Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2017 9:13:43 PM EDT
I looking for a really good fillet knife for a dads Christmas.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Define really good...Full custom? Or great off the rack?

I still have a ton of Rapala fillet knives but the wife got me a Bubba Blade this year and I seem to like it quite a bit.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 10:12:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm talking off the rack >50$ gift for my dad.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 10:29:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: trlrdrdave] [#3]
Dexter 2333-9  but its not that much. Is a heck of a knife. Add something else nice to it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 10:33:41 PM EDT
[#4]
IMHO filet knives are meant to be throwaways. Get him a nice Kershaw pocketknife. Mine is over ten years old and I use it EVERY day. I`m 63 BTW,,,and a Dad!
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ACEB36TC:
IMHO filet knives are meant to be throwaways.
View Quote
You haven't used a custom then.  The most popular high end fillet knife in the upper midwest, as well as southern Ontario and southern Manitoba is the Leech Lake Knife.  Tons of fishing guides choose these knives over electric knives even when faced with cleaning large amounts of fish like at Lake of the Woods resorts during ice fishing season.  These knives are flat out awesome.  
http://www.leechlakeknife.com/Home.html
https://www.reedssports.com/all-products/browse/brand/leech-lake-knives

For less money but still good steel, the kitchen aid commercial fillet knife is a pretty good choice as well.  I've cleaned 100 walleye and perch since August with my kitchen aid knife and haven't had to touch up the blade yet.  (my leech lake knife stays at the cabin.)
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 1:19:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ACEB36TC:
IMHO filet knives are meant to be throwaways. Get him a nice Kershaw pocketknife. Mine is over ten years old and I use it EVERY day. I`m 63 BTW,,,and a Dad!
View Quote
Maybe something like a Dexter or Rapala but a knife like a Silver Stag is something you keep, and keep a nice edge on. But for cleaning a cooler full of Mahi, I'd go with a Bubba Blade
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top