Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/25/2018 5:16:46 PM EDT
For a couple of months now I've been cooking stored white rice out of my buckets and I have a couple questions. Does anyone have a secret way to cook rice so it doesn't stick? My current method is to rinse the rice a few times to remove the starch then soak it overnight to get rid of any arsenic. I then cook 1 cup of rice in 2 cups of water for 8 minutes, I also add a teaspoon of coconut oil to reduce the calories. This works well but my rice still sticks from time to time. In a true SHTF situation and not having spare water to rinse and soak rice overnight, how would you guys cook your rice?

Also, we always talk about how you can smell someone cooking food from quite a distance away, has anyone smelled someone cooking rice?
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Your over thinking it, my g/f is asian, cooks rice on stove longer then 8 minutes. And never heard of sitting over nite, thats for beans,

Dont know what kinda rice your using, we only use real deal asian rice in 50 lb bags , also it only needs rinsed once and its mainly to remove small rocks/pebbles.

G/f says cook more rice, like 2 cups, she said cooking smaller quantities is harder, i dunno, i dont personally cook it, lol

We eat rice 5 days a week, stove top takes a knack, also might wanna add jus a lil more water and cook longer
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag.

i put a lil butter in mines
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#3]
How does adding coconut oil reduce calories?
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 6:25:42 PM EDT
[#4]
An electric rice cooker is about as fool proof as they come. Just add rice and water and press start.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An electric rice cooker is about as fool proof as they come. Just add rice and water and press start.
View Quote
It is indeed, however in a true SHTF situation, it might not be so easy to run an electric rice cooker...
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 6:52:24 PM EDT
[#6]
For a long time I followed directions on the bag and boiled the rice for a minute or two then lowered the heat to simmer for 18-20 minutes. Always hit or miss.
Then I read somewhere awhile back to cook it at a boil for 6-8 minutes at a medium boil, turn it down to low simmer till water is absorbed. Comes out perfect every time now. I usually put a pat of butter in before the rice, or a touch of evoo to keep it from getting sticky.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It is indeed, however in a true SHTF situation, it might not be so easy to run an electric rice cooker...
View Quote
In a SHTF situation, would sticky rice be a big concern?
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not to mention how it will derail your Keto diet.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you ever tried eating uncooked rice?

That's the concern, not sticky rice.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
But how will I get my Latte or cappuccino in SHTF. I hate the instant crap.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 10:19:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
This, this, this.

Proper rice is sticky, so it can be eaten with chopsticks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 10:23:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 10:32:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For a long time I followed directions on the bag and boiled the rice for a minute or two then lowered the heat to simmer for 18-20 minutes. Always hit or miss.
Then I read somewhere awhile back to cook it at a boil for 6-8 minutes at a medium boil, turn it down to low simmer till water is absorbed. Comes out perfect every time now. I usually put a pat of butter in before the rice, or a touch of evoo to keep it from getting sticky.
View Quote
THIS....

My wife is Chinese and we eat a good bit of rice too.

While we nearly always use a Zojirushi rice cooker (which is awesome, I highly recommend the brand) that produces perfect rice every time, I know that not only can you turn down the rice near the end of the cook, but 1) don't crank the heat at the beginninh and 2) you can actually turn the heat off before the rice is fully cooked (say 3 minutes earlier) and let it absorb the water....no stickiness!

As for SHTF, I'm going to be plugging that Zojirushi into my power bank or the inverter in my car...it's got no rotating parts and such so a cheap modified sine wave will work just fine.

Good luck out there.
RW
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 10:37:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I love rice but hate cooking it. Searched for a foolproof method that wouldnt lead to scorched pans, undercooked rice, or require precision timing. Pulled an old double boiler out the kitchen cabinet and used that. It is literally impossible to screw it up. Just fill the top half with your rice/water ratio, fill the bottom pan with water, set it over a flame, and ignore it...go play on the internet or something...come back later and it's cooked perfectly. Cant burn, cant scorch, and I don't think you can overcook it either. Just don't let the lower pan run dry. Since all youre doing is boiling water, you dont need temperature control....just throw out as much or as little heat as you want...you're just trying to boil water. Since you dont need heat control, you can use it over a fire made of salvaged 2x4's from your wrecked house after the hurricane leaves.

Double boilers arent as common as they used to be, but you can find them on Amazon or at thrift shops.

https://www.thekitchn.com/double-boilers-what-are-they-a-132018
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 11:12:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Just thought of another method....this is something my wife's family does in China all the time...

Get yourself a good thermos, put in rice, add appropriate amount of boiling water...put on the cap and leave it for a day - rice will be cooked perfectly and will be just like it came out of the pan - hot.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 11:25:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This, this, this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This, this, this.

This, this, this

You are trying too hard.  Single rinse to remove the talc/anti clumping agent and follow rice cooker instructions.

If your SHTF preps can't handle a rice cooker, you need to reassess your preps.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#17]
been using the same Hitachi rice cooker since 1972 (bought when stationed in Japan, and used a lot in the Philippines, only occasionally since then, but still makes perfect rice)....at the jungle survival school next to my operations area in the PI, the native Negritos would place rice and onions in heavy poly bags ( don't remember if MREs came in or USAID rice), add hot water, and attach them to their ruck frames... by lunch time they had cooked rice

try adding some sugar to a hand full of rice, cover with 2x the depth of water and refrigerate (I use a plastic cup)...  try after cold soaking overnight
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#19]
pot

oil to coat bottom

add rice-any amount

cook for 3-5 minutes until the grains turn white

at 1.5x water as rice

cover/cook for 5-8 minutes, until most of the water is gone

turn off heat walk away

let sit for up to 1hr (min 15 minutes), it will still be warm

eat it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of my fears. I have 100lbs of beans in rotation and green coffee beans in cans....
I have started growing coffee in the greenhouse but I don't think it will work.
We have a few thousand caffeine pills but when the coffee runs out that will be TEOTWAWKI!!!
How else will I stay awake when the rice diets we are all going on cause us to become diabetic?
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 2:16:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

One of my fears. I have 100lbs of beans in rotation and green coffee beans in cans....
We have a few thousand caffeine pills but when the coffee runs out that will be TEOTWAWKI!!!
How else will I stay awake when the rice diets we are all going on cause us to become diabetic?
View Quote
My suggestion is start looking at natural stuff
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask a house servant to get you some...
Oh wait...thats for blenders.

Your answer is margarita powdered drink mixes.........
And a water distiller
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I put rice in pot, put cold water in so that it covers it by about an inch, bring to boil, turn it down, then when its done its done.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
More natural than coffee?
Why?
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 6:17:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Why?
View Quote
You jus said.yourself that the coffee isnt working in the greenhouse
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#26]
are you cooking over gas or electric stove(it makes a big difference)? if making plain rice I bring water to a boil first add rinsed rice cover and bring back to a boil then I transfer it to a different burner that I warmed up while waiting for water to boil on #2 heat. let it cook 10-15min (more time for more rice ie. 1 cup 10min 3 cups 15min) then turn off the heat and leave it on the burner for another 10min and I always get perfect rice.

if you have a gas stove you don't have to transfer over just turn it down after bringing to a boil.

For spanish rice it's similar but slightly different. I fry the uncooked rice with some minced garlic and onion in oil for a few min then add the water, bullion, tomatoes, and pepper (quick way I use tomato sauce at a 30-50% ratio to the rice, garlic powder and onion powder) cover and bring to a boil then turn heat down(or transfer to lower temp burner) cooking like above.

#1 rule in rice cooking. never open the lid until it's finished! if your not sure wait a little longer.

I always use a 2:1 ratio of water to rice
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?
So not "more natural" but a different product? Tea maybe?
I have planted chicory but I'm not big on it at some point I will end up on an local grown herbal tea for something hot and a caffeine pill.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I was taught and have always done the "Bring it to a boil, then simmer for 20 mins" thing.

One thing I have noticed is that cooking over a gas cooktop seems not to have the sticking issues than an electric cooktop does.  Not sure why.  Anyone else experience that?
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#29]
What kind of rice?  Some of it is supposed to be sticky - Japanese rice, short and medium grained rice, are supposed to be sticky.  Long grain rice is generally not supposed to be sticky.

We make sticky rice in a zojirushi rice cooker, but from what I've read to get non sticky rice, mix a tbs of oil in with the water first and use a bit less water: 1-1/2 c water to 1 c rice, rather than the 2:1 you usually see.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
One thing I have noticed is that cooking over a gas cooktop seems not to have the sticking issues than an electric cooktop does.  Not sure why.  Anyone else experience that?
View Quote
Unless you use copper on electric, at high heats things will stick/burn/dry out because the heat is concentrated in one place.

I only cook for 5-7 minutes and let sit, that keeps from over cooking
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 8:29:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I was taught and have always done the "Bring it to a boil, then simmer for 20 mins" thing.

View Quote
I think it's because it takes too long to go from high heat(bringing to boil) down to simmer hence my 2 burner method above.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Gas burner hits high or low temp immediately.  Pot and water and rice need to heat up or cool off, but it gets temp change quicker.

Resistance burners on electric stoves tend to hold heat longer and also tend to take longer to heat up in my opinion.

I agree with cooking reasonable amounts of rice at a time.

If you have an instant pot, mine does rice perfectly every time and it may be much like the double boiler someone mentioned.

I can cook it on a stove top but my stove sucks, the burners suck, and overall temp control sucks.

Hence why I got an instant pot.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 2:20:55 AM EDT
[#33]
What kind or rice are you cooking?
Short grain rice is sticky. Many cultures, like the Chinese prefer this.
Long grain rice, such as basmati, are far less sticky, and used in places such as Pakistan and India.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 11:09:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Rinse your rice 3 times.
Chinese people I used to work told me this.

Then use a rice cooker, ( they are cheap ) if your have one.
Perfect rice everytime.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 11:17:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Rinse your rice 3 times.

Perfect rice everytime.
View Quote
Hard to imagine using that much water if SHTF.
But Im in NM.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 5:10:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Road warrior ...that's a great idea with the thermous.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:15:16 AM EDT
[#38]
You are waaayyyy over thinking this rice deal.  Trust me....

How do I cook it?  One cup of rice in the pot.  Add two cups, sometimes a smidgeon more, water.  Sometimes add a bit of fats, either oil or butter.  Slap a lid on and bring it to a boil.  Once boiling, reduce heat to a slow simmer.  If you continually boil on high, the rice sticks.  If you turn it down, heat wise, it simmers slowly.  Stir occasionally.  When most of the water has been absorbed but its still a little 'soupy', turn the heat off and make sure the cover is on tight.  Let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes.  Its done.  Perfect every freaking time, light, fluffy, doesnt stick....

My brother has a fresh-off-the-boat Phillipina girlfriend/fiancee.  I asked her, since she eats rice three times a day.  She uses a rice cooker, but failing that, its boiled in a pot of water.  No fuss, no muss.

I think the real key is "good" rice.  Personally, we use about 60 lbs a year of high quality basmati.  And probably about half that as parboiled.  Parboiled is great of storage..... far less bug issues, and its cooks well without fuss.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 9:20:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 11:08:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
here toy go
View Quote
This is how I cooked rice when in college, mainly because it was easy and quick, but if you've had great rice before and have the time this will be your backup technique.  Keep in mind with the above technique I often would cook my favorite beans "al dente" and add it to the rice when I Start cooking it.

Now for absolutely the BEST rice in the world!!!  If you want to see how good it is go to a Persian resturant and try one of their rice dishes.

Persian Steamed Rice
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:30:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
But Im in NM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rinse your rice 3 times.

Perfect rice everytime.
But Im in NM.
I'm in West Texas and water is at a premium here also.
OPs question was about cooking rice that he has stored  not about SHTF usage.

Common sense comes into play at some point there.

The rinsing the rice 3 times makes a better tasting rice.
Pluse helps get any debris out .

Rice cooker if following the directions makes perfect rice every time.

You can still make good rice on stove top you just have to stay with it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:02:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rinse your rice 3 times.

Perfect rice everytime.
But Im in NM.

That was his first question.  His second question was "In a true SHTF situation and not having spare water to rinse and soak rice overnight, how would you guys cook your rice? "
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
For a couple of months now I've been cooking stored white rice out of my buckets and I have a couple questions. Does anyone have a secret way to cook rice so it doesn't stick? My current method is to rinse the rice a few times to remove the starch then soak it overnight to get rid of any arsenic. I then cook 1 cup of rice in 2 cups of water for 8 minutes, I also add a teaspoon of coconut oil to reduce the calories. This works well but my rice still sticks from time to time. In a true SHTF situation and not having spare water to rinse and soak rice overnight, how would you guys cook your rice?

Also, we always talk about how you can smell someone cooking food from quite a distance away, has anyone smelled someone cooking rice?
View Quote
@bishop2355

Use Alton Brown's method in the video below.  Substitute the coconut oil for the butter.  No rinsing or soaking overnight.  It uses water sparingly.  Trust me on this.  Try it out at least and you'll see.  No stickiness if you follow his method.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/perfect-rice-in-a-rush-recipe-1957606
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 7:56:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That was his first question.  His second question was "In a true SHTF situation and not having spare water to rinse and soak rice overnight, how would you guys cook your rice? "
View Quote
Well my bad on that.
Skimmed over before posting that and should re-read it.

Rice water ratio is 2 to 1.
2 cups water to 1 cup rice.

Soaking using less water I believe will still leave it crunchy.

Cook on low medium heat if going stove top for about 20 minutes.

Day old rice makes the best fried rice .
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 8:00:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
@bishop2355

Use Alton Brown's method in the video below.  Substitute the coconut oil for the butter.  No rinsing or soaking overnight.  It uses water sparingly.  Trust me on this.  Try it out at least and you'll see.  No stickiness if you follow his method.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/perfect-rice-in-a-rush-recipe-1957606
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@bishop2355

On cell so didn't watch video did he use electric skillet ?

Have you tired this on a gas range and if you did how'd it turn out ?
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 10:52:23 AM EDT
[#46]
This Thread reminds me I need to store more rice.
I had about 400 pound sandbags that I didn't store properly and got bugs in it. Luckily my chickens loved it.
What's the best source of bulk rice that's sealed for long-term storage? LDS?
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 7:21:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@bishop2355

@1fromtx

Gas range but he pre-heats the water in an electric skillet separately.  You do need two heat sources and gas is fine for both.  You cannot screw up the rice.  Super easy!
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 12:12:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This Thread reminds me I need to store more rice.
I had about 400 pound sandbags that I didn't store properly and got bugs in it. Luckily my chickens loved it.
What's the best source of bulk rice that's sealed for long-term storage? LDS?
View Quote
I've heard that freezing for a few days new batches of purchased rice kills the bugs that are hiding in the rice when it gets bagged. I'd do 5 gallon buckets with tight fitting lids and some oxygen absorber packets after it comes out of the freezer.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 10:41:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 11:03:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Your over thinking it, my g/f is asian, cooks rice on stove longer then 8 minutes. And never heard of sitting over nite, thats for beans,

Dont know what kinda rice your using, we only use real deal asian rice in 50 lb bags , also it only needs rinsed once and its mainly to remove small rocks/pebbles.

G/f says cook more rice, like 2 cups, she said cooking smaller quantities is harder, i dunno, i dont personally cook it, lol

We eat rice 5 days a week, stove top takes a knack, also might wanna add jus a lil more water and cook longer
View Quote
Same. wife is Filipino. we have the rice dispenser and use a rice cooker. I would recommend the rice cooker.

ETA also rice is SUPPOSED to be sticky.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top