Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2019 12:32:54 AM EDT
My 30+ year old home made elevated box blind is about due to be replaced. I’ve seen some fancy “condos” some of you have posted here. However, I’d like to get a discussion going about the ones available, pros/cons, recommendations, etc.

Examples: Banks Blinds, Redneck. I’m sure there are others out there... maybe less expensive. I’m willing to drop a little coin but a couple thousand seems a bit much.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 12:54:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I've built a couple over the years one out of sheet metal left over from a farm building.  I have looked long and hard at the expensive plastic ones but the cost is outrageous.  My thought on what I would like to build next summer is to find the pre fabricated metal connectors that the 4x4's go in then build one about 4 ft by 7 ft using two 4x8 sheets of ply wood with  either 2x4 or 4x4 in the middle double thick floor then cut the wall boards in town and assemble it in the country. But It sure would be easier to back the trailer up and load one of the plastic ones.  I feel your pain. I could almost see dropping 600 in a plastic one but not two grand, you could get a small rubbermaid shed for less.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got 5 Shadowhunters.  They got bought out by a larger company and aren't quite as nice as they once were.  1/2 the price of the Muddy's and Rednecks.  Light and easy to elevate or move as well.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 9:04:49 AM EDT
[#3]
In my AO, squirrels chew the living shit out of permanent ground blinds.  About the only thing they don't totally destroy are pressure treated components.  When 8 ft. landscape timbers go on sale at Home Despot I get some to use as framing members.  The cladding needs to be pressure treated plywood when I can pick it up at an auction for cheap.  Outside cladding is rolled roofing.  The blinds are very substantial and effective.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 1:04:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got 5 Shadowhunters.  They got bought out by a larger company and aren't quite as nice as they once were.  1/2 the price of the Muddy's and Rednecks.  Light and easy to elevate or move as well.
View Quote
Didn’t summit outdoors buy them out?
 I really like the shadow hunter blinds, plus they are easy to put up when you use the elevator brackets. They say they are rodent and bug proof, let’s hope.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#5]
We've got two manufactured box blinds, similar to the Ambush Stalkers.  I don't remember what brand they are, but I believe they are made in MN.  We chose to buy these because they are insulated, cost effective, and allow for archery shots a lot better than many of the "build it yourself" plans we've used in the past.  After lumber and brackets for the stands, we're into both for a total of around $1700.  split 3 ways that's not a bad investment.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My 30+ year old home made elevated box blind is about due to be replaced. I've seen some fancy "condos" some of you have posted here. However, I'd like to get a discussion going about the ones available, pros/cons, recommendations, etc.

Examples: Banks Blinds, Redneck. I'm sure there are others out there... maybe less expensive. I'm willing to drop a little coin but a couple thousand seems a bit much.
View Quote
If you decide to buy one OTS, I would make sure you can see and sit in it for a while. Check the acoustics.  A deer hunting buddy of mine's dad just bought one.  Every little move or hiccup sounds like a bomb went off according to him; some exaggeration obviously.

Another friend has some Redneck houses and they are very nice.  See if you can attend a deer hunting conference or expo or whatever.  A lot of times, they'll sell them at a big discount just so they don't have to take them back.

Good luck.

ETA:  My latest one, this one is going to my Back 20 when I get it finished.  4x6.

Link Posted: 12/19/2019 1:13:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
 I really like the shadow hunter blinds, plus they are easy to put up when you use the elevator brackets. They say they are rodent and bug proof, let’s hope.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I believe it was Summit who bought them.  They kind of cheapened them up to fit into a certain market segment.  The elevators are stupid easy to install and rock solid once you get all set up.  I've been using the 8' x 8' Octagon blind for about 7 years behind my house.  No rodents have been experienced even though the raccoons have really tried hard.  Still get spiders and some flies here and there but otherwise, yes, rodent proof.  The 4 newer ones have been fine and impervious to the abundant porcupine, chipmunk, and squirrel population in Mid-Michigan.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 1:21:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a guy at a local welding shop make this. It’s 14’ to the floor and 20’ to the roof. It cost $600 and it’ll last longer than I will. It’s also built on skids, so I can move it around without much drama. I can’t see paying for those that cost several thousand dollars.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I had a guy at a local welding shop make this. It’s 14’ to the floor and 20’ to the roof. It cost $600 and it’ll last longer than I will. It’s also built on skids, so I can move it around without much drama. I can’t see paying for those that cost several thousand dollars.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/55995/166825C4-7D5E-4538-862E-C3D24A1CF9DA_jpeg-1201855.JPG
View Quote
You don't hunt in -20 degree and 20 mph snowy wind now do ya?

I'll do and it's because of those expensive blinds with window systems and insulation.  Sucks getting out to gut one on those conditions though.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 8:36:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We've got two manufactured box blinds, similar to the Ambush Stalkers.  I don't remember what brand they are, but I believe they are made in MN.  We chose to buy these because they are insulated, cost effective, and allow for archery shots a lot better than many of the "build it yourself" plans we've used in the past.  After lumber and brackets for the stands, we're into both for a total of around $1700.  split 3 ways that's not a bad investment.
View Quote
I'd be very interesting in learning the brand name?
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:33:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You don't hunt in -20 degree and 20 mph snowy wind now do ya?

I'll do and it's because of those expensive blinds with window systems and insulation.  Sucks getting out to gut one on those conditions though.
View Quote
No, you got me on that one. It was 26 today and that’s about all I wanted. It’s usually somewhere between 80 and 30 during hunting season around here.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 2:16:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you happen to travel across I80 going east in Indiana, from the Eastpoint Toll Plaza (Angola IN) to just before the welcome to Ohio sign (about 3 miles) look to the south side of the highway I counted 7 shadow hunter blinds.  They are on the edge of the fields and some back in the woods.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 10:28:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you happen to travel across I80 going east in Indiana, from the Eastpoint Toll Plaza (Angola IN) to just before the welcome to Ohio sign (about 3 miles) look to the south side of the highway I counted 7 shadow hunter blinds.  They are on the edge of the fields and some back in the woods.
View Quote
They (Shadow Hunter) are out of FT. Wayne now so that would make some sense.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:47:28 PM EDT
[#14]
My uncle built one that's about 7'x7' its on 4x4 frame.  6'ish internal height it sits about 4' off the ground removable salvaged windows on 3 sides insulated.  I hunted with him out of it for the first time and it was very nice and warm we do need to come up with a better shooting situation though I was the first one to shoot out of it and missed a doe @305 yards and we then realized that he needs something more sturdy than sitting on a bucket and resting on the window sill.  So whatever you do make sure you can get a good sturdy shooting postion above all else
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
...we do need to come up with a better shooting situation though. I was the first one to shoot out of it and missed a doe @305 yards and we then realized that he needs something more sturdy than sitting on a bucket and resting on the window sill.  So whatever you do make sure you can get a good sturdy shooting postion above all else.
View Quote
This one uses a 2x12 for the front and a 2x10 in the rear.  The 2x10 slides in and out like a keyboard drawer, supported by 2x4's.

You might consider doing similar and could possibly put the front support on the outside for more room. It's a rock-solid setup.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 9:57:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This one uses a 2x12 for the front and a 2x10 in the rear.  The 2x10 slides in and out like a keyboard drawer, supported by 2x4's.

You might consider doing similar and could possibly put the front support on the outside for more room. It's a rock-solid setup.
https://i.imgur.com/hzt8Cts.jpg
View Quote
that's not a bad idea. I actually just got off the phone with my uncle and he told me he now has a triangle sheet of plywood that can be moved to any corner of the blind as a table and he can set up the bags he said its a lot steadier than how I had taken my shot. But ill definelty keep your idea in mind if that doesn't work
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I just use a Trigger Stick under the bottom of the stock if I need to be steadier.  I don't usually shoot past 150 yards though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top