Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2020 12:34:00 PM EDT
I grew up as a Cub Scout and Boy Scout and learned orienteering with a topo and baseplate compass. Then, I grew up again and learned land navigation using MGRS.  Now, I want to be able to plot points and travel there only using map and compass in the civilian world.

I don’t have any experience with UTM plotters, but that seems like a good alternative to MGRS.  Is it easier to go with UTM or to get MGRS maps?  I keep reading that you can easily print free maps of your area with MGRS grids, but I have yet to find where to do that.

Finally, what’s a decent compass nowadays? My experience is either the basic baseplate or Cammenga lensatic. There has to be something in the middle, with adjustable declination and phosphorescent. Not looking for a tritium compass due to cost. I don’t mind charging it up with a light.

What is everyone using? (I don’t want a GPS or my phone. )
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#1]
UTM and MGRS are essentially the same.

I use a yardstick and draw lines on the map using the UTM points and now have a map that has MGRS grids.

I’m a big fan of the joint plotter vs a regular protractor.

I like the military lensatic compasses even though I’m not calling for fire any more.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
UTM and MGRS are essentially the same.

I use a yardstick and draw lines on the map using the UTM points and now have a map that has MGRS grids.

I’m a big fan of the joint plotter vs a regular protractor.

I like the military lensatic compasses even though I’m not calling for fire any more.
View Quote

I would still use the lensatic, if my supply sergeant hadn’t been so strict.

What is the difference between the joint plotter and regular protractor?
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I would still use the lensatic, if my supply sergeant hadn’t been so strict.

What is the difference between the joint plotter and regular protractor?
View Quote

Joint plotter will have all the sizes you need. Military maps are usually 1:25000, 1:50000, 1:100000

Most common civilian maps are 1:24000

Link Posted: 7/19/2020 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#4]
You can make custom maps with MGRS overlay on mytopo.com 1:25,000 is available
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Joint plotter will have all the sizes you need. Military maps are usually 1:25000, 1:50000, 1:100000

Most common civilian maps are 1:24000

https://d3gpw5q866krru.cloudfront.net/media/catalog/product/cache/3/image/1800x/a1d9939ee272765c32d6fb5885a87b26/g/r/gr-4_9.jpg
View Quote

Thanks. I think I just pulled that one up after searching based on your recommendation.  I realized I have a bunch of NG Trails Illustrated maps, which are all 1:75,000. I haven’t found anything that matches that scale.  I’m currently working on printing out 7.5 quads.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 6:08:25 AM EDT
[#6]
In case anyone was confused like I was, I found this on another forum:

“MGRS and USNG are functionally identical with the difference being that MGRS is based on the WGS84 datum and USNG is based on the NAD83 datum. The differences between the datums is 2 meters or less, so unless you're a surveyor, USNG and MGRS can be considered interchangeable coordinate systems.

FGDC adopted the US National Grid (USNG) as the civilian grid standard in 2001, which most people, even those in the federal and civilian geospatial industry, didn't realize. The USGS is printing new maps with USNG grids. The National Search and Rescue Committee (which includes AFRCC and FEMA) has also adopted USNG for ground coordinates on incidents in which the feds are activated. More on this can be found at NSARC's page on "Georeferencing Information for SAR Responders."

Both systems are based on UTM, but instead of a string of numbers for a position, USNG and MGRS substitute letters for the 1 million and 100,000 UTM grid numbers. All three systems give an identical string of numbers for the 6 digit coordinate set. These are the same point to 1 meter resolution:
UTM  13S 0332833 4268674
MGRS 13S CC 32833 68674
USNG 13S CC 32833 68674
The six digit short hand is the same for all three: 328 686.

GEOTRANS, an application that translates between these, lat/lon and many other coordinate systems and datums is available from the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency.”

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=8602.0

I never realized it was that easy. Turns out it’s just a matter of finding the right scale.

Super GTA

Link Posted: 7/21/2020 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#7]
We use utm - it’s more relevant for boots on ground even though fema would prefer usng.
Sartopo.com should allow you to print maps with grid lines if you choose.
I have abandoned grid readers because our maps don’t have consistent scale- we print maps that show the details we want not to a particular scale.

ETA:
We don’t use usng .  One reason is the duplicate numbers in each state.  The standard for Sar in Oregon is utm.
Nationally, we we told that fema is backing off of the usng standard.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I wanted to post a follow up here. I set up a land nav course this morning for some friends. We used UTM. I printed some maps from NG (7.5 quads) that were set up to print on 8.5x11 paper. The scale was off because of that, so we had to eyeball it instead of using protractors. And I had to draw in the grid lines, but it not difficult.

It went very well. Everyone found all the points. I’m glad to know this is an option on “regular” maps. I just have to get the scale figured out.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I’m pretty good with landnav (MGRS) and have taken a few classes in college involving mapping.

MGRS is by far the best system out there IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top