Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2020 1:34:25 PM EDT
So, I'm going to start walking/hiking more, and I'd like a walking stick.  Not some fancy ultra light pair of trekking poles that make me look like a downhill skier (although I don't much care about looks).  I'm sure those are great for serious hikers, but I just want a big stick that I can lean on, poke things with, and maybe use to keep aggressive dogs away.

So, I thought I had seen something months/years ago that made me think that there was a lightweight aluminum set out there that has tools in the various sections, that screws apart to store compactly in a bag, and that looked like, well, an aluminum pole that you screw together.  I've spent the last couple of days searching on Amazon and Google with no luck.

Then, this morning, I found what I remembered seeing.  Something like this:
Amazon Product
  • Shovel Material: High Alloy Steel Handle Material: Aluminum Alloy Other Material: Rubber / Nylon / 3CR13 Stainless Steel Package Size: 10.6 x 7.1 x 2.6Inch
  • 16 functions: Magnesium rod,easy to make fire, snow excavators, scoops, saws, axes, picks, mulberry, bottle opener, rescue whistle, magnesia rod, fire ice cream, fish knife, hammer, nail pullover , Ruler, wrench, hammer and so on
  • Features: High alloy steel material; surface oxidation rust prevention; shovel board 0.25cm/0.1inch thickness, strong enough to endure the toughest conditions

So, that handle is obviously not long enough to fit the bill.  Buying two might work, but then it becomes too pricey for me.

Anyone know of anything like this?

Aluminum
55-65"
The survival tools are very cool, but they lack a few tips:  One for ice, rubber one for indoors/concrete, a tough one for general outdoor use
It would be cool if there was a ergonomic handle portion for the middle (for a hiking staff) and for the end (to shorten it to a hiking cane/pole), and with wrist straps.
Being able to buy additional tools or types of segments would be very cool, but I suspect won't be found on the cheap Chinese products that I'm hoping to find.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:39:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw something pop up on Facebook. If I see it again, I will try to get a link.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:41:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I appreciate it!
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#3]
the Crawford survival staff has been around for a while but its pricey. might give you an idea of what is possible.
https://www.crawfordknives.com/survival-staff

might want to see what you could put together with cold steel products. shovel head, spear head, tomahawk. one shaft maybe 2 with a coupling.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the Crawford survival staff has been around for a while but its pricey. might give you an idea of what is possible.
https://www.crawfordknives.com/survival-staff

might want to see what you could put together with cold steel products. shovel head, spear head, tomahawk. one shaft maybe 2 with a coupling.
View Quote
Wow, that is definitely out of my budget for something that I'm not even sure I'll like.  (Maybe I should buy a cheap wood staff first to make sure it won't piss me off.)

Cold Steel is a brand that I've avoided for many, many years because of their shady business practices.  I'll definitely never buy one of their knives.  Maybe I could overlook the brand if they have something that is close to what I'm looking for, though.  I'll take a look.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#5]
2 questions: why aluminum, and why tools?
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
2 questions: why aluminum, and why tools?
View Quote
Tools sounded like a cool idea. Great way to carry many more capabilities without others realizing it.  Honestly, being able to change the tips is the important part. Everything else could easily be carried elsewhere.

Aluminum seemed like the lightest, strongest way to get the ability to change tools/tips like that, while still having a great staff to lean on, nudge a rattler out of the way, or swing at a rabid coyote.

Do you have something else in mind?  I'm certainly open to suggestions.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:03:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Aluminum can be expensive. I’m assuming 6’ long & 1.5” OD would work. The weight isn’t given, though I’d be surprised if it was less than 2lb. Then you have to figure out a method of attaching tools, and add the weight of whatever tool you have attached. A member on another forum I belong to made a collapsible hiking staff out of carbon fiber (I think) tubing and he uses it all over the mountains out west. I’ll see if I can get some details from him.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Tools sounded like a cool idea. Great way to carry many more capabilities without others realizing it.  Honestly, being able to change the tips is the important part. Everything else could easily be carried elsewhere.

Aluminum seemed like the lightest, strongest way to get the ability to change tools/tips like that, while still having a great staff to lean on, nudge a rattler out of the way, or swing at a rabid coyote.

Do you have something else in mind?  I'm certainly open to suggestions.
View Quote
I think that you'll get tired of lugging around a metal pole. The coolness factor will wear off and you'll get tired of lugging around tools that you never use.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:35:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I think that you'll get tired of lugging around a metal pole. The coolness factor will wear off and you'll get tired of lugging around tools that you never use.
View Quote
Possibly.  That's why I'm not willing to buy that fancy $860 staff that someone linked to.  I was hoping to find something for under $50.  That shovel that I linked to made me very hopeful.

Do you think a hollow aluminum pole is heavier than wood?  I have a few wood walking sticks already, and they seem heavier than aluminum.  What other options are there?  Those ski pole style walking sticks are cool and lightweight, but they're a far cry from a walking staff that you can really lean on.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Possibly.  That's why I'm not willing to buy that fancy $860 staff that someone linked to.  I was hoping to find something for under $50.  That shovel that I linked to made me very hopeful.

Do you think a hollow aluminum pole is heavier than wood?  I have a few wood walking sticks already, and they seem heavier than aluminum.  What other options are there?  Those ski pole style walking sticks are cool and lightweight, but they're a far cry from a walking staff that you can really lean on.
View Quote
Years ago I bought a quarterstaff from Cold Steel. They dont sell them anymore, but you might have some luck with a six foot bo staff. They sell those at martial arts supply stores.
I think that you have twin issues of weight and diameter of the pole. I don't think that my quarter staff weighs much of anything. Not sure what wood  the staffs you already own are made of, but obviously different woods will weigh differently
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:12:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Years ago I bought a quarterstaff from Cold Steel. They dont sell them anymore, but you might have some luck with a six foot bo staff. They sell those at martial arts supply stores.
I think that you have twin issues of weight and diameter of the pole. I don't think that my quarter staff weighs much of anything. Not sure what wood  the staffs you already own are made of, but obviously different woods will weigh differently
View Quote
Yeah, I thought about that, and the Cold Steel stuff (shitty knives, but some cool tools) was considered, but like with wood, they don't have the ability to collapse to stash in the car.   I've seen some wood staffs that collapse, but they all screw together with the same type of screw as a pool cue, which can be a bit iffy on the cheap ones...
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I can put my full weight (256lb right after my shower this morning) on any of my aluminum trekking poles and they don’t give an inch. I’ve bet my life, or at least my continued existence without broken bones or impalements due to a tumble down a mountainside, on those poles. (Black Diamond Syncline, Black Diamond Alpine FLZ, and MSR Flight 2.) Aluminum is heavier than carbon fiber/graphite but it's also more durable and forgiving of scratches, gouges, etc. It's a lot less expensive, too.

You could get by with thinner tube than what I linked, I picked thicker because it sounded like you wanted a club, too. The weight is more a problem when carrying it on a pack, when hiking it spends most of its time in contact with the ground. A collapsible one would make stowing for hands-free walking/hiking much easier.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Most of my hiking will be done from a trailhead I can drive to.  Suburban hiking.  Being able to collapse the staff is a higher priority than ultra light weight.

I think I'm leaning towards trying one of these out, with a couple of the extensions:  https://smile.amazon.com/Keypower-Direct-Collapsible-Lightweight-Walking/dp/B07XFK6BRL
Amazon Product
  • Sturdier and ultralight for most of fresh campers and backpackers, very easy to carry.
  • Also the trekking poles can reduce more impact to ankles and knees than carbon fiber, to create a comfortable all-day hiking experience.
  • Aerospace grade aluminum alloys provide strength comparable to steel, making our trekking poles extremely durable. Walking equipment will not let you down!

Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:47:37 PM EDT
[#14]
When I was younger, I used to hike with a simple hickory staff I cut from a sapling. Used it for years. It was good support in iffy places, but I live in the South and frankly carried it as a "wonder if there's rattler in that bush" probe. It was a hickory stick, so it could make a good weapon, but I never had to use it in that fashion.

One day, wife and I were on two day hike and she'd bought a cheap set of trekking poles from Walmart.  During a section of the hike, I gave them a go. Fell in love with them. Looks nerdy, but in stream crossings the extra 'footing' is great but they really shine on uphills when your legs are tired and shaky. Sort of like adding four wheel drive and some leg relief. The next hike, I had my own $14 Walmart poles. They held up fine for like three years, but I did replace them with some Lekis. I won't hike without a pair of trekking poles now. I also use them with my hammock tarp set up for "porch mode".  They collapse and I removed the baskets so they can just tuck in the pack if needed.

What I'm suggesting is trek poles over a hiking staff. In my personal experience, they are better equipment on the trail.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What I'm suggesting is trek poles over a hiking staff. In my personal experience, they are better equipment on the trail.
View Quote
I believe you.  I'm not planning on long, serious hikes, and am pretty sure I want a staff that I can lean on (positive that I want to start with one).  Also longer for poking things.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 6:22:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 9:14:28 PM EDT
[#17]
https://unbreakxble.com/

Here is the one that I saw on Facebook.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don’t know of something that fits your requirements.  There the years people have given me several wooden hiking staffs.  They usually have a whistle and compass attached at the end.  They are heavy as fuck and just sit in the corner of my gear room unused.
Just pick up some used down hill ski poles
at goodwill.  They are cheap, strong and would make a great tool to defend your self.  
I also have a set of cascade trekking poles from amazon but they are not nearly as strong.  They do come with four different tips.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
https://unbreakxble.com/

Here is the one that I saw on Facebook.
View Quote
I think that's exactly what I first saw that made me want something like this.  Wish I could find a cheaper version on Amazon, but, oh well.

Thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you use a staff like I do then aluminum isn't going to have the strength.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 11:07:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If you use a staff like I do then aluminum isn't going to have the strength.
View Quote
Tell me more.

What kind of strength are you talking about?  How do you use it?
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 3:44:13 PM EDT
[#22]
CNC Warrior used to make something like what you are referring to, had a bunch of accessories for it too.

27897 Full Metal Walking Stick
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#23]
The OP is not really looking for anything - he is trying to sell a product on Amazon. If you check the link, it has a subscription id associated with it. If you purchase the product through the link, he will make $$$ off the sale...
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 12:37:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The OP is not really looking for anything - he is trying to sell a product on Amazon. If you check the link, it has a subscription id associated with it. If you purchase the product through the link, he will make $$$ off the sale...
View Quote

Absolutely untrue.  Why in the world would you say such a thing?

Quoting to show all of arfcom that you are a damn liar that spouts off about things that you know nothing about.

I'll edit this if you educate yourself and apologize, liar.

Edit:  @flhtc79086
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 2:35:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
CNC Warrior used to make something like what you are referring to, had a bunch of accessories for it too.

27897 Full Metal Walking Stick
View Quote

Missed this when I was distracted by the ignorant one.  

Looks like they're not making it any longer, but that's close to what I want.  Just a bit short, and a bit pricey.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#26]
This is a one-time post from me and I am done.

When someone clicks on the link in your original post, they are taken to the Amazon page for the product. Below is a screenshot of the URL for that page…

As you can see there is a Subscription ID included in the URL of your link (underlined in red)

So what is a Subscription ID? Below is a screen shot from Amazon that discusses why Amazon Associates need to obtain a Subscription ID…

So what is an Amazon Associate? Below is a screen shot from Amazon that explains this…

With the above out of the way – Who is a liar and who needs to apologize? Do not call out someone who is smarter than you are...
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This is a one-time post from me and I am done.

When someone clicks on the link in your original post, they are taken to the Amazon page for the product. Below is a screenshot of the URL for that page…

https://i.imgur.com/xnxU0N1.jpg

As you can see there is a Subscription ID included in the URL of your link (underlined in red)

So what is a Subscription ID? Below is a screen shot from Amazon that discusses why Amazon Associates need to obtain a Subscription ID…

https://i.imgur.com/Tg6QHbh.jpg

So what is an Amazon Associate? Below is a screen shot from Amazon that explains this…

https://i.imgur.com/EDGP04S.jpg

With the above out of the way – Who is a liar and who needs to apologize? Do not call out someone who is smarter than you are...
View Quote

He is an established member here.  Doubt he is trying to make 5 cents from someone buying this.  Maybe he found it on another website and clicked into amazon and it applied their affiliate link.

Regardless, i dont think OP is trying to deceive anyone
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are and you do.  

This website injects those referral codes as another way of making money.  I didn't do it, arf did.

Try it yourself.  Link to anything on Amazon using the site's Amazon widget and see what happens.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#29]
So this one showed up as a lightning deal for me, so I snagged it.  It barely comes to my waist, but the aluminum sections seem exactly the type of weight/strength that I want.  If I were to swing it like a baseball bat at a solid object (tree/telephone pole), I have no doubt it would bend to the point it's not very useable.  But I think it will work just fine for what I want.  I'm going to watch the price to order another one to make it the length that I want.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top