Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2020 11:50:02 AM EDT
I've been doing some research for a small utility tractor, 30-45 hp, not the super-mini types but what I'd call a mid-size CUT. I'd be looking mainly at the MT3 series, with HST transmission.

Usage will be primarily loader and backhoe work, general lifting/moving, light ag work (gardening, mostly), but I don't want to buy a bigger tractor when we do get a bigger homestead and need it for more ground-engagement work. I understand an HST tractor is a limitation in ground engagement, but an advantage for loader work.

LS has popped up more and more. I've done some research on them and know some of the back history, and it seems one of the biggest drawbacks is the lack of a dense dealer/support network.

What do y'all know about them from a general reliability standpoint?

(I've also been scouring TBN as well)

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I just bought an LS 4140.  I already own a 32 hp Kubota.  

I looked at a number of brands and one of the major decision criteria for me was dealer support.  

It came down to TYM [Rural King] and LS for me.  I love my Kubota but for the price and standard features I ruled them, John Deere out, and New Holland/Case out.  

The dealer I bought my tractor from is 3rd generation owner in his early 40's [2nd generation is still around] with a complete repair shop.  Their store was well stocked, full of various brands [Stihl, Husqavarna, Titan.... all quality brands] and their repair shop was organized and had some guys with gray hair working [along with younger guys].  

Rural King selling re-branded TYM was just opening up sales from their store in my area [they have been selling tractors at other stores for a few years] and are going to build a shop [i.e., no repair facilities yet].  Cabela's and other box stores have gone into and out of the tractor business.  I like Rural King stores and management a lot but liked the LS dealer's stability.  Since LS also makes tractors for New Holland/Case I should be able to get non-warranty work.  I actually paid a bit more for the LS over the TYM.  

Others I researched but none had dealer support near me:  Branson ,  Mahindra , Kioti

You'll find that many So. Korean tractor makers have their products re-branded and sold my 'named' companies.  

I have a thread asking much the same questions as you, when I did my search, but it apparently has been archived.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Plus1 for the HST on loader work. I bought an LS 2025 last year and have quite pleased with it. Not a monster by any means but around our place it works great. Maintains a half mile of road, mows bar ditches, lifts stuff in/out of my truck and more. I'd buy another one.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a smaller dealer brand around here, mostly at lawn equipment places.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe my NH was built by them it is a boomer TC33 I've had for 15 years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top