like to be hauled longways in the truck. There is an internal slosh baffle that will flex and eventually crack the welds.
View Quote
I've been around numerous tanks hauled around in farm trucks and service trucks for years and never seen that happen. Makes me wonder if that was a super cheap tank with walls way too thin to support a baffle?
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 11:05:34 PM EDT
[#30]
It is mentioned in the fuel oracle that a lot of the in bed tanks are designed for diesel and not so much for gasoline.

Some of you folks discussing these tanks want to chime in if they had gas in em?

I had a diesel pickup for a bit.  Bought an aluminum in bed fuel tank and it stated for diesel use only.  I did not plumb it into the truck, just used it to fill the truck now and then.  It was easy fuel storage and truck was overkill for me so keeping some weight in the bed was a good thing.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 8:32:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I've been around numerous tanks hauled around in farm trucks and service trucks for years and never seen that happen. Makes me wonder if that was a super cheap tank with walls way too thin to support a baffle?
View Quote
I don't think so. One was an "Attwoods" house brand, the other I don't remember. When they swapped out the defective one, I asked if this happens a lot. the store manager said no.

All I can figure is that the tanks were designed to be mounted cross-bed and this didn't give near the amount of sloshing against the baffle.

I had an aluminum 60gal tank/toolbox that made over 750,000 miles in two trucks without issue.

Only the ones that were carried longways in the bed.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 8:42:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I don't think so. One was an "Attwoods" house brand, the other I don't remember. When they swapped out the defective one, I asked if this happens a lot. the store manager said no.

All I can figure is that the tanks were designed to be mounted cross-bed and this didn't give near the amount of sloshing against the baffle.

I had an aluminum 60gal tank/toolbox that made over 750,000 miles in two trucks without issue.

Only the ones that were carried longways in the bed.
View Quote
Haha, I misunderstood what you were saying. I now understand what mean. "Longways" in your first response told me "long distances" not the orientation of the tank...

Yeah, I can see running one around a lot with it mounted 90 degrees from the intended orientation could cause problems with the baffle. Typically the only time I see people put them in that way it is temporary and they pull it back out shortly after using it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 2:58:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are these cans GTG genuine NATO?  Just bought a Wavian that was way more expensive for the truck, but I want more cans for home storage.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 9:07:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Keep in mind what I'm looking for is for home storage. Not driving around. Once full to any degree it's not moving beyond being 5 gallons
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 11:44:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Because the cheap cans leak at the seams, you will find you either buy the good cans or have a plan when the cheap cans leak.  I have a couple quart cans of gas tank sealant around here someplace, not sure how long it is good for.

My personal opinion is risk a deal price and consider you may have to chase gas tank sealer that ruins your deal price.

But if you caught a good sale, yay.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 1:47:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Op needs genuine steel NATO cans and genuine pour spout.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 6:51:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Are these cans GTG genuine NATO?  Just bought a Wavian that was way more expensive for the truck, but I want more cans for home storage.
View Quote
The Optick cans may or may not use the same spout that fits your Wavian and most folks think the Wavian is the better can.

I'm not sure this is still active or not (it looks like it is) but this price is close enough that I'd pay the small premium and stick to the Wavians.

https://www.lucky8llc.com/products/land-rover-nato-style-jerry-can-20l-5-gal-european-military-spec-set-x2
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 8:19:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Same cans as what @Dace posted.

$82. for two them is a bit steep, but shipping costs are stupid on these.

Yes it is a different funnel than previous Euro cans.
View Quote
I don't think I understand what you're trying to say.

The cans DeutscheOptik sells are made in Poland, Wavians are made in Latvia.  They are similar but not identical cans and most folks think the Wavians are the better can.  The fuel can oracle posted at the top of the forum has lots of discussion about this.

The Optik offer is for 4 cans shipped @ $156.00.

The link I posted is for 2 cans shipped @ $82.00, so 4 cans shipped @ 164.00.  I would pay the $8.00 premium for Wavians.  This is especially true since he already has a Wavian.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The cans DeutscheOptik sells are made in Poland, Wavians are made in Latvia.  They are similar but not identical cans and most folks think the Wavians are the better can.  The fuel can oracle posted at the top of the forum has lots of discussion about this.

The link I posted is for 2 cans shipped @ $82.00, so 4 cans shipped @ 164.00.  I would pay the $8.00 premium for Wavians.  This is especially true since he already has a Wavian.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same cans as what @Dace posted.

$82. for two them is a bit steep, but shipping costs are stupid on these.

Yes it is a different funnel than previous Euro cans.

Wavian is nothing but a company importing the cans.  There is no such thing as a "Wavian" NATO can.  Wavian is a US brokerage company that imports another companies fuel cans. The link you posted are not Wavian cans (call them, I did). True NATO cans are all made by either VALPRO (Latvia) or GELG (Poland).  GELGs cans actually exceed the NATO standard for metal thickness.  It is nothing but pure preference what one person like between VALPRO or GELG and neither is "better".  Both are used by NATO countries.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Wavian is nothing but a company importing the cans.  There is no such thing as a "Wavian" NATO can.  Wavian is a US brokerage company that imports another companies fuel cans. The link you posted are not Wavian cans (call them, I did). True NATO cans are all made by either VALPRO (Latvia) or GELG (Poland).  GELGs cans actually exceed the NATO standard for metal thickness.  It is nothing but pure preference what one person like between VALPRO or GELG and neither is "better".  Both are used by NATO countries.
View Quote
Thanks, I'm aware of the relationship between Wavian and Valpro.  The cans sold in the US are marked Wavain so that's what's folks will be looking at when they search, shop or purchase.  Introducing Valpro to the mix in this  thread seems to be pointless.

I'll take your word for the maker of the cans at the link I posted.  However, the pictures they show are of Wavain cans and the last guy who posted about buying cans from them received Wavain's.  If that's changed it's a pity.  Strange, I just called (716-898-8153) and the guy on the phone assured me they were genuine Wavian cans.

I'm not the only one who prefers the Wavians over the Polish cans, you can read all about it in the Fuel Can thread pinned at the top of the forum.  As well, the spout and adaptor options are significantly better for the Wavian cans, if that matters to the buyer.  Regardless, it's your money so buy what you like.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 2:24:13 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote
Your blue drum looks great. How do you fill and transport it though?
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 10:07:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
As well, the spout and adaptor options are significantly better for the Wavian cans, if that matters to the buyer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
As well, the spout and adaptor options are significantly better for the Wavian cans, if that matters to the buyer.
Aren't we talking about NATO cans? I thought the spouts were mostly universal?

I don't have a great deal of experience but NATO cans and various spouts. I can tell you what I have that works.

My love for NATO cans started with 4 Swiss cans I scored on Craigslist for $30 (total). I got them and realized what all the hype was about. I picked up 8 more mil-surp from Major's last year for ~$24 each (a mix of Valpro and GELG) when another member posted them here in this forum. I finally broke down and ordered a Swiss spout from one of only 2 places you still find them. It was pricey @ $60 but IMHO well worth it. The crappy chinese spout that the guy threw in with the Swiss cans on CL got canned (no pun intended). The chinese spout AND the Swiss spout fit all 12 of my cans no problem.

Quoted:

Your blue drum looks great. How do you fill and transport it though?
I can't speak for the poster you quoted but he mentioned putting it on a pallet. I would assume he has a way of moving/loading a pallet.

In my case I have a mixed fuel storage approach. I have 12 NATO cans, those are used for filling vehicles and can be easily transported. I also have some drums of fuel, they pretty much stay put. I siphon fuel from the drums into the NATO cans when the cans need refilled.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Aren't we talking about NATO cans? I thought the spouts were mostly universal?

I don't have a great deal of experience but NATO cans and various spouts. I can tell you what I have that works.

My love for NATO cans started with 4 Swiss cans I scored on Craigslist for $30 (total). I got them and realized what all the hype was about. I picked up 8 more mil-surp from Major's last year for ~$24 each (a mix of Valpro and GELG) when another member posted them here in this forum. I finally broke down and ordered a Swiss spout from one of only 2 places you still find them. It was pricey @ $60 but IMHO well worth it. The crappy chinese spout that the guy threw in with the Swiss cans on CL got canned (no pun intended). The chinese spout AND the Swiss spout fit all 12 of my cans no problem.
View Quote
Yes, we are talking about NATO cans and no, the spouts aren't always universal.  The Gelg's can be different enough in the lock up so a Valpro/Wavain spout won't even fit on the can and some can's (including from other manufacturers) have a different air vent inside that can interfere with newer spouts.  I don't know if it's still true but as recently as late 2017 the 20L Gelg used a different spout that the 10L Gelg.  WTF?

I believe I was the one that posted that deal from Major Surplus (link below)  and if that's true you received Valpro and Bellinio cans, no Gelg's.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/PSA-maybe-Surplus-NATO-jerry-cans/17-692233/

That Swiss spout is awesome.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yes, we are talking about NATO cans and no, the spouts aren't always universal.  The Gelg's can be different enough in the lock up so a Valpro/Wavain spout won't even fit on the can and some can's (including from other manufacturers) have a different air vent inside that can interfere with newer spouts.  I don't know if it's still true but as recently as late 2017 the 20L Gelg used a different spout that the 10L Gelg.  WTF?

I believe I was the one that posted that deal from Major Surplus (link below)  and if that's true you received Valpro and Bellinio cans, no Gelg's.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/PSA-maybe-Surplus-NATO-jerry-cans/17-692233/

That Swiss spout is awesome.
View Quote
Thanks for the info... and you're right, Bellinio and Valpro, not GELG... got confused there... I'm still somewhat newish to NATO cans as you can probably tell.

If the info you provided on the spouts is true then I would say stay away from GELG then...

Concur fully on the Swiss spout... I can empty a 20L can in about 35 seconds. But don't tell anybody else or the price will just keep going up. They're already too expensive as it is...
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info... and you're right, Bellinio and Valpro, not GELG... got confused there... I'm still somewhat newish to NATO cans as you can probably tell.

If the info you provided on the spouts is true then I would say stay away from GELG then...

Concur fully on the Swiss spout... I can empty a 20L can in about 35 seconds. But don't tell anybody else or the price will just keep going up. They're already too expensive as it is...
View Quote
I would still want to check but I think the GELG 20L cans that are coming into the country now are probably fine.  I would definitely want to “try before I buy” before getting a 5L or 10L.  Or you could just go all in and buy nothing but GELG cans and spouts.  I know it sounds like I’m bad mouthing GELG here but that’s not my intention.  They are a well-made, well finished can.  When they first came into the country there were some issues that lingered on a little too long but, at least the last I heard, the new 20L’s were good.  Even if you end up getting one that doesn’t fit a NATO spout you can still use a super siphon, which is probably what most folks do with the larger can anyway.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 11:27:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The 100gal transfer tank is a good option. They are generally cheaper, per gallon stored.  (20-5gal cans at $15 ea. is $300)

You can find them for $250ish on sale. They suck for portability tho. A full one is in the 700lb range. The best way to move them is on a pallet, with a piece of plywood on it.

For protecting your floor, I would start with the big drip pans designed to go under cars. They are 3'x4'ish x 1" deep. It won't contain a major spill, but will help with dribbles and burps from the cans.
View Quote
Thank you for this reply.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 11:47:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top