Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/19/2018 4:46:52 PM EDT
Should I figure at least a 7500 watt generator?
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#1]
You should figure what the load is first, and only you can do that.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 5:49:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Need to know what kind of load your AC pulls.

I'll spitball a guess and say probably 10-12kw is what you should be looking at. I'm assuming a 3-4 ton central unit.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 5:56:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Generac, propane fueled..with the transfer switch all Installed, you're looking at $7k
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#4]
This varies greatly so as mentioned need to plan for your specific needs.  Nice thing is, if you can run the house ac once it is up and running you can run a lot of other stuff as well.

Also pay attention to how clean the power is from the generator.  I would not want to deal with hurting the compressor or anything else on the home ac unit cause while it needs 12kw I bought a cheap generator that sends out "dirty" power.

Here in east tn the temps are not as big a deal so a couple window ac units run by small portable generators are my plan.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a small window unit to cool only the bedroom.

I can deal with the day without AC, but sleeping without AC wears me down quickly.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Depending on time of year that may be the plan.  If mild I would cool more rooms but in the heat of summer probably just run it in the bedroom.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
no one on the internet knows how much power your central AC unit(s) require.

start by opening up your electrical service panel and finding the breaker(s) for your AC unit(s).
they will be double pole 240Vac breakers (twice the width of a normal 120Vac breaker).
what is the current rating on the breaker(s)?  the rating will be on the end of the handle.

see also
http://losdos.dyndns.org/wiki/reference:generator_oracle

Link Posted: 10/19/2018 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#8]
My Troy-Bilt 7,000watt XP runs my 3-ton house AC with no problem and enough power spare to run other essentials with a modicum of management. I modified it to run tri-fuel with a snorkel kit.

Personally, I wanted to be able to live comfortably during a major outage but didn't want the expense of a standby generator. I had an interlock kit installed in my breaker panel instead. A 7Kw portable generator that I store in my garage was as low as I was willing to go.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 6:48:46 PM EDT
[#9]
How often does power go out
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Don’t go off the breaker. There will be a nameplate on the AC that tells all.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:52:12 AM EDT
[#11]
My dewalt 7k ran my 11amp fridge, 5k btu ac and other items for 17hrs per 7gal tank. My volt meter never even went above 1/3 load with that on it. I've moved and put a transfer switch kit on the new house. Most kits I found are for a max of 7500 watt genny so keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#12]
There are 50 amp (12.5 kw) inlet boxes

Northern Tool
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a small window unit to cool only the bedroom.

I can deal with the day without AC, but sleeping without AC wears me down quickly.
View Quote
This.  I bought a small portable unit, that runs on my generator just fine.  Last hurricane that rollled through, we closed off the bedroom each night, and ran it in there.  Cooled things down, and killed the humidity to make for comfortable sleeping.

No need to cool the entire house.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 10:55:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Keep in mind the window units are more efficient and use less juice the the "portable" stand up units that you put the hose in the window.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 11:39:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Don't go off the breaker. There will be a nameplate on the AC that tells all.
View Quote
I looked this weekend. Nameplate, sticker, etc... gone. It's the original unit from when the house was built in 1990. I guess sitting in the constant heat of Western Arizona will do that to the info plates, etc.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:36:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Generac 5734 GP15000E 15000 Running Watts/22500 Starting Watts Electric Start Gas Powered Portable Generator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GOOM2G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_k0LdCbAXYENVZ

My house is 2,100 sq/ft and when power goes out for extended periods this unit runs everything.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Generac 5734 GP15000E 15000 Running Watts/22500 Starting Watts Electric Start Gas Powered Portable Generator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GOOM2G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_k0LdCbAXYENVZ

My house is 2,100 sq/ft and when power goes out for extended periods this unit runs everything.
View Quote
Have you run it through any lengthy power outages? If so, how long were they? If so, how much fuel did you go through?

How much fuel do you have on hand at any given time?
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:01:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Have you run it through any lengthy power outages? If so, how long were they? If so, how much fuel did you go through?
View Quote
the spec sheet says it consumes 16 gallons in 10 hrs at 50% load.  (link)

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#19]
You can also have a hard start capacitor installed in your AC.   That will decrease the start up load on your Genny when the compressor starts.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:58:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I looked this weekend. Nameplate, sticker, etc... gone. It's the original unit from when the house was built in 1990. I guess sitting in the constant heat of Western Arizona will do that to the info plates, etc.
View Quote
Holy crap!!!  You've gotten 28 years out of a heat pump?  You should play the lottery.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#21]
When I wanted to hook up my generator plug in, I figured I needed 12-14k to run my heat pump. Too much cash, so I just bought a 9k propane.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 10:47:52 PM EDT
[#22]
tag
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 11:22:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Holy crap!!!  You've gotten 28 years out of a heat pump?  You should play the lottery.
View Quote
I would seriously consider replacing it with a newer, more efficient one at this point- and THEN size your power backup to it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

ar-jedi
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi
Do you have a 15KW that is more efficient?

Most of the 12 KW whole house LP gensets I've been looking at are in the 1.5-2 gallon per hour range at 50% load.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:39:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Most of the 12 KW whole house LP gensets I've been looking at are in the 1.5-2 gallon per hour range at 50% load.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

It's a lot of fuel to keep a house running with a generator of that size.  That's his point.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 7:43:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Even if a generator was 100 percent efficient, it would still require a lot of fuel to continuously produce 7.5 KW.

The problem isn't so much with inefficiency - It's with the amount of continuous power you're attempting to generate.

For most folks, being able to live comfortably with a modest amount of power makes more sense than storing huge quantities of fuel.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:18:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm betting thats not even close to what you need...
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:20:02 AM EDT
[#28]
15K MINIMUM.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:55:20 AM EDT
[#29]
My house uses a Kohler 14KV RES (propane).

Home is a ranch that would be about 2400sqft, but it has a loft, so it is about 3000sqft. It definitely works because we’ve had multiple power outages and never had so much as a dim light while on genny power.

Cost, including install and automatic transfer switch, was around $6500. The fact that it uses propane is great because I never need to refill it or worry about fuel additives, or worry about it running out of fuel.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:34:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
the fact that it uses propane is great because I never need to refill it or worry about fuel additives, or worry about it running out of fuel.
View Quote
In an outage lasting a few days, sure.

Our government just released a report that describes outages lasting months.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My house uses a Kohler 14KV RES (propane).

Home is a ranch that would be about 2400sqft, but it has a loft, so it is about 3000sqft. It definitely works because we’ve had multiple power outages and never had so much as a dim light while on genny power.

Cost, including install and automatic transfer switch, was around $6500. The fact that it uses propane is great because I never need to refill it or worry about fuel additives, or worry about it running out of fuel.
View Quote
At 14KW I hope you have a big tank. It won't take you long to empty a 500 gallon tank.

Minor point but pretty critical.....You do have to keep your propane tank full and if you don't, you will run out of fuel. As long as you keep the propane trucks coming (and can afford it), you'll live in comfort.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#32]
I use a Generac 15kw gasoline model for my 2,000 sq/ft home.  Runs everything like nothing’s wrong.  Don’t know how I made it without it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#33]
I use a $250 4,000 watt propane sportsman generator. It runs the lights, fans, fridge, and a small window unit in the bedroom.  It seems like it's supposed to run 60 hours at half load on the 100 lb propane tank I have.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 2:22:11 AM EDT
[#34]
this should do it

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Looks pretty. Specs?
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Looks pretty. Specs?
View Quote
Cummins 25kw diesel genset...gets installed next month with an ATS.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Cummins 25kw diesel genset...gets installed next month with an ATS.
View Quote
What's it running?
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#38]
What does your AC pull in amps?
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do you have the manual?
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 3:20:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What's it running?
View Quote
Just a standby generator for my house. Live in rural Alaska. House is pretty big but the generator is definitely over sized.

Funny thing is the install outfit talked me into an 8060w solar setup  no battery system and its dark for 3 months out of the year so the generator will still see some use.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Just a standby generator for my house. Live in rural Alaska. House is pretty big but the generator is definitely over sized.

Funny thing is the install outfit talked me into an 8060w solar setup  no battery system and its dark for 3 months out of the year so the generator will still see some use.
View Quote
What size fuel tank do you have to feed it?

What are the biggest power using things your house has?
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Generac, propane fueled..with the transfer switch all Installed, you're looking at $7k
View Quote
This or if NG, if you've got it.

I've got underground NG to my shop, about 150ft from the house.  I've considered throwing a Generac either out there or run a NG feeder to the house for shorter wires.
The new ones are nice, wifi diagnostics, self-starting, self testing, etc.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What size fuel tank do you have to feed it?

What are the biggest power using things your house has?
View Quote
1000 gallon tank that runs my two boilers. Have it set up on auto fill when the level drops to 500-550 gallons.

Biggest load in the house? Right now the electric dryer or electric oven. But my wife wants a gas grill top. No NG up here so we would have to get a propane setup. Or the well pump, but I don't know how much load that has off the top of my head.

In the dead of winter (-40*F) my boilers consume 7 gallons per day. 1/4 load on the genset consumes .95 gallons per hour. If my fuel tank was 1/2 full I should be able to run everything 100% including the generator 24/7 for 16+ days straight. Double that if I were to only run the generator 12 hours a day.

I did think about a propane setup. The generator unit cost is significantly less, but I would of had to get a HUGE propane tank buried and anchored in ground, and once filled with propane it would have set me back around 7 or 8k just for the tank and initial propane fill. And I would still of had less run time than with a diesel setup. Plus in a disaster propane trucks aren't going to be out delivering. Where as every house and cabin in the area has a heating oil tank. Typically 500 gallons. So much easier to come by in an emergency.

When the installer came out for a bid and saw the generator he asked if I had a grow op
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

1000 gallon tank that runs my two boilers. Have it set up on auto fill when the level drops to 500-550 gallons.

Biggest load in the house? Right now the electric dryer or electric oven. But my wife wants a gas grill top. No NG up here so we would have to get a propane setup. Or the well pump, but I don't know how much load that has off the top of my head.

In the dead of winter (-40*F) my boilers consume 7 gallons per day. 1/4 load on the genset consumes .95 gallons per hour. If my fuel tank was 1/2 full I should be able to run everything 100% including the generator 24/7 for 16+ days straight. Double that if I were to only run the generator 12 hours a day.

I did think about a propane setup. The generator unit cost is significantly less, but I would of had to get a HUGE propane tank buried and anchored in ground, and once filled with propane it would have set me back around 7 or 8k just for the tank and initial propane fill. And I would still of had less run time than with a diesel setup. Plus in a disaster propane trucks aren't going to be out delivering. Where as every house and cabin in the area has a heating oil tank. Typically 500 gallons. So much easier to come by in an emergency.

When the installer came out for a bid and saw the generator he asked if I had a grow op
View Quote
That's some serious overkill. For your situation it makes perfect sense to go with diesel.

I think it's ridiculously oversized for your loads since even with an electric oven/stove you won't come near your max capacity. You could have run everything on probably 15k with just a little load management and 10k with good load management. Get a propane stove and your load drops to 8k with a little load management. But you clearly believe in overkill! Still looks neat.

Must be a big house and/or poorly insulated to use that much fuel oil per day just for heat!
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 7:58:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That's some serious overkill. For your situation it makes perfect sense to go with diesel.

I think it's ridiculously oversized for your loads since even with an electric oven/stove you won't come near your max capacity. You could have run everything on probably 15k with just a little load management and 10k with good load management. Get a propane stove and your load drops to 8k with a little load management. But you clearly believe in overkill! Still looks neat.

Must be a big house and/or poorly insulated to use that much fuel oil per day just for heat!
View Quote
7 gallons a day at -40* is nothing. House is 5 star energy rated, 12 inch walls, etc. Radiant heat throughout including the 2500sf garage. About 5000 in total square footage. Maybe a bit more.

For comparison my last house was built in the mid 80s. 2200 ft. And that house goes through more fuel than this one. Jan/Feb typically brought $1000 dollar heating oil bills.  Now that sucked!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 1:32:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Edited

It was asked and answered
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 7:05:59 PM EDT
[#47]
My wife and I just bought a 22kw Generac (Honeywell) stand-by generator to run our 1950 sq. ft. home and heat pump AC.  With the purchase came a 200 amp automatic transfer switch.  For a turn-key operation, we paid $10,000.00.  It is parts and labor guaranteed for 5 years.  It's hit or miss with hurricanes down here is south Alabama and we like our creature comforts.  It gets too hot and humid without central air cooling the house.  It was a wise investment in our opinion!
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 3:03:33 AM EDT
[#48]
If you could somehow combine wind , solar , and maybe geothermal into the mix I guess you’d be perfect for the Green New Deal , I mean this IS our WW2 and the world will end in 12 years anyway .
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#49]
You may want to look into the military surplus generators...

MEP803A puts out 12.5KW at 100% load and does about a gallon an hour of fuel (diesel) at that load. It will easily start loads beyond 12.5KW.. There is a video on youtube of a guy pulling IIRC 16.5KW for a few minutes before the overload activates and dumps the load.

For anyone who is halfway handy and able to maintain the unit themselves I really advocate a unit like this over some POS homeowner generac unit. If you just want to sit in your house and have the power switch on automatically and never so much as open the lid and look inside then by all means get a consumer model.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 12:01:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Any diesel genset ever.  Many diesel gensets in the 5kw+ range will average 0.1gal/kw/hr

A MEP-803a would run an entire house with central A/C or heat pump without breaking a sweat, and would do it for 1 gallon/hr or less.

Some guys have run central A/C with a 5kw MEP-802a and they only draw 0.5 gallon/hr max.  One guy, over at Steel Soldiers, ran his off-grid home for 2 yrs with an 802, accumulating 17,000 hrs.  He averaged 5 gallon per 22 hrs of operation @ 2kw average load

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top