Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2021 7:32:00 PM EDT
Anyone try it? Is it worth stocking up on?
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 10:17:20 PM EDT
[#2]
While we can most of our own meats, The keystone stuff is absolutely a solid choice if buying canned meats. Over rice, or mashed potatoes.. base for a stew or spiced and used in tacos.. etc etc.  darn good.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 11:50:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Good stuff, tastes fine.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:10:19 AM EDT
[#4]
no, it is already to hard to find.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:54:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Taste fine. I thought it was a little dry without gravy.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 7:57:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I've had the beef and chicken.  They're both REALLY good to go.  Two ingredients, meat and salt.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies. I ordered three cases of beef and pork. I already have a bunch of Hormel chicken so, I'm set there. It will be nice to add this to my preps.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 12:40:50 AM EDT
[#8]
How long is the shelf life?
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 8:16:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies. I ordered three cases of beef and pork. I already have a bunch of Hormel chicken so, I'm set there. It will be nice to add this to my preps.
View Quote

Just curious... where did you find it to be able to order by the case?  I've only found it by the can or at most three at a time.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 8:38:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Cans are stamped 10/26. I'd imagine they are good for much longer though.
Quoted:

Just curious... where did you find it to be able to order by the case?  I've only found it by the can or at most three at a time.
https://keystonemeats.com/
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Duhhhh on my part.  I've only ever found KS on Walmart and Amazon.  Never thought to check for a proprietary website.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Just bought another case of the ground beef. They have been out of it for awhile. Thanks for bring this back up.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:07:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Glad to help. It's nice knowing I have 72 cans of delicious meat on top of all of our other preps. Bring on hurricane season!!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:18:12 AM EDT
[#15]

It's good stuff, I order from Walmart.com for Free shipping
Wal-Mart Keystone
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:21:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/P6cUFM6l.jpg

It's good stuff, I order from Walmart.com for Free shipping
Wal-Mart Keystone
View Quote

Have you experienced any problems with dented cans ordering via Walmart?  It's cheaper (AND free shipping) but I've read reviews mentioning some dented cans fairly often because they put them in a box that has too much room in it and the cans are all over the place while in transit.  Someone mentioned that one way to avoid that is to order full 12-can cases direct from Keystone
@PA-Minuteman
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 11:03:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Have you experienced any problems with dented cans ordering via Walmart?  It's cheaper (AND free shipping) but I've read reviews mentioning some dented cans fairly often because they put them in a box that has too much room in it and the cans are all over the place while in transit.  Someone mentioned that one way to avoid that is to order full 12-can cases direct from Keystone
@PA-Minuteman
View Quote
Yes I have, the ones in the front are dented (Pork & Turkey)

There is some in the racks that have a very small ding but nothing bad enough I would be concern with.

Also TBH I found it better to order small lots then large amounts. I ordered 9 turkey and 4 were badly dented (ate them anyway)

I would feel 100% confentdent ordering from Walmart
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

@PA-Minuteman
View Quote

I ordered a bunch of the 28oz cans of beef and a few of pork from Walmart and they all came in good shape. YMMV I've used walmart.com over the past year quite extensively and had other stuff come beat to hell but these were consistently in good shape.

Unfortunately it seems like the past month or two its never in stock anymore whereas before I was ordering the limit of 2 cans per order regularly
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Pa minuteman....what rack is that ?
are they available ?
thanks
mike
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 11:14:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Pa minuteman....what rack is that ?
are they available ?
thanks
mike
View Quote
@mbty22
Cansolidator Racks
There the Cansolidator racks, pricey but they are very well made and hold quite a bit. Also very easy to customize to whatever can size you want.

I need to order another row to finish my shelf but here is a pic of my shelf (sorry for the bad lighting)

Edit: Or do you mean the shelf itself? If so it's a Edsal 72' Muscle Rack I got at Lowe's, USA made
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 9:01:34 AM EDT
[#21]
hi,
thanks for the link !  I was looking at thrive lifes bigger Pantry can system but i never see it in stock. I will go the way you did ...I kinda like the ability to customize.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Significantly dented Keystone cans make up about 33% of my orders from Amazon or Walmart. I kinda gave up on those sources because of it after making a little stash. I thought ordering a case like quantity in combination of the 2 can limit could help, no joy on that. Positive part got to eat a bunch of it, good quality stuff and easy meal prep.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Significantly dented Keystone cans make up about 33% of my orders from Amazon or Walmart. I kinda gave up on those sources because of it after making a little stash. I thought ordering a case like quantity in combination of the 2 can limit could help, no joy on that. Positive part got to eat a bunch of it, good quality stuff and easy meal prep.
View Quote

Of the three cases I ordered direct from Keystone, zero dents or any damage of any kind.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#24]
You guys are awesome!!!

Threads like this make me feel so inadequate!!

Doc
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:49:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Of the three cases I ordered direct from Keystone, zero dents or any damage of any kind.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I concur as well...order direct from Keystone and pay the shipping.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 2:09:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Got my case of hamburger from Keystone last night. Double lined box, no dents. Ordered a case of pork today.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Got my case of hamburger from Keystone last night. Double lined box, no dents. Ordered a case of pork today.
View Quote
They do a great job double boxing that stuff that's for sure.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#29]
i ordered 6 cans from walmart.com 4 of them were so badly dented i sent them back....ordered 3 cases direct from Keystone.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Just received 4 cases, beef(2), ground, chicken, all 14.5oz since there is just the 2 of us. 96 cans total, not a single dented or damaged can. Their boxing is top notch.

Ordered on Monday, arrived on Thursday. Now to set up one of the rotators for this size.

Have room at the top.. have to go in the shed for tracks..

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:38:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 1:33:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Keystone meats are good.

Has anyone tried the canned meats from Costco or Sams?  Like the Roast Beef, Chicken or larger tuna cans?   I've eaten plenty of expired tuna and canned chicken.  Not really any degradation in tasted, even 2 years after expiration.  

I think the key is to work them into your regular rotation of food - the can rotation system are super for this.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 8:48:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just received 4 cases, beef(2), ground, chicken, all 14.5oz since there is just the 2 of us. 96 cans total, not a single dented or damaged can. Their boxing is top notch.

Ordered on Monday, arrived on Thursday. Now to set up one of the rotators for this size.

Have room at the top.. have to go in the shed for tracks..

https://i.postimg.cc/MG2gwJ1z/20130221-161343-zps2e1a7b7b.jpg
View Quote
Nice rack! Got a link to where I can buy it?
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:53:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Nice rack! Got a link to where I can buy it?
View Quote

I bought them (we have 3) From here:
https://www.thrivelife.com/all-products/shelving.html

About a decade ago. I don't know, at this juncture, if anyone has them in stock. The world is crazy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Their beef and pork are quite decent. You'd probably spend more if you can yourself and their beef quality is much better than what's available in our local stores.
I bought their canned ground beef but couldn't eat it. It has VERY STRONG metallic taste and smell, most likely from the can itself. I wouldn't even give any to my dog.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 1:08:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Their beef and pork are quite decent. You'd probably spend more if you can yourself and their beef quality is much better than what's available in our local stores.
I bought their canned ground beef but couldn't eat it. It has VERY STRONG metallic taste and smell, most likely from the can itself. I wouldn't even give any to my dog.
View Quote
Same

Is there anyway to get rid of the metal taste??
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Same

Is there anyway to get rid of the metal taste??
View Quote

I'd eat it if I were dying from starvation but not now. it's just not worth it.

Honestly, I've had good luck with canning meat at home, with glass Mason jars. It tastes 10x better than anything from Keystone (and alike). I use 70% lean beef and 30% pork (with some fat - important for best taste). Also add about 1.5% of freshly sliced onions (by weight), about 4- 5 black peppercorn bulbs, salt and a small bay leaf (or half of a large one). Obviously canning is done in a pressure canner.
Sometimes I only put half a can of meat and same spices as above. The other half is filled with pre-soaked buckwheat. Buckwheat sold in grocery stores is nasty. Don't buy it. Get it from a European store or online(expensive). It's at least 3 times cheaper in a store.

BTW, I buy and store a lot of buckwheat. It's much healthier than rice and naturally gluten free. Personally, I like the taste better than rice. It's goes great with meat and gravy or can be eaten with milk (cooked first). Cook it the same way as rice. Rinse before cooking. I store it in one gallon mylar bags with oxygen absorbers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top