Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2019 3:58:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 10:18:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

My question is if if I got the 3-4 wt reel, would it cause issues running 5wt line on it?
Would I be ok with 4wt line on it?

Any disadvantages to doing something like this?

Thanks
View Quote
YES,

Fly reels are for the most part sized for the backing/line wt.
If you want to very the line to rod, keep the line & reel matched.
Putting a heavy line on a lighter wt reel wt will limit your backing.

If you're starting out, I would suggest you stay the line and not mess with it.

When I lived in the Keys, I practiced in my yard. I was lucky to have a 150ft grass area and no trees to target shoot. I used paper plates as targets. Going from 8wt up through 12wt was not easy, as the actions(mostly fast) and lines (mostly sinking) across the wt??  anyway, I would practice a couple of times a week to keep the feel..

All my rods were Sage, reels Sage & Tubor
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 7:40:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Another issue with using a smaller reel is the weight of the reel itself. Having a tip heavy rod will get old fast. Balancing the rod/reel will make casting earlier as will carrying the rod while fishing.

And as the other poster said, putting a 5 weight line on a reel designed for a 3/4 reel will limit backing and maybe even the line itself. In fact, it’s more common to up the reel size a bit in order to balance the rod and also allow for backing content.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And as the other poster said, putting a 5 weight line on a reel designed for a 3/4 reel will limit backing and maybe even the line itself. In fact, it’s more common to up the reel size a bit in order to balance the rod and also allow for backing content.
View Quote
I use 65 lb PowerPro for backing as it is the same dia as 20 lb linen backing,, and on my 8 wt reel that's about 150 yds.
Every extra inch of backing is needed for Permit, Bones & Poons

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#4]
It's tough to say, but at certain weights the reel is just a line holder.  I've gone a size smaller on a reel before, because of a great deal.  I'm not sure what you are fishing for, but if a trout can run a 100yds of backing, that's going to be a sweet day!  :)  You can always do what I did, I went with Hatch backing, it's stronger and smaller than the normal 20lb backing, so you can probably get more on there if needed.  If not, I would just put on less 20lb backing, 75 yds of backing is still plenty for most scenarios that I would fish a 5wt.

The one catch for me would be how the reel balances.  I think the difference between those two reels is just over a 1/2 oz. , I'm not sure if you'd feel it immediately or not.

Good Luck!

eta -  I think the reel was like $75-100 cheaper, and I still catch fish on it.  I bought the 3/4, and put plenty of backing on it with a 5wt WF line.

now I need to decide if I'm going shooting this afternoon or fishing.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:52:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Ross makes very nice reels. You can’t go wrong with a Ross.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 1:59:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Solid choice, Made in America to boot.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:34:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I use 65 lb PowerPro for backing as it is the same dia as 20 lb linen backing,, and on my 8 wt reel that's about 150 yds.
Every extra inch of backing is needed for Permit, Bones & Poons

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/100683/Tarpon01_jpg-1213298.JPG

View Quote

Nice fish!  Hopefully, I’ll get a chance to land one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top