Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2022 3:45:27 PM EDT
If you are considering Kerosene for back up heat it is a good choice for short term but there is a volume issue.

A good working tower heater, like my really nice Toyoset Omni-230, will use approximately 0.18 gallons per hour.

4.32 gallons per 24 hours of run time

30.24 gallons per week

129.6 gallons per month

Current local price is $6 a gallon

I know a lot of people who have kerosene heaters who really don't realize how much they consume.

We live where it gets cold for long periods of time. Running a k1 heater for 30 days has never happened but it could. Part of being prepared.

My furnace went out last week and we were blessed with very good weather. We still used 6 to 8 gallons. We warmed up the house in the morning and spot heated with electric. Obviously i am not dependent on the electric part.

I just want folks to consider how long they might want to prep for and how much to keep on hand.

Store the k1 where it's not in the light and sealed tightly. I use steel and plastic barrels in my garage. It is a safe fuel to store. It will last a long time.

Link Posted: 10/31/2022 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a similar discussion with a local off-the-grid person. They ONLY have a wood stove for heat; no backup. I mentioned the whole two is one, one is none perspective (glass on the stove cracks, pipe fails, etc.).

"Well, I can just go to menards and get a space heater."

I got out of that conversation promptly. They have solar only. No way it's going to run an electric space heater non-stop. And if there's a localized disaster or shortage, they're not going to just go buy a heater and fuel.

But hey, not my problem. Enjoy living your fake self-sufficient life.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Get some electric radiant heaters. The only reason I'd run my K1 heater is if the power was off and I didn't want to run my generator.

Kerosene is my back up to my back up.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 4:37:34 PM EDT
[#3]
The current price for bulk delivery is over $ 7.00 a gallon where I live in PA.  Two months ago when we bought, it was $ 5.00 and I thought that was high.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Getting generator hookup installed this week. Backup is kero heater and wood burning fireplace.

Good news for kero users is that it stores fantastically well.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#5]
and for the new members of the forum that are not familiar with Miles Stair

http://www.milesstair.com/kero_heaters.html
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Kero Sun Omni 105 kerosene heater.  I keep it out in the well shack, which is 80' from the house.  

When the temperatures drop down below zero invariably the heat lamp bulb shining on the pressure tank or the heat trace on the well piping will go down and I'll lose water while in the shower, so I 'll trudge through the snow and light up the kerosene heater to thaw out the well shack.

I always have 10 gallons on hand.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 7:29:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I think kerosene heaters are a good backup. I've always found it humorous when people use kerosene to "save money".  In most places, kerosene is more expensive to run than electric resistance heating.  

I keep a kerosene heater stashed in my shop but I can heat my house with electricity, propane, and wood.  The kerosene heater will almost certainly never be used.  For those who don't have that many options, kerosene is a great backup heat source.  But, you better plan for a lot more kerosene than you think you might need.  

Mine is the typical tower type 23k btu heater.  I think a couple smaller tower type heaters are even better.  You can run one when needed for a smaller area and two for a larger area as needed.  

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200664975_200664975

I think something like this heater below would also make a lot of sense and heat with less moisture and odor but you would need a 12v power source.  Leave the heater outside and run the hoses inside through a window.

https://www.amazon.com/Happybuy-Muffler-Parking-Control-Motor-Home/dp/B081DXVHD9
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get some electric radiant heaters. The only reason I'd run my K1 heater is if the power was off and I didn't want to run my generator.

Kerosene is my back up to my back up.
View Quote

The only reason I'd run K1 is if my furnace is out or power is out. I plan for no power.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the kerosene radiant heaters over the convection "tower" heaters. I had a pair for the 2021 cold blast in N TX without power and they saved my ass. They do use about 1 gallon per 12hr each but red dye K1 is 3.65/gallon here and ive got close to 100 gallons.

Its not more economical than my natural gas heater but when the powers out and its -4 outside with a TX insulated house, its lots cheaper than recovery from burst pipes.

Edit - This is the radiant heater I use, miles stair has good articles on why smaller radiant works better than larger convection heaters. Replace the wick, disable the tank shutoff and true up the face of the globe mount to the tank. Takes maybe 20-30 mins all in and they run wonderfully.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KS9HCA?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#10]
And because this is a PSA on kerosene heaters. Have spare wicks and know how to change them.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
And because this is a PSA on kerosene heaters. Have spare wicks and know how to change them.
View Quote

And be sure they're good wicks. There are kerosene enthusiast websites that have all the info.

I've got a little 10k BTU kerosene heater that I'm really impressed with. Seeing that thing glowing orange and putting out constant heat is pretty cool. I think it has a 1.1 gallon tank which around here is good for pretty much a whole day (not 24hrs, but one day of actual use which is not 24hrs).

It's been a while since I've used it. I should change the wick and get it ready for winter just in case the power goes out.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 3:34:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Used to pay $55 for a five gallon can of K1. Stopped at store the other day and they now want just over $100. No thanks. Cheapest I could find was $32 for a two gallon jug.

This is for my detached garage workshop. I switched to a 30,000 BTU, indoor rated propane heater.

If I need to fire off kerosene heater on especially cold day when I'm doing something in shop, I'll just use diesel/K1 mix.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Back in the late 90's, some friends and I stayed at a camp owned by one of the guy's parents. It wasn't insulated and there was no provision for heat. We used a kerosene heater the whole winter. I don't remember the costs, but I do remember waking up every morning and blowing my nose to find black soot in it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I've considered calling up the local fuel distributor and seeing how much a 50 gallon drum would be.   I should do that.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Back in the late 90's, some friends and I stayed at a camp owned by one of the guy's parents. It wasn't insulated and there was no provision for heat. We used a kerosene heater the whole winter. I don't remember the costs, but I do remember waking up every morning and blowing my nose to find black soot in it.
View Quote

A properly running k1 heat does nothing of the sort.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:35:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The current price for bulk delivery is over $ 7.00 a gallon where I live in PA.  Two months ago when we bought, it was $ 5.00 and I thought that was high.
View Quote
home heating oil/off road diesel is $5.50 today.  delivery is a 200 gallon minimum.

Dyed Kero is $6.35 or so.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Kerosene is my primary go-to for backup heat.
I don't have to keep my house at 72 degrees during the winter, I simply need to keep it warm enough to keep the pipes from freezing. There's a lot of room between those two points for me to be in. a house in the fifty-some degree range is plenty warm with the right clothes and bedding.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 2:25:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Kerosene is my primary go-to for backup heat.
I don't have to keep my house at 72 degrees during the winter, I simply need to keep it warm enough to keep the pipes from freezing. There's a lot of room between those two points for me to be in. a house in the fifty-some degree range is plenty warm with the right clothes and bedding.
View Quote

This is my attitude as well.

Link Posted: 11/4/2022 9:08:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I would hate to try and burn kerosene 24/7; that's a lot of fuel and expensive. I mostly do wood for backup, but down in the southeast, kero-heaters are pretty convenient. I'll use them only for a few weeks and mostly during the week for an hour or two at night and an hour or so in the morning. It's just easier to use during the week and use wood on the weekends.

I only keep about 20-25 gallons on hand and I need to pick up an extra 10 gallons or so as I'm expecting a cooler winter season down here in GA.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 9:15:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Used to pay $55 for a five gallon can of K1. Stopped at store the other day and they now want just over $100. No thanks. Cheapest I could find was $32 for a two gallon jug.

This is for my detached garage workshop. I switched to a 30,000 BTU, indoor rated propane heater.

If I need to fire off kerosene heater on especially cold day when I'm doing something in shop, I'll just use diesel/K1 mix.
View Quote

K1 is available at the pump at a few stations within 20 miles of me.  You have to look for it, and I assume in UT you might have to travel.

It was $5 or $6 /gal last year.  Haven't looked recently.

A full 23k Kero tower saved my bacon a few years back when my furnace shit the bed.  It got down to -15f that night.

It sure isn't a good long term solution though.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a kerosene heater and about 20 gallons of fuel for it.  It's for backup in case of power outage.  I've used it one time in the last 15 years.  It's there if I ever need it though.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 9:28:33 AM EDT
[#22]
$7.99 here in central NC.  May be cheaper at one of the nearest big gas stations but I haven't looked.
It is my backup only. My house has an open floor plan which is not very conducive for efficient heating.  My original upstairs heat pump was a dog and I simply turned it off when it dropped below freezing and pulled out the kerosene heater.  I've since replaced with a newer model which will provide some heat at and a few degrees below freezing.

Years ago I filled up several 50 gal barrels with kerosene.  It is the highest BTU vs other fuels but it sure does take up a lot of space.  It is truly a bad winter if I need to exclusively rely on it for heating.  With two heaters running I would need 400-500 gallons to get through a winter.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I just made a thread on the Sengoku or-77. It's a smaller heater so less than 50% of the fuel consumption of a tower heater. It's a reasonable solution for smaller houses in warmer climates.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 10:44:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone storing kerosene familiar with this product?

https://theepicenter.com/pri-d-diesel-fuel-treatment-pint.html

Supposed to be beneficial for storing kerosene.  

Skeptical about the claims of "restoring" older fuel.

Anyone use it or hear anything about it?

Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top