Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2018 8:35:48 AM EDT
Trying to get a feel for what you guys do to effectively lead a hog on the run and make a good shot. Let's just say for conversation purpose, 100 yards away. This would be after the initial shot and the rest of the group is hauling ass trying to get away.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 8:43:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Practice. There is a lot of variables to concider, distance, bullet data, direction, speed of target, size etc.

It won't take you long, around 100y you don't have to lead them much. Trying counting when target shooting around 100y and you will get a feel of how quickly the bullet will get to the target, use that info and you will learn to not over lead the hogs.

Inches in front of to right on the tip of the snout at 100y has worked pretty well for me.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 8:56:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Hogs bounce when they run so try to time your shot for when they are in the bottom of their bounds. Anywhere between their eye and snout depending on the resolution of your optic.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Sniper Country and Sniper Hide usually have discussions about moving targets and how much to lead.  I haven't been to either in a while, but I am sure you will find what you are looking for.

Having your rifle mounted on a tripod makes this a bit smoother.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 10:56:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I put my crosshairs on the tip and bridge of their nose. Seems to work well for .45-70, .50 Beowulf and 7mm-08.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn, that's a lot easier to remember than trying to crunch numbers (which is what I was doing). So consensus is tip of the snout, I can do that. Are you guys using a sustained lead or swing through method?
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Repetition doesn't hurt.  I actually shoot best when they're running
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Using 300,308,556 I hold my dot on the nose.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Lots of videos on YouTube taken from thermals... gives you an idea.

I will shoot them on the run depending on whether or not cattle or horses are nearby.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Time of flight at 100 yds for a 55 gr 223 is about 0.1 seconds. If a pig is running perpendicular to you at 20 mph which is 30ft/sec the lead would be approx 3 ft. If it’s running 30mph or 45 ft/sec the lead is 4.5 ft.

A quick conversion is multiply mph by 1.5 to get ft/sec. You can look up your flight times at different distances fo4 different bullets, but two things I’ve noticed are practice and the lead is usually longer than you think!
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 10:08:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Practice.
View Quote
This.
You don't have time to crunch numbers, you'll just have to get the feel for it, just like wingshooting a dove, but as posted above, the lead can be pretty significant at longer ranges.
Hogs don't bound as much as deer, but just like a deer, the only time they can't change direction is in midair.  There are lots of logs and gullies where we hunt and they'll bound over things.  If you've got an idea of where the trail goes you can catch them mid-bound.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Just like you learn the wind drift and drop of your round of choice, know your leads before you go hunting. Most people don’t have any idea what their lead on a moving animal is.

We are cursed with pigs, and most of our attempts at eradication is done at night using thermal and suppressors. After one or two shots at under 50 yds, a sounder of 20+ pigs are running wide open across fields that can be 300 yds to over 1000 yds. Lots of fun, lots of shooting, but not so much hitting.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Damn, that's a lot easier to remember than trying to crunch numbers (which is what I was doing). So consensus is tip of the snout, I can do that. Are you guys using a sustained lead or swing through method?
View Quote
I try to aim between the tip of the nose and the eyes, depending on range, speed, and angle.  Yes, I try to swing along with them.  Lots of time you'll hit one a few times, so the lead is less as they slow down.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 2:53:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just like you learn the wind drift and drop of your round of choice, know your leads before you go hunting. Most people don’t have any idea what their lead on a moving animal is.

We are cursed with pigs, and most of our attempts at eradication is done at night using thermal and suppressors. After one or two shots at under 50 yds, a sounder of 20+ pigs are running wide open across fields that can be 300 yds to over 1000 yds. Lots of fun, lots of shooting, but not so much hitting.
View Quote
Yeah our fields aren't that big and or that flat so they dip and dive into hollows and terraces. And tracking seems to work better for me over trapping the shot. But occasionally through cuts you have to trap them. But I'm not real good at it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Todd at LSB did a good video a long while ago about different leading techniques. Look that up.

My preference is to keep the gun swinging through the shot, just like in skeet shooting. A tripod is irreplaceable for consistency.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 10:35:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Todd at LSB did a good video a long while ago about different leading techniques. Look that up.
View Quote
I've watched that video a couple times. Along with every other thermal hog hunting video. After bringing this up, I've found that when I watch those videos again, I'm not "zoned out" just watching the action. I'm actually paying attention to where they are placing the reticle and I'll be damned, most every one I watch, they are placing that sumbitch on their snout or just in front of.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Time of flight at 100 yds for a 55 gr 223 is about 0.1 seconds. If a pig is running perpendicular to you at 20 mph which is 30ft/sec the lead would be approx 3 ft. If it’s running 30mph or 45 ft/sec the lead is 4.5 ft.

A quick conversion is multiply mph by 1.5 to get ft/sec. You can look up your flight times at different distances fo4 different bullets, but two things I’ve noticed are practice and the lead is usually longer than you think!
View Quote
I've never thought about it in terms of math, but just had a WTF moment.  Makes perfect sense.

I usually try to get the shot off when crosshairs are about 1 foot ahead of the pig's snout.  My first ever thermal kill was on a 60 pound pig going as fast as he could, perpendicular to me at about 80 yards.  I shot about a foot or so in front of his snout (or tried to), and absolutely Kennedy'ed him.  Instant cartwheel.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 3:51:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Another thing to consider with thermals is display lag, just like any other camera system.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 6:15:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is to complex a system for my brain. I’m sure it’s mathematically accurate, but if you miss, double your lead.  They run faster than you think .  When they flip, your lead is perfect.  Repeat that lead until all flipping done.   Go to next pasture, and repeat prices until out of ammo/jerky/coffee.  Then go to one more pasture, nobody ever kills them sitting on the couch....
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This is to complex a system for my brain. I’m sure it’s mathematically accurate, but if you miss, double your lead.  They run faster than you think .  When they flip, your lead is perfect.  Repeat that lead until all flipping done.   Go to next pasture, and repeat prices until out of ammo/jerky/coffee.  Then go to one more pasture, nobody ever kills them sitting on the couch....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the right advice
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Trying to get a feel for what you guys do to effectively lead a hog on the run and make a good shot. Let's just say for conversation purpose, 100 yards away. This would be after the initial shot and the rest of the group is hauling ass trying to get away.
View Quote
I always put the vertical crosshairs in front of his nose and move the gun at the speed the animal is traveling. Follow through.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top