Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2019 4:17:13 PM EDT
So we have Kubota, JD and LS dealers all within about 20 minutes of us. Of the 3 JD is clearly the highest priced and not in the running. We have neighbors with Kubotas and LS. Everyone seems equally happy with both. I think the two biggest upsides for LS for me are

1. obviously price for LS for equal options is significantly cheaper.

2. LS are smaller and heavier than Kubota for the power. This means I can lift more in a smaller foot print and is a bonus to me. I'm sure there is a downside to this you will inform me on.

So, opinions?
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#1]
all I can say is I stopped at a LS dealer by Iowa City, IA and the sales guy was a total dick

I stopped at my local Kubota/massey dealer when I was looking for a loader bucket and that sales guy spent 2 hours selling me a NOS bucket for $200

also LS is a spinoff company of LG, I know they use Yanmar engines and I'd suspect mostly Yanmar trans and difs, they are quite a bit cheaper than Kubota but I'd guess less reliable in the long run. however I would not hesitate to buy a Yanmar tractor
Sooooo...

also myself I'm thinking about buying a Massey Ferguson GC1705
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I purchased a new LS 2025 last year and I actually have been VERY happy with it. I sold a 1983 re-man Yanmar as it had done the "hard" work I needed done and was just too big for what I need now and going forward. The lS is a dream to drive and quite capable. Although it is only 25 hp it has plenty of grunt. Only two forward speeds but the wife can drive it as it is a hydrostatic model. It runs my implements and I'd certainly buy another one.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 5:49:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Generally speaking their products are simply a few generation old on the fit and finish.

The yanmar engine generally the same you'll find in the Deere 1025 and other similar models.  The two speed transmission I suspect is the same as the older 2305 Deere.

The general look, is even the same as the old 2305.

Just my opinion.

The loader design is a bit dated. I'm sure they'll work..

My one local tractor dealer just got a ton of them in stock. First local LS dealer I've had.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Bang for the buck the LS machine is hard to beat.  If you can find a Kioti dealer nearby check them out too.  We've bought two Kioti CK35's in the last 3 years.  When we first started looking it was a toss up between the LS and Kioti for us.  We went with the Kioti originally because LS was dealing with some recall issues.  Everyone I've talked to has said that LS did right by the recalls and I haven't heard of anymore in a few years.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 12:24:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got 3 friends who went with LS tractors, and they've all been very happy with them. I think they've all had them for a few years and have had no issues. I don't know much about them, but like guyina4x4 mentioned one of my buddies seemed to think the model he bought was basically a rebranded Yanmar.

If I had a good dealer closer to me that had been around for a while I'd be willing to take a harder look at them. As it is though, I'm in pretty solid Kubota country. You can't throw a rock around here without hitting an orange tractor.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, we saw a XR4140H today that was very nice.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
You're probably getting tired of hearing it:

- FEL is quick-detachable (I prefer the SSQA version)

- 3ph implements are Quick Hitch compatible.

Compared to these two, tractor color is irrelevant, IMO.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Why would you buy a tractor without considering long-term established parts and service availability?

Keep it simple.
Pay to play.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's essentially a New Holland Boomer 40 if you wanted to compare it to something.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#10]
The LS dealers in my area are all lawnmower/chainsaw dealers branching out into selling tractors.

I've had all three of them quote me on a loaded XR4155HC and they were all clown shoes.

My interaction with the local Kubota shop was more in line with my expectations.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The LS dealers in my area are all lawnmower/chainsaw dealers branching out into selling tractors.

I've had all three of them quote me on a loaded XR4155HC and they were all clown shoes.

My interaction with the local Kubota shop was more in line with my expectations.
View Quote
This guy was a kubota dealer for years, swapped to LS about 4-5 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's mildly concerning.

Why would you swap from the #1 small tractor brand, to basically an unknown?

Sounds more like Kubota cancelled his dealership.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is he in it to be a tractor dealer or just also sell tractors.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:50:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Is he in it to be a tractor dealer or just also sell tractors.
View Quote
if you go to any farm around here you’re going to find a tractor with his sticker on it, several of them with orange and blue tractors. After talking to a few of our neighbors who have both, no one has any complaints about the LS   For our limited needs it should serve us well for many many years
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Watch this guy's videos, and then think it over.

https://youtu.be/dzixSBPffYY
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Watch this guy's videos, and then think it over.

https://youtu.be/dzixSBPffYY
View Quote
Wow, here's another one from him. That sucks, looks like he definitely got a lemon. That can happen with any brand, but looks like they were never able to get the issues straightened out, he's got a newer video reviewing his new Kubota L2501.

In this video the dealer gives him a loaner while they pick up his new LS for one of the 8 times he says they took it in to try to fix it, and it turns out the loaner is his old LS tractor he traded in for the lemon, and the reason he traded in his old one is it had an oil leak that they were never able to fix while he had it.

XG3025 LS Tractor~~ Did LS Tractor Co. Fix THIS Tractor?
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 3:35:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Wow, here's another one from him. That sucks, looks like he definitely got a lemon. That can happen with any brand, but looks like they were never able to get the issues straightened out, he's got a newer video reviewing his new Kubota L2501.

In this video the dealer gives him a loaner while they pick up his new LS for one of the 8 times he says they took it in to try to fix it, and it turns out the loaner is his old LS tractor he traded in for the lemon, and the reason he traded in his old one is it had an oil leak that they were never able to fix while he had it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki5doWWs65o
View Quote
we actually talked about this with our dealer, he said the ongoing nature of the issue was the fault of the servicing dealer failing to service it properly.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
we actually talked about this with our dealer, he said the ongoing nature of the issue was the fault of the servicing dealer failing to service it properly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, I do believe that's probably the case, and you can absolutely get a lemon from any color tractor...no brand is immune. Like I said before I know some folks who have them and have not had any issues at all.

This is said a lot in tractor buying threads, but I believe it's very true, when you're tractor shopping you're "buying the dealership" as much as you're buying the tractor. Another poster above said something that for me is key, and that is to consider if the dealership is established. It sounds like you may have found one, so that's great. If you end up getting one be sure to report back and let us now how you like it after using it a while.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 8:32:38 PM EDT
[#19]
When I saw the title I found myself wondering what kind of gearing a 5.3 would take to be effective in a tractor.... shows what I know
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 7:31:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very probable.
Makes you kinda wonder if the YouTuber was milking that lemon for all the ad revenue from YouTube.....
I think most people would have either contacted LS corporate, changed dealers, or changed tractors long before.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Very probable.
Makes you kinda wonder if the YouTuber was milking that lemon for all the ad revenue from YouTube.....
I think most people would have either contacted LS corporate, changed dealers, or changed tractors long before.
View Quote
I kinda got hooked into watched that guy's videos after seeing the one you posted, lol. It strikes me that the guy was really wanted that particular tractor and was hoping beyond hope that they would get it straightened out for him. He mentioned a few times that at first he was thinking there were just kinks needing worked out, and since the dealership was working with him on trying to get it fixed he thought (honestly as I probably would too) that surely they'd be able to get it squared away. Then it just never happened. I will say, it appears that the dealership did do everything they could to fix his tractor, but were never able to make it work. At some point you gotta pull eject and swap out the lemon for another unit altogether though.

ETA - also, based on some things he said and the feedback he got from the service department at the onset of his issues, I have to wonder if he got some bad advice that royally eff'd up the tractor and that's one of the reasons they could never fix it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 10:09:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

ETA - also, based on some things he said and the feedback he got from the service department at the onset of his issues, I have to wonder if he got some bad advice that royally eff'd up the tractor and that's one of the reasons they could never fix it.
View Quote
That was the opinion of the dealer we spoke with.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 10:20:05 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm in the market for a 35 to 50 hp tractor.

Been doing a lot of research especially between LS, Kubota and Branson

Branson's have some interesting specs.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Why would you buy a tractor without considering long-term established parts and service availability?

Keep it simple.
Pay to play.
View Quote
+1

We tied into rebuilding the trans on a Montana before they came back as an LS.  Between attempts to break into the US market parts were pending the boatride from India and the closest dealer was in Oklahoma.  This was around 2012.

I don't really care if they are the same tractor, the NH version is probably a little different and it is much more likely the NH dealer will be stocking parts for their version in years (and decades) to come.

IMO I would be between Deere, Kubota, Massey and CNH.

There is nothing worse than when your tractor is broke down and parts are a month out...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top