Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2021 5:13:06 PM EDT
I need to outfit a team with Leathermans for basic stuff (like in a car or bag and used to do nothing specific - so don't need the EOD version). I'd rather pay $50 than $99 to buy 10 of them. Anyone have favorable experience with these little guys?
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 5:44:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I carry the Es4 because of the wire stripper which I use several times a week.  The flat screwdriver is the end of the nail file and that broke right away.  Otherwise it is ok.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I carry the Es4 because of the wire stripper which I use several times a week.  The flat screwdriver is the end of the nail file and that broke right away.  Otherwise it is ok.
View Quote

Thanks.

So the ES4 has a weak screwdriver? Does a different squirt have a stronger screwdriver, or is this a common theme with mini multi-tools?
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer the tool selection on the Gerber.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I buy old PST and PST II on Ebay, they are the best mix of price, size, and ability for me.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 10:27:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Consider the Leatherman Rebar (smaller version of the super tool 300)... you should be able to catch a deal on them for you price point.

Link Posted: 11/4/2021 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the wingman, it has a pretty decent scissors that I use the most.

Also, check eBay for used ones. Sometimes there leatherman a sold as lots.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 3:08:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks @Eli75 @wildearp @mpisi @Rapidfire_85 for the above replies

Follow-up question - Home Depot has the Gerber Suspension-NXT for $25 - thoughts on this unit?
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 3:28:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I like the wingman, it has a pretty decent scissors that I use the most.

Also, check eBay for used ones. Sometimes there leatherman a sold as lots.
View Quote

Wingman is cheap but bigger than Squirt.  i have both and like them.  wingman is the better tool for sure.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Wingman is cheap but bigger than Squirt.  i have both and like them.  wingman is the better tool for sure.
View Quote

Thanks @DV8EDD

Follow-up question - Home Depot has the Gerber Suspension-NXT for $25 - thoughts on this unit?
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks @DV8EDD

View Quote

@sendit14 never played with one but looks like the size of the Wingman so definitely worth considering, especially if it makes a difference in budget.  Now that I check Wingman price on amazon I realize I paid quite a bit less for mine, pretty sure I bought it on sale but that was in 2017.

Also, should have mentioned, one thing that I like about the Wingman is the plier function is springed so it tensions open, great for using one handed.  One thing I dont like is that its an odd shape on one end and when squeezing pliers tight it can dig into your hand a bit.

Overall it's a stout tool but didnt realize it was listed at $60 now.

ETA - I checked my receipt, paid $30 for it in 2017 off Amazon.  I like it but not sure I'd buy it again for $60.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 4:55:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@sendit14 never played with one but looks like the size of the Wingman so definitely worth considering, especially if it makes a difference in budget.  Now that I check Wingman price on amazon I realize I paid quite a bit less for mine, pretty sure I bought it on sale but that was in 2017.

Also, should have mentioned, one thing that I like about the Wingman is the plier function is springed so it tensions open, great for using one handed.  One thing I dont like is that its an odd shape on one end and when squeezing pliers tight it can dig into your hand a bit.

Overall it's a stout tool but didnt realize it was listed at $60 now.

ETA - I checked my receipt, paid $30 for it in 2017 off Amazon.  I like it but not sure I'd buy it again for $60.
View Quote

??
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#12]
You mentioned the Squirt, but if larger ones are in the running I'd take a look at the Ozark Trail Multiforce 18-in-1.   I don't own one so I can't attest to how long they hold up to hard use, but it appears to be a Leatherman Wave type clone and it runs about $40

Main tools accessible from the outside and they have liner locks like the Wave.  Has a pocket clip, and bit driver apparently accepts any normal 1/4" bits (you'll want to add one of those teeny magnets since the included bit uses ball detent), and comes with a bit extension.  No idea about the quality of the wire cutters.  

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Multiforce-Premium-18-In-1-Multi-Tool/702960709

Leatherman Wave+ vs Ozark Trail Multiforce

Quick Easy Ozark Trail Multiforce Mods
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 12:57:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Recently got one at $23 from Amazon, seems to be a good value.  I don't expect much from multitools really... thus my preference for the old PSTs since they are so compact.  That gerber is quite a bit bigger, both thicker and wider.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You mentioned the Squirt, but if larger ones are in the running I'd take a look at the Ozark Trail Multiforce 18-in-1.   I don't own one so I can't attest to how long they hold up to hard use, but it appears to be a Leatherman Wave type clone and it runs about $40

Main tools accessible from the outside and they have liner locks like the Wave.  Has a pocket clip, and bit driver apparently accepts any normal 1/4" bits (you'll want to add one of those teeny magnets since the included bit uses ball detent), and comes with a bit extension.  No idea about the quality of the wire cutters.  

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Multiforce-Premium-18-In-1-Multi-Tool/702960709

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO7uvC9Pskw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ink9IGzLq38
View Quote

I picked the squirt because it seems to have MVP usage at lowest price point in the Leatherman line. I wasn't thinking Gerber until a guy posted above, so when I saw the tool at HD I figured I'd ask
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 3:22:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Recently got one at $23 from Amazon, seems to be a good value.  I don't expect much from multitools really... thus my preference for the old PSTs since they are so compact.  That gerber is quite a bit bigger, both thicker and wider.
View Quote

??
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 11:50:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Just realized that I never closed the loop on this.

I picked up the NXT at Home Depot before Christmas.

Thanks again for all the feedback.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top