Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2020 7:13:04 AM EDT
Looking at the Model 70 Featherweight and the 77 Hawkeye  Hunter.

If both are a good choice, I’ll go with the Ruger just due to looks but wanted to make sure there weren’t any known issues with either.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 12:36:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you thought about howa? They have a sub moa guarentee.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#2]
have you considered the compass?
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 12:12:48 AM EDT
[#3]
OP,

I have both rifles.  My Winchester is a 270Win and the Rugers are 375 Ruger Hawkeye African and a 243Win Hawkeye.  My Winchester Model 70 was a great shooter right out of the box.  Two different types of factory ammo and hand loads shoot under an inch at 100yds.

My Ruger Hawkeye African model is also super accurate.  The 243Win hasn't thrilled me with it's groups.  Took a long time to figure out that about 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" was the best I was going to get with the rifle unless I were to dump money into bedding and a trigger job.

I have no regrets for buying the Winchester model 70.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I’d highly consider a Tikka OP.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 1:49:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’d highly consider a Tikka OP.
View Quote

The synth. stocks on the Tikka’s feel very cheap.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 2:14:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I can't speak for the M77, but the Winchester Featherweight I have bought 3 new ones in the last year.  A 7mm-08, 6.5 Creed, and a 243 Win.  Two of them had some issues that involved a burr/clearance issue on the 243 that wouldn't let the extractor snap over the case on feeding and a binding bolt on extraction on the 7mm-08.  The 6.5 Creed was fine.  Accuracy on all three was just average with factory and some basic handloads 1.25"-2.00'+ at 100 yds.  I love Model 70s with the controlled round feed but I think I will stick with the sporters or long action variety as the two newer sporters I have are very accurate.  I sold off the featherweights and picked up a used TC Compass I "the older version" in 7mm-08 just because it had a threaded barrel for my suppressor.  I was pretty sure I made a mistake on buying the Compass, BUT it has proven to be the most accurate rifle I have ever owned.  It easily beats the 1MOA guarantee and I can't believe just how damn good it shoots.  Yeah it has a flimsy fore end and is a budget rifle, but for the money, nothing in my experience comes close.  Cabelas has them on sale right now for just above $200 fwiw.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Tikka, Bergara or the Ruger would be my choice.

Link Posted: 12/27/2020 12:48:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The synth. stocks on the Tikka's feel very cheap.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd highly consider a Tikka OP.

The synth. stocks on the Tikka's feel very cheap.
The Tikka stock is by far more serviceable then the other production rifles offered, including Winchester, Ruger, Howa, Compass and Savage.

I'd be considering the Tikka or Bergara myself if I found myself searching.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 1:22:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Bergara Ridge that gets more use than any of my other rifles, including my custom $3000 hunting rifle. The Bergara rifles are accuracy and quality that are way above their price point.

If I had to choose between the two mentioned, the Winchester 70 is the better rifle.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 8:23:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The Tikka stock is by far more serviceable then the other production rifles offered, including Winchester, Ruger, Howa, Compass and Savage.

I'd be considering the Tikka or Bergara myself if I found myself searching.
View Quote

For the price range of the Tikka, the stock on the gun felt extremely cheap and flimsy.  I expect a stock on $300 gun to feel cheap and flimsy to a point.  

I have a ruger american and the stock feels as least as good as the tikka’s but I paid $329 for it, so I can deal with the stock.  

I just bought a new hunting rifle. I did all my research and thought it would be a Tikka but had never handled one. Once I got to shoulder and handle it, I couldn’t have been more disappointed.

Maybe the models above the T3 lite and super lite have better stuff but I couldn’t bring myself to buy one.  I also hated the safety location, of course that is just personal preference.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm a Model 70 guy through and through, but in my honest opinion the Ruger will be more accurate.  The Model 70s are what I call "hunting accurate" in that they're very consistent 1-1.5 MOA guns.  Rugers, on the other hand, are very accurate in general and most are easily sub-MOA capable with a variety of loads.

My Model 70 Safari Express in 416 Remington Magnum is sub-MOA with almost everything I put through it as funny as it is for it being a safari rifle.  My Extreme Weathers which were in 300WM and 7mmRM, respectively, both shot sub-MOA with Hornady ELD ammo, but they struggled to get under 1 MOA with just about everything else I put through them.  I also had a Ultimate Shadow in 300WM and it was the same story.  Consistently 1-1.5 MOA, but seldom did I ever get a group under 1".

On the other hand I had a RPR Magnum in 300 Win Mag for a bit and I shot a 5-shot group with it at 200 yards that was 5/8".  I shot 5 different factory loads through than gun and only one was ever over 1".  I never had a group larger than 1 1/4".

The overall fit and finish on the Model 70 is better, but Ruger makes the better barrels IMO.  Both guns have cold hammer forged barrels and will last a long time.  The M70 barrels are made for Winchester by FN, and Ruger makes their own barrels obviously.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top