Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2015 7:25:15 AM EDT
I use my Jack Russell to bird hunt. I know, you can laugh, but first you should watch her work. Granted she is not a perfect bird dog, she gets the job done. Trouble is in fields she gets her belly rubbed raw and none of the skid plates I can find fit small dogs. I'd also like a neoprene one for colder weather and maybe to take her on early season ducks. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate them.

I guess to answer your questions, my wife is allergic to dogs and said no to bigger dogs. Gotta work with what you got.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:09:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Grackle_killer:
I use my Jack Russell to bird hunt. I know, you can laugh, but first you should watch her work. Granted she is not a perfect bird dog, she gets the job done. Trouble is in fields she gets her belly rubbed raw and none of the skid plates I can find fit small dogs. I'd also like a neoprene one for colder weather and maybe to take her on early season ducks. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate them.

I guess to answer your questions, my wife is allergic to dogs and said no to bigger dogs. Gotta work with what you got.
View Quote

Sounds like it's time for a sewing project.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:56:51 AM EDT
[#2]
No recommendation OP but I would love to see a pic of your JR in the field.

Too cool.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Look for one for a cocker spaniel?  Ought to be about the same size.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#4]
might be small enough - chest protector:  http://www.gundogsupply.com/skid-plate-oreange.html
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:07:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Call a company that makes catch dog vests for patterdale terriers or pitbulls. See if they can make something with out the kevlar.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I own a dog dog cape company in Montana called Fleece Beasts.  We make capes from fleece and nylon, of various shapes and sizes. I am sure that we could build a cape or vest with an embedded chest plate that will fit your JRT.  If you like, you can look at our designs on Ebay.  Just look up "fleece beasts dog cape" and my listing will come up.  Or you can contact me directly at [email protected].
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:06:51 PM EDT
[#7]
This site amazes me every day!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top