Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2019 3:17:41 PM EDT
In general what is the legality of hunting deer with a short barrel shotgun/rifle in states where possession of registered SBS/SBR are legal. For example, a 14" 12ga shotgun would be pretty handy in a blind.

Of course we're also talking about an SBS that's properly registered with the ATF and then also otherwise compliant for hunting (ie: in Ohio, shotgun/rifle capacity is only 3 shots total).
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 3:29:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Legal in ky.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 3:35:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Kind of a grey area last I read the ORC and OAC that contains the hunting regs.

For deer gun season, you are allowed a shotgun, handgun, or rifle in a strait wall caliber, I'm sure you know, but those are how it's described in the section of the OAC that pertains to the Dept. of Wildlife.

The rub is that under Ohio Revised Code, SBSs and SBRs are defined as "Dangerous Ordinance", not legally the same as "Rifles" or "Shotguns" in our legal code.  So an argument could be made that dangerous ordinance is not permitted for taking deer, but there really isn't anything definitive I'm aware of that sets it apart since its a discrepancy between the definition in the Revised Code (codified laws) and the Administrative Code (rules written by the ODNR in this case).

For what it's worth, Silencers are also considered dangerous ordinance here, and it took an addition to the ORC to specifically call them out as allowed for use while hunting.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 3:37:55 PM EDT
[#3]
It will vary from state to state, and maybe from hunting zone to zone. State or local laws may have definitions of SBS, or other firearms that vary from federal law. Honestly, it's best to thoroughly read the hunting regulations for the area you intend to hunt. In my state, SBSs are, AFIK, gtg for game ( unsure about waterfowl, probably not suited for waterfowl anyway).
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Grey area in OH.

Illegal in IN, just went through that.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 7:31:16 PM EDT
[#5]
About a year ago I asked our game warden this same question except for rabbit. (I like to hunt in heavy brush). Was told it's a no-no.
Maybe some things changed since then.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 7:58:03 PM EDT
[#6]
@p3590

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Grey area in OH.

Illegal in IN, just went through that.
View Quote
What happened in your situation?
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 1:31:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
About a year ago I asked our game warden this same question except for rabbit. (I like to hunt in heavy brush). Was told it's a no-no.
Maybe some things changed since then.
View Quote
Did he cite any regulations or rulings?
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 9:03:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd think anything 18" and over would be legal. IDK about shorter lengths, but I wouldn't take the chance unless something definitive were to turn up stating otherwise. There is a federal law that makes shotgun barrel lengths of under 18" illegal. I wouldn't think any state law or lack thereof to the contrary would render the federal law null and void.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top