Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2022 6:16:08 PM EDT
As the title says. Currently looking at both the Yaesu 891 for HF and something like the 300FTM or an Anytone 578 for U/VHF. But to keep things simple, looking to see if there's a single unit that can do it all.

I know there are a few mobiles out there that can do both HF and V/UHF, but most of them are:
A) Stupid expensive (more than a mobile HF + V/UHF combined)
B) Have weird/overly large dimensions (I really doubt I'd be able to use an Icom 7100 inside a Gator case)

2m/70cm are obvious choices, but if I can I'd like to get into some of the HF bands, at least 6m, 10m, 20m, and possibly 40m but that might be pushing it.

I know Elecraft has the KX2 and KX3, but both of those hit A) above for being far more than the combined price of a separate HF and V/UHF mobile.

I found a TYT mobile that can do 2/70+6+10, which gets me most of the way, but it's not ideal.

Planning on using a case that I can throw a battery into, solar charger, and ideally just one radio to keep wiring simple and minimize the number of relays and switches I need to use. As always, KISS rules the roost.

What other options do the hivemind recommend?
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:....

I found a TYT mobile that can do 2/70+6+10, which gets me most of the way, but it's not ideal.
View Quote

Remember, you need a general or above class license to run 10m FM ( 29mhz)

If you like to play 10m and 6m, you're much better off getting an all mode rig, 99% of voice is SSB not FM.

I'd also recommend spending a bit more for a Japanese Icom, Kenwood, or Yaesu, vs the chi-com brands.

Get an HF rig, like the FT-891 and a dual band FM mobile instead.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:47:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Remember, you need a general or above class license to run 10m FM ( 29mhz)

If you like to play 10m and 6m, you're much better off getting an all mode rig, 99% of voice is SSB not FM.

I'd also recommend spending a bit more for a Japanese Icom, Kenwood, or Yaesu, vs the chi-com brands.

Get an HF rig, like the FT-891 and a dual band FM mobile instead.
View Quote

Yeah I didn't want to get the TYT for a number of reasons, that's why I asked for others that people might've known that I didn't.

But it sounds like I'm stuck with the dual rig setup.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 12:02:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess I’m not following on why an ICOM 7100 is not an option?

The main unit stays mounted inside the case with battery and whatever else, the head unit come out and is placed on the table while you play radio. It seems a good fit for your requirements.

Yaesu 991a is an option, but is a larger all in one form factor. More akin to a desktop unit (though a small one).

All that said, you’ll have more flexibility with two radios instead of one.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 12:02:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah I didn't want to get the TYT for a number of reasons, that's why I asked for others that people might've known that I didn't.

But it sounds like I'm stuck with the dual rig setup.
View Quote

Dual rig setup to me is better. If one band takes a shit, you don't lose everything when taking it down for repair.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 7:07:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I like having a VHF / UHF radio and an HF radio.

Especially in grid down situations, I can monitor local comm and still work regional comm. There are things going on on both during emergencies.

And having 2 radios really opens up more choices, but it does add bulk and power consumption.

Putting it in a GoBox is all preference on how you do that.

Some people like all self contained, others just like a carry bag.

I would get the licenses first and look at what other people have done. Getting equipment before you have a good understanding of what and why you are buying is a mistake in my mind.

A 2/70+6+10 is not most of the way. It is just a 4 band radio.

With HF, if you want to communicate, you must use the band that will do that.

If you want regional comm, you must use 160, 80, 60, or 40m with the proper horizontal antenna on the band that is currently usable for the conditions and the time of day / night. There is not a one size fits all.

If you want long range comm, the higher bands, 30, 20, 17, 12, 10, 6  are usually the best because the antenna can be more efficient due to size and efficiency but you can lose power output with long runs of cheap coax.

For the ability to communicate with more stations due to noise, takeoff angles, low power, the use of weak signals modes like CW, and digital modes that require a computer, or the ability to send email via HF is required, so that adds another level of knowledge and complexity.

It all depends on what you want to do.

Link Posted: 6/26/2022 9:29:58 AM EDT
[#7]
One choice for low cost, qrp, all HF band ssb use is the uBitx.
While not as tiny as the KX products, it is small.

My pick for 2m/440 for go box would be a JT-6188.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I guess I’m not following on why an ICOM 7100 is not an option?

The main unit stays mounted inside the case with battery and whatever else, the head unit come out and is placed on the table while you play radio. It seems a good fit for your requirements.

Yaesu 991a is an option, but is a larger all in one form factor. More akin to a desktop unit (though a small one).

All that said, you’ll have more flexibility with two radios instead of one.
View Quote

The head unit is far too bulky. I'm trying to limit the number of things that spill out of the unit. This might be used on anywhere from a desk to an improvised surface to the floorboard of a car while in motion. Having more things detached from the body of the case is one more thing can flop around and get snagged.

991/A is a great unit but also VERY large and heavy. Bit too large for a mobile. I know there's people who've used those and ICOM 7300s, big chungus they are, but they're a little impractical unless I want a 6U case which, again, is a detraction to portability.

Quoted:
And having 2 radios really opens up more choices, but it does add bulk and power consumption.

I would get the licenses first and look at what other people have done. Getting equipment before you have a good understanding of what and why you are buying is a mistake in my mind.
View Quote

It does, and I'm starting to think that's where I need to go and just turn things off and on as needed. Also more than one way to power -- internal battery, of course, but also the ability to charge/run off an external source (such as another battery) and of course solar.

I've already got a tech and I'm working towards general, by the time I have this all built I should have it. I have a good idea of what I want, just trying to see if there's way to keep things simpler, but there's advantages to a little extra complexity in this case.

That said, I think I've narrowed it down to the Yaesu 891 for HF and an ICOM 5100A for V/UHF. The use of D-STAR and built in APRS helps to give flexibility as there's a lot of repeaters around here that use D-STAR. Plus packet radio if I need it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Here's a cute little "shack in a box"  HF + 6m, 2m, 70cm, all mode

FT-818
45 watt chinese amp
Portable Zero brush guards
narrow CW filter
SOTABEAMS Speech Processor

size comparison to iphone6

Link Posted: 6/27/2022 12:44:53 PM EDT
[#10]
A 7100 RF deck and a MFJ 939I tuner will fit in a fat 50 ammo can with enough room to put the head unit loose on top or put a battery in the box and put the headunit in another case. You could mount the head unit it to the underside of the lid if you wanted, I've seen brackets that mount the head unit flat if you don't like the angled face.

Personally I've found leaving the radio/tuner sitting on the ground with a battery to work quite well with the head unit on a picnic table. You could also make a cup holder mount for mobile. I've operated POTA with another ham who had a battery, power distribution block, tuner, 891, signalink and laptop all strewn in front of him and it took 2/3's of the table. I just had the laptop out and a USB cable running down the rig sitting on the ground. If I was doing SSB I'd have both the head unit and laptop out.

Having a 3d printer to make brackets, mounts, rubber isolators, back panels etc for go boxes has been really handy.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm kinda wondering if a GO-BOX with a 7100, and a dual band (5100 or d710) isn't about the most flexible and compact a go-box could be without adding more than two radios.

Could wish for an 'easy' panadapter.  Though DXLabs may do it with the 7100.  It does on the 7300.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 4:46:10 PM EDT
[#12]
If you can find an Icom 7000 mobile radio, they do VHF, UHF, and HF.  I've tried to attach a photo of my EmComm station, but can't seem to break the code on that.  You can make them as basic or complex as you desire.  Have fun!

Link Posted: 8/5/2022 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

This one of more of a field day box, but I've had it out for various functions.
Up side, 2 radios that can get me 70cm-160M all modes. plus VHF/UHF FM separate. 100 watts and 50 watts.

Down side, its heavy. I sold the Yaesu 817.

I've been running an Icom IC-705 for ultra light portable work. 10 watts with external battery.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top