Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2020 4:58:34 PM EDT
Looking for recommendations.  What socks are you using?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Darn tough brand and don't look back.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a ton of Omniwool socks.

My only complaint is that they're kind of hard to get on. But once they're on, they don't come off and they wick sweat really well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2020 9:14:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Darn Tough and Smartwool. Lately I’ve been wearing my Smartwool more because they fit a little more loosely in the toes and don’t irritate my semi-ingrown toenails as much.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 9:15:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 9:29:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
This and I buy them from:

GoBros.com
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 10:31:04 AM EDT
[#7]
For white socks, I like the Puma that Costco sells. Very stretchy.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 10:43:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 8:33:59 PM EDT
[#9]
At present I'm wearing the ones linked below.

https://www.ruralking.com/10-13-socks-12-pr-value-pack-cre

I've also tried Dickies work boot socks in the past couple years.  They were comfortable enough, but have not held up well.

I used to be a huge Thorlo fan, but with modern boots and socks I no longer have a need for fancy socks even for epic hikes.

Link Posted: 3/31/2020 6:42:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looking for recommendations.  What socks are you using?

Thanks in advance!
View Quote

What are your planned activities, environment, and season-of-use?  Any foot or two issues?

I have predominantly transitioned to merino wool socks or mixes with a high percentage of merino wool.  I have found they wick and insulate much better.  For my three-season (Southeast/AT) backpacking use, I mostly use the thinnest socks I can find, mostly from Smartwool.  My wife has had issues with her toes rubbing and uses the Injinji merino wool toe socks, which she loves.  I use a lot of barefoot/minimalist shoes, so for backpacking (which I end up with a more stacked shoe like Salmon for the pounding), I don't need the extra sock cushion.  I also find the thinner socks will dry overnight much faster.  Last 100+mile hike last spring I rotated two pair about every other day and had zero issues.  Keeping your feet dry is imperative and even with sweaty or wet feet from rain, wool socks do the best job of moving the majority of moisture away from your feet.  Colder weather, I often move to my Darn Tough socks which are a medium weight.

Merino wool has just proven more effective for moisture management, better foot health, and quality socks will hold up over a lot of hard use.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 7:49:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Wrightsock CoolMesh II. Double layer but very thin and light. My feet run hot and I live in the SE. these are by far my favorites.

For colder weather, medium weight merino wool.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#12]
For me:
~ 30 and below outdoors - Smartwool Med Hiker
~ 50 and below and normal indoors day - Smartwool Light Hiker
~ 50 and up - Darn Tough Hiker 1/4 Sock Cushion
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Costco’s smart wool clones are great.  Nice mid weight
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top