Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2022 7:49:51 PM EDT
Been trying on 50.125 and have made contact with Michigan, New Jersey and North Carolina. Nothing across the Atlantic yet.

How ya'll doing?

Made contact with a bunch of guys on the Mississippi Gulf Coast Tuesday night and they are trying to get a 6 meter Tuesday night net going. 20.00 hrs central time.

Im sure they would be glad if you would give them a call next Tuesday

Link Posted: 7/21/2022 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Done a little FT8 here and there. Furthest has been into the N.E.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:31:32 PM EDT
[#2]
49 states (no Alaska yet) and 74 countries confirmed on 6 meters.  The majority on FT8.  I started hunting in Dec. 2017
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#3]
depending on where you are located, you can use the gray line into south america on 6 meters, all the other bands 20 and above also.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 12:16:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Been messing around with 6 meters FM a bit lately. Made a few contacts on 52.525 simplex. We have a 6m repeater up on a very high hill around here, and had a qso with someone up on the mass/nh border the other day. Another repeater about 40 miles away is linked to tx/rx in Massachusetts, and that one can reach into Vermont. Not bad for being 2 miles north of Long Island Sound, working all the way to Vermont off 2 towers.

I wish more people used 6m FM. I usually use a ft857d when backpacking, and tuning up stationary antennas on 6m for FM use is a breeze. All mode radios like the ft857d make a lot of stuff possible on different bands, whether FM, SSB, or CW.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Heathkit 6er.  Been meaning to try 6m AM.  Anyone on there?
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#6]
@QRPer
Been a couple of years for me, but 50.4 mHz has been the 6 meter AM watering hole forever. I had some good QSOs up there.
Rob
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you.  I picked this up years ago cause it was cheap.  It works and I have a microphone for it.  I’ll have to whip up an antenna and try it again.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you.  I picked this up years ago cause it was cheap.  It works and I have a microphone for it.  I’ll have to whip up an antenna and try it again.
View Quote

Keep in mind the convention for non-FM modes is horizontal polarization, and E skip does seem to preserve polarization moreso than F layer propagation. About 25 feet up is a good takeoff angle for E skip and a simple dipole can produce good results.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:45:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
49 states (no Alaska yet) and 74 countries confirmed on 6 meters.  The majority on FT8.  I started hunting in Dec. 2017
View Quote

I don't think 6m works in Alaska
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:16:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't think 6m works in Alaska
View Quote

tyrex13

Have you tried any 6m FT8?   There are a TON of guys who need AK on 6m including me.  I have 49 as well. I have been able to work JA's from here in WV.

8nBAIT
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:19:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

tyrex13

Have you tried any 6m FT8?   There are a TON of guys who need AK on 6m including me.  I have 49 as well. I have been able to work JA's from here in WV.

8nBAIT
View Quote

I’m not really into FT8, but I’ll do it for you
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:59:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm not really into FT8, but I'll do it for you
View Quote
And suddenly everyone with a 6M amp will be turning them on.    Make sure you post when you'll be on.  You could probably WAS FT8 in a day if you tried.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:00:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm not really into FT8, but I'll do it for you
View Quote

Thanks.  You are about a month too late this year but you never know.  Jump on FT8 and call CQ. Every single station that decodes you will be coming back to an AK.
Charge $5 for an LOTW upload. You can make bank.   LOL

The vast majority of the 6m coummunity  has gone to FT8. It just works sooooo well.  I started playing with 6m summer of 2020 and I have 95 countries confirmd via LOTW and cards. Waiting on one more from this summer.   Grid count is close to 700 and almost 400 Fred Fish Memorial Award grids. FT8 for the win.

What do you have in the way of an antenna and how much power can you run?   The summer of 2020 6m E-season convinced me to buy my first amp. An Elecraft KPA500.  I am convinced it has made a huge difference on 6m.

8nBAIT

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:17:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

tyrex13

8nBAIT
View Quote

I have worked JA many times on 6 meters.  Even Korea, The signals  go right over the heads of the AK.   Buddy of mine just 38 miles away has worked Alaska.  You just have to be there at the right time. Apparently I haven't been there at the right time. And of course sometimes when there is an opening, someone has to be on the other end of it too.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:22:31 AM EDT
[#15]
If you are in Alaska on 6 meter FT8 and you run 500 watts or so, you would be a very popular guy.

Call CQ a couple of times and then check on PSK reporter and see where your signals went. Of course working JA from Alaska is very easy, but working down here is more difficult. PSK reporter will tell you within a few seconds if there is a path and at what level your signals are being heard down here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top