Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2020 8:01:42 AM EDT
I'm getting reading to swap around the rear rims on my John Deere 1050 tractor for a wider track, about 4" or so.  Tractor is about 4000lbs.  What are you guys doing or not doing?  I was planning on using a bottle jack and 8x8" timbers as cribbage, I don't have jack stands that I trust or that are tall enough.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:17:15 AM EDT
[#1]
HARDWOOD cribbing is fine
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
HARDWOOD cribbing is fine
View Quote

I think I'm just going to pick up a better bottle jack/jack stands from US Jack.  I'm sure this won't be the last time I need to lift the ass end of a tractor.  USA Tool Supply has decent prices right now.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#3]
my harbor freight 12 ton stands are very tall(36" i believe at max) and have been fantastic for the lifted pickups I have had over the years.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:00:09 AM EDT
[#4]
There isn't a lot of room to play with on a smaller tractor, so I put a 20 ton bottle jack under the drawbar fixture, then use jackstands under the axle housing. Cribbing is fine as long as there is room to get it under there in a stable fashion. Just stacking on on top the other is not that.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:03:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There isn't a lot of room to play with on a smaller tractor, so I put a 20 ton bottle jack under the drawbar fixture, then use jackstands under the axle housing. Cribbing is fine as long as there is room to get it under there in a stable fashion. Just stacking on on top the other is not that.
View Quote

Like you said proper cribbing would be fine. With wide enough boards you could possibly get away with single stacking if you nail them together but I'd be worried about side stability. Personally  I'd just get some bigger jack stands, it won't be the last time you need to jack the tractor up.

Here's what proper cribbing looks like (we're sliding 300,00 lbs here).

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:17:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Timber cribbing unless you have specialized jack stands.

We sometimes still use timber cribbing to hold up semi trucks in my shop on long term projects.  But rarely anymore as we’ve gotten so many sets of jack stands and combination jack/stand devices.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:13:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
my harbor freight 12 ton stands are very tall(36" i believe at max) and have been fantastic for the lifted pickups I have had over the years.
View Quote

In all seriousness, I think those just got recalled. Like a 5% failure rate.

ETA Linky looks like the 3 and 6 ton.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Like you said proper cribbing would be fine. With wide enough boards you could possibly get away with single stacking if you nail them together but I'd be worried about side stability. Personally  I'd just get some bigger jack stands, it won't be the last time you need to jack the tractor up.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/119852/424-1430487.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/119852/424-1430487.jpg

Yes, correct. OP said he was using 8" timbers, I would not want that parallel stacked lateral stability would be poor at best.

Correctly cribbed it can be very stable, in fact I would prefer that to a jack stand, but under a 40hp tractor there is going to be limited room to do so correctly  
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I ended up buying a set of jack stands and a bottle jack from US Jack.  I’ll post some pics when I swap the outer rims around.  I’ll end up with a 4” wider track.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you checked to see if they are recalled?
ETA: beat to it. I didn't know they even made 12 ton stands?
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 2:02:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I ended up buying a set of jack stands and a bottle jack from US Jack.  I’ll post some pics when I swap the outer rims around.  I’ll end up with a 4” wider track.  
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/434728/8FB0F9D7-F927-4D8F-944D-797D6A406F51_jpe-1430929.JPG
View Quote

I've almost forgot what a clean 1050 looks like. My parents mow their lawn with theirs, my dad oils every linkage about every time. Most of the back end of their tractor is black with dirt stuck to oil residue...
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:43:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've almost forgot what a clean 1050 looks like. My parents mow their lawn with theirs, my dad oils every linkage about every time. Most of the back end of their tractor is black with dirt stuck to oil residue...
View Quote

She's a little dusty here.  Having only 260 original hours helps, too.  Not bad for a 1983 tractor.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
She's a little dusty here.  Having only 260 original hours helps, too.  Not bad for a 1983 tractor.
View Quote

Wish I knew how many hours were on my parents' 1050. They bought it new in 1980. It's seen a ton of use over the years. The hour meter doesn't register hours right though. I remember when I was a teenager mowing fields one day for five hours, and the hour meter registered one.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I got the rims and tires switched around.  Ended up with an 8” wider track.  The jack and stands by US Jack are very solid.  
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Did you roll them to the other side?  Rotate and shift outward?

I have to do the same thing on a Ford 3000 with loaded rears, only I am making track narrower.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 7:28:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Did you roll them to the other side?  Rotate and shift outward?

I have to do the same thing on a Ford 3000 with loaded rears, only I am making track narrower.
View Quote

I just swapped sides, they are a press fit, and the first tire popped off the inner wheel pretty fast, the next one I was ready for.  They aren't loaded, so don't weight too much.  The owner's manual has 9 different ways to orient the wheel/rim, I could swap the wheel and get another 8".  

Of course, one lock washer broke, so I have to go to the HW store and get one, always something that drags out a project like this.  I'll hit the nuts/bolts with a wrench in a week or so and make sure they are snug.  My upper back cracked about 4 times, so that is about 125 in. lbs.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 8:19:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My upper back cracked about 4 times, so that is about 125 in. lbs.
View Quote

That's my kind of precision.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Sorry!  Foot pounds!   Too many scope mount  specs!
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sorry!  Foot pounds!   Too many scope mount  specs!
View Quote

Once your precision is measured in back pops, I don't think the units of measure are that big of a deal any more!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top