Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2020 10:32:34 PM EDT
Would using a coax switch with one side connected to ground or nothing, do anything for lightening protection or would it just cross over inside the switch..?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#1]
HI Coyote,
. Your best bet is to disconnect the wire outside the house and ground it outside. It would jump across the inside of the switch since it just jumped miles in the air. I got lucky once, while I had the radio disconnected from the tuner, the antenna was still connected. There was a near by lighting hit and I heard a pop inside the tuner, luckily no damage. If the radio had been connected the front end would have been toast.
Rob
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:08:30 PM EDT
[#2]
It will also jump inside the coax. A few millimetres of dielectric isn't going to influence a bolt or even a high voltage RF spike. That is the reason you don't really need to ground the inner conductor if the shield is grounded and IMO if the coax comes down the mast and the mast is metal and the mast is grounded and a bolt hits the antenna, it will find the grounded mast and the ground attached to the mast even if the shield is not grounded, IMO

this is not lightning protection advice and I am not an expert,  dont try this at home, wear a helmet, life is dangerous.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top