Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:09:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Be ware there are military style blankets out there
They stink and I wouldn't let my dog sleep on them, if I had a dog
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I have some Hudson Bay Blankets I bought used.   Some were missing / torn tags or had slight blemish that makes them undesirable to collectors but for a a Shtf truck wool blanket it’s great.     I like them much better then army surplus.  Plus I don’t look all Rambo with my blanket.  

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:06:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was curious.....
you are dealing with much colder temperatures that we are here.
View Quote

No its not bad. Anywhere from single digits at night to mid to upper 30's.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#4]
You can get sleeping bags from Walmart for 15-20 bucks.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Local Walmart had fleece King size blankets on clearance for $25.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:19:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Honestly we ripped it apart, and it is way above my limited mechanical ability. My brother is slightly more inclined then myself and he was afraid to touch it.
A friend's father plays with stuff like this for fun, so when he migrates back I'll have him take a look at it.
View Quote

I used to be this way, then I found a video on YouTube for my specific carb and learned how to do it.  On my lawnmower, I just buy a new one, three screws and a cable and it's replaced for $3 more than a rebuild kit.

I'm not that mechanically inclined either, but if I can learn to rebuild a carb or adjust the valves on a motorcycle, you can too.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I've always found old fashioned hand made quilts to be the warmest blankets.  I do like the idea of zero degree sleeping bags though.

The recent weather issue in Texas wasn't really all that bad.  I have smartwool base layers including their socks, a lightweight puffer jacket, gloves, beanie and I was completely warm.  Getting under my regular blankets plus and additional 1 or 2 I slept like a rock.

The only thing I found to be cold was my face/nose since it was exposed.  I have a baklava that I use when I go snow boarding I could have worn that would have solved that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#8]
As others have said I would pass on the HF moving blankets. they offer little to no insulation, they smell terrible and I don't know if there is enough fabric softener in the world to make them comfortable. if you need to seal off doors for whatever reason I would suggest a roll of commercial plastic moisture barrier, its what they use under concrete. Its cheap and in a huge roll so you can cut what you need, then us some masking or painters tape to seal it up and avoid any wall damage.

As far as extra blankets go as with anything else you get what you pay for but I stay away from wool, good ones are expensive, they smell awful, require special care and they aren't very comfortable. As @frozennny mentioned you can find blankets that look like they are 1"-1.5" thick berber fleece and they are super warm, cozy and don't smell. We have several around the house that we picked up at Sams club for under $15.00 each and they are great. I also have a kifaru wobbie in my truck for emergencies and could obviously bring it in if need be. I also have a couple of good sleeping bags but I haven't  needed  to break those out this go around, they would be a last resort for in the home use and if I needed them in that context things would have went terribly wrong for a very long time.

Now on to the generator, if you have one why not get it working properly? Blankets will keep you warm but they won't give you a hot shower, keep pipes from freezing, flush the toilet, keep food from spoiling, recharge batteries, knock the overall chill off on the house etc.

I am on day 8 of no power here in southern Virginia and I plan to do a full AAR but the generator has been invaluable  but  a few extra blankets alone are nothing in the grand scheme of things.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:25:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm with the "skip wool blanket" crowd.

Not that they don't have their place, but you aren't snuggled around a camp fire driving a cattle herd.

A sleeping bag provides better insulation and warmth.  Even a down comforter/duvet will do better.  Down is lighter, won't have to worry about the smell, can be used on your bed in normal times, and since you're in a house, you don't have to worry about being rained on.  Heck, you can even do the "set up a tent and throw the blanket over the tent" idea if you have a few people to worry about.  I don't think the "some people get itchy from wool blankets" is a problem, since you can probably figure out that you can use a bedsheet as a barrier between you and the blanket (I hope).

Problem with sleeping bags is that they're made with the assumption that you're sleeping on cold ground.  I assume you'd stay on your mattress if you were at home
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:43:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I have seen many references to using a tent inside because it is easier to keep  A small area warm.

Obviously, generator would be best to run your water heater and oil burner.

The first power outage we had (before I wired the breaker panel transfer switch)I just wired the oil burner to an extension cord and plugged it directly in to the generator.

Bill
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#11]
These are 100% wool heavy and warm for 50 bucks they are a good deal.
Ektos blanket
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've got a moderately priced down blanket, was in then 200-300 dollar range. I have to be careful. As its super efficient, it only comes out when we have sustained Temps below zero for week or more.
View Quote

How are you storing it when its not in use?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How are you storing it when its not in use?
View Quote

Giant cedar chest, its also loaded with wool blankets etc
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:00:38 PM EDT
[#14]
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

These things are great. Fill it up with hot water and throw it underneath the blanket. The heat it radiates will keep you warm for hours!

You can also use water bottles but not as convenient...
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:34:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Snugpak Oversize Jungle Blanket...as pointed out in a reply above....

View Quote

It's a woobie.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Sherpa blankets...at Big Lots, Walmart, Amazon or Target.
We have a few. We have a little "guest house" - really a tiny home. Barely insulated and heated with an old oil radiator heater. I gets down to about 40 inside at night in the winter. The sherpa blanket is usually enough to keep you warm in there. They usually run about $20 to $30 for a queen size.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You can use painters drop cloths to partition walls. Just staple around the door frame and cut a slit in it to walk through. It’s how big freezers in restaurants do it (with thicker plastic).

Also you can make a little reflex heater with a baking pan and some tea lights. Pop the pan on its side and put the candles in the pan and the heat will reflect off and back out.

I figured that one out in an ice storm I lost power and had electric heat and no back ups. I have remedied that situation
View Quote

Another candle/radiant heating method is to get 3 clay pots, each smaller than the next that will nest into each other. Using the hole in the bottom you hang them upside from rope with the biggest on the top and the smallest on the bottom, with a candle directly below the bottom one. Each pot needs to be spaced from the next so using knots in the rope or washers can help achieve this.

Candle heats up the clay pots and air between them and then they radiate that heat.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 9:00:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I got back from a trip and got my
Major Surplus blue navy blankets
They are heavy, don't smell can I recommend them
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 8:29:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Another candle/radiant heating method is to get 3 clay pots, each smaller than the next that will nest into each other. Using the hole in the bottom you hang them upside from rope with the biggest on the top and the smallest on the bottom, with a candle directly below the bottom one. Each pot needs to be spaced from the next so using knots in the rope or washers can help achieve this.

Candle heats up the clay pots and air between them and then they radiate that heat.
View Quote

A candle puts out about 80 watts or 75-85 btu/hour of heat.
A human body puts out about 70-100 watts.
A Little Buddy propane heater puts out 4,000-9,000 btu/hour.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 8:43:58 AM EDT
[#20]
The cheapest Walmart sleeping bag is warmer than the best, most expensive wool blanket.

A military wool blanket has an insulative  value of 1.3 clo.

At 32 degrees, an.awake resting person needs around 4  clo of insulation to stay warm or 3 wool blankets.

At -13 F you need 6.5 clo or 5 wool blankets.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/40909134_Protection_Against_Cold_in_Prehospital_Care-Thermal_Insulation_Properties_of_Blankets_and_Rescue_Bags_in_Different_Wind_Conditions

At -20 F you need 8 wool blankets to stay warm according to the  Natick research center.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm sure it was mentioned in the thread somewhere but I would suggest just ordering poncho liners.

Cheap very effective and they last a long time and they're really warm
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The cheapest Walmart sleeping bag is warmer than the best, most expensive wool blanket.

A military wool blanket has an insulative  value of 1.3 clo.

At 32 degrees, an.awake resting person needs around 4  clo of insulation to stay warm or 3 wool blankets.

At -13 F you need 6.5 clo or 5 wool blankets.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/40909134_Protection_Against_Cold_in_Prehospital_Care-Thermal_Insulation_Properties_of_Blankets_and_Rescue_Bags_in_Different_Wind_Conditions

At -20 F you need 8 wool blankets to stay warm according to the  Natick research center.
View Quote
i use six wool blankets when sleeping in my living room in the winter.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

those are absolutely horrible.

its not woven fabric.

its like a bunch of wool lint glued together.

View Quote

Yep.  If you buy them don't put them in the washing machine by mistake.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Foil Mylar survival blankets for body wrap.  Thick moving blankets for doors and windows.

View Quote

i use the mylar space blankets for windows. seems to work pretty well. make sure you close curtains and blinds as tightly as you can too.

i have a couple of these:
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

maybe a bit pricey but decent quality. i wouldn't waste time with less at least a 4.5lb weight
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 1:44:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The solution is not to warm the house.  The solution is to preserve the body heat you naturally produce!!!  This approach works wonderfully.
View Quote

It sorta depends on where you're at and how your home is constructed.   Some people really do need to heat the whole home to ~50F or so inside just to keep pipes from bursting in the event of a cold weather power outage.   That's about the point where they really need to consider something like a wood stove.

Cold indoor temps also won't necessarily fly if you have infants in the house - it makes washing them very difficult.  It's not fun with older kids either.

I use synthetics for just about everything, but wool blankets are a good tool in the toolbox.  Just because your roof doesn't leak now, doesn't mean it's not going to when you need the blanket... or that you won't have pipes burst... or that you'll even be able to be in the house at all.   They'll work around campfires that would wreck synthetics.

Cheap fleece blankets work great in most situations, and being cheap they should be about the first thing you get and you should have a couple per person.. but if you ask me what blanket to take for an unspecified emergency and I can only have one, it's going to be something like a USGI wool blanket.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top