Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2020 12:08:40 AM EDT
I don't like having to tie my 7 inch blade knife sheath to my leg. If I don't, then it flops around when I am moving.  I've been surfing the web and it seems that just about all sheaths are set up to carry the pommel just below the belt line. I resewed a cheap sheath's belt loop to put the pommel about 2 inches above the top of the belt. It works just right and it's easy to draw. Where can I get a decent one already made like that?

RS
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 12:29:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Kydex or leather?  You can make it yourself (leather and Kydex are both fun hobbies), there are companies out there that make various sheaths for common knives, check Etsy or ebay, check the blade forum here https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Blades/4/ or a forum dedicated to cutting tools https://www.bladeforums.com/, etc.  

I know you said you don't like it flopping around, but a dangler style is popular for a lot of knives; some even like them for larger knives like Bowies.  I like them for smaller knives like Moras and Puukkos.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 7:42:12 AM EDT
[#2]
What knife is it for?
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I suggest that OP does some research using the search term Bill Bagwell.  Be prepared to go down the YouTube trail on knife-fighting scabbards and so forth.

During the hey-day of knife-fighting, the experienced knife-fighter usually had his primary blade set up as a custom-made IWB scabbard, with the handle of the knife being hidden, but instantly available. Usually cross-draw, but accessible to the off-hand, if need be.  Go look at the many vids on the subject, please.

That technique was suitable for the occasion back then.  Depending on one's current needs, perhaps it might need to be modified.  If so, then take care in making your rig, and remember that the old-timers set things up for them, and for good reason.  Just remember that these old-timers were NOT stupid, and they set up their rigs up to suit them back then.  If deviating from time-proven principles, have a good reason for doing so, and practice/experiment with it to make sure it will work effectively.

I thnk that Bowie knives and other fighting knives were a literally a product of their environment, and also the times.

Back then, there were very few revolvers, and the single-shot pistols, being flintlocks, were bulky and hard to conceal/draw.  Also, any firearm was inherently subject to mis-fires, particularly in humid climates, such as on riverboats and along the Missip river.  The knife had none of these drawbacks, so it held sway for a brief period in time.

FWIW, and IMHO, the "Fightin' Knife" is a bit of an anachronism, nowadays.  I seldom advocate carrying a fixed blade much larger than the Cold Steel SRK, or a GI bayonet; Not that either is the epitome of knives, but they serve well in their own sphere.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 10:14:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess I need to add some information. I only carry a fixed blade near the house or in the backcountry as part of my (battle) equipment belt.  I carry a folder as part of my EDC. The low thigh carry position sheaths are basically a knife in a drop leg holster. I never figured those out either.

RS
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 4:59:52 AM EDT
[#5]
There are a host of excellent aftermarket sheath makers that will make a high ride sheath.  Actually, a basic pancake sheath with holes to accommodate a Tek-Lok belt clip is your simplest and easiest means to get a high ride sheath.  

This is how I've carried a Mad Dog Pygmy ATAK for several years on active duty and it rode quite comfortably.  The only issue is when having a fixed blade on my battle belt and wearing in conjunction with a plate carrier, the higher riding knife made it problematic.  I ended up with smaller fixed blades, or just a stout folder and sheath to keep a lower profile.  For battle belt use, I've tried to stay with knives with blades under 5-5.5", the latest minimalist belt is hosting an ESEE 4 which is about perfect.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been contemplating ordering one of the brown kydex holster kits. However, I modified my M9 knockoff sheath and plan to test it tomorrow on a 5.4 mile hike. On public land in SC, we can't carry firearms outside of hunting season. That's why I like a knife with a 7 inch blade for the backcountry.  During hunting season, I prefer a folder since using a knife for defense is less likely when carrying a rifle.

RS
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Why not find a custom leather worker and have him make you something.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:21:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I like doing things myself. Besides, the kits are cheap and the tools needed are not expensive. I take it you are referring to a leather sheath?
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 7:05:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I like doing things myself. Besides, the kits are cheap and the tools needed are not expensive. I take it you are referring to a leather sheath?

I've found Kydex easier to access and re-sheath a knife.  Leather is still excellent (especially if heavily waxed) and is quieter, but I often need to visually see and often use two hands to re-sheath the knife.  Plus, when in a hurry, if the Kydex sheath is form-fitted well, you don't need secondary retention if pressed and you get an audible "click" that it's secure.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:12:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Ended up with a Gerber Strongarm and customized the sheath.

RS
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By radioshooter:
Ended up with a Gerber Strongarm and customized the sheath.

RS
View Quote

Good choice, OP!

For the money the Strongarm is a great knife. I beat the hell out of my first one I got when they came out. Liked it enough that I bought a few more due to the price. I liked Gerber years ago until they went to cheap, Chicom garbage (FUCK China!) but the Strongarm kinda redeemed my feelings on Gerber. It's also American made. The sheath is really cool.

Now, is it as good as my ESEE 4 or Tops BOB? No, they are superior in most ways but the 420HC steel has held up and kept an OK edge, plus the sheath is actually one of the better features of any sheath out there. Frankly I think that's the best part.

By the way, speaking of sheaths, the Strongarm and Tops BOB both fit nicely in the sheath that comes with the Becker BK16. On my battlebelt, I attached the BK16 sheath and then can switch knives out. Becker sells the sheath separate from the knife. I don't own the knife, just the sheath. ETA: Pics

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice!  If I needed another blade, the Strongarm would be on the short list.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I guess I need to add some information. I only carry a fixed blade near the house or in the backcountry as part of my (battle) equipment belt.  I carry a folder as part of my EDC. The low thigh carry position sheaths are basically a knife in a drop leg holster. I never figured those out either.

RS
View Quote
Those sheaths are great because they make it easier when you are doing chores because it is easier to take-out and put back in. They're also nice because a dangler style sheath allows the knife to fall out of the way when you sit down instead of digging into things. It's all personal preference which is formed by your wants and needs. Those horizontal SOB sheaths seem completely idiotic to me because they look like a PITA to put the knife back, and how long will it take you to notice the sheath is empty because you left it behind on accident or it got loose and fell out?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top