Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2022 1:26:19 PM EDT
Thanks for looking

I have kerosene heater that I use in cold weather to protect some pluming that is at risk of freezing in the garage.

Kerosene is not popular here so it is not stocked abundantly.  What is available is relatively expensive and store staff gets their karen on when I do try to buy some.

Anyone ever use cooking oil in a wick type kerosene heater?

Happy Thanksgiving

Link Posted: 11/9/2022 1:51:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Might try a regional airport and see if they will sell you some Jet-A without anti icing added. I tried the McKinney regional airport and they refused to sell it or dispense Jet-A for anyone other than airplane owner and directly into the aircraft. Refused to fill a drum even if I showed up with a plane owner and a plane. They even went so far as to threaten to report me to DHS for attempting to buy it when not owning a plane.

Others have reported no issues at more rural TX airports away from big cities.

Check the rural gas stations, theres a Valero in Sherman that sells red dye kerosene cheap but the pump is locked, have to get the attendent to unlock it, and they only want you to buy max of 15-20 gallons and will observe you while pumping to make sure its not going into your fuel tank. Its actually quite easy and laid back, just some processes they go through the motions on.

Link Posted: 11/9/2022 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Propane
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#3]
your local farm & ranch coop likely sells kerosene at the pump.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#4]
You could buy diesel fuel.  Not sure how that price compares with road taxes, etc.  Prol what the red dyed kerosine is.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Talk to your local oil sales company about kensol-30. It should be around $7 a gallon in 55 gallon drums. I've bought 5 gallon buckets before. No idea on the price now.

Crazy clean burning. No smell. Excellent in heaters and oil lamps.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 9:57:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Get in contact with a fuel supplier and ask about buying an entire drum. Tgey should be able to get it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:39:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Cooking oil will not work.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I think winter diesel has a greater percentage of kerosene in it, jet a is kerosene with deicer.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 12:58:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Will Soltrol 130 work I think it’s flash point is about 140
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 1:05:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Diesel, preferably tax free diesel
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 1:07:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I live in a pretty remote area. Small town but we've got at least one gas station that sells kerosene at the pump. When I've used a small kerosene heater I just brought a 5 gallon can and filled it.

Have you put much effort into finding it from a pump like this? I just feel like if my small town has it, it can't be that rare right? The gas station is owned by the same company that does local fuel deliveries.

I just wish we had e85 here.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 1:19:46 AM EDT
[#12]
A co-op in SW CO has a kero pump right next to the on-road diesel pump. Same price as the diesel; $5.29 per gal.

Look for farm co-ops in your area with a kero pump.

I pulled in last week with half a tank of diesel from OK. I pumped 2 gals of kero into 18-20 gals of diesel rather than adding an anti-gel additive.

The refineries adjust the distillation cut point for diesel when the winter pour point specs kicks in. That just drops more kero into the distillate stream in the fractionation tower. Once a diesel tank is full in the refinery, it is sent to the lab for final testing. If the pour point doesn’t meet the winter spec, they either add more kero or a pour point depressant (PPD).

It’s not rocket science.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 2:20:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Might try a regional airport and see if they will sell you some Jet-A without anti icing added. I tried the McKinney regional airport and they refused to sell it or dispense Jet-A for anyone other than airplane owner and directly into the aircraft. Refused to fill a drum even if I showed up with a plane owner and a plane. They even went so far as to threaten to report me to DHS for attempting to buy it when not owning a plane.
View Quote
You encountered major assholes on a power trip.   Go to most any small airport with 5000 foot + runway and, if they have jets landing there, you can buy 100LL or jet all you want.   I've done it many times, never a hint of an issue.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 2:26:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for looking

I have kerosene heater that I use in cold weather to protect some pluming that is at risk of freezing in the garage.

Kerosene is not popular here so it is not stocked abundantly.  What is available is relatively expensive and store staff gets their karen on when I do try to buy some.

Anyone ever use cooking oil in a wick type kerosene heater?

Happy Thanksgiving

View Quote
no cooking oil
I don't know what it's like in Texas, but in the northeast, most any fuel oil company selling heating oil also sells kerosene.   Usually 100 gallon minimum for delivery, but if you go to their office with a can or drum, no issue.
Some gas stations will have a off-road diesel and/or a kerosene pump.
I think some chains like Running or Tractor Supply may sell it in little gallon cans, but the price per gallon is nuts.
Or, as I replied on another post, just go to any small airport that's large enough for regional or private jets to land there and fill your can with jet fuel.
You can check what an airport carries for fuel here:
AIRNAV site
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 2:29:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I had a house with a basement garage in Ohio. Main water line came in next to the garage door against the outer wall.
When temps dropped and nobody was home using water a day or more it would freeze. Pipes were insulated.
Used 2 of those oil radiant heaters with thermostats.
They were enough to warm the whole area up.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 11:06:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You encountered major assholes on a power trip.   Go to most any small airport with 5000 foot + runway and, if they have jets landing there, you can buy 100LL or jet all you want.   I've done it many times, never a hint of an issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just call the airport first.  Some will allow it and some won't.  Some might ask you to come at a certain time of day.  Most places don't care, but they don't like it to be advertised that they're allowing it.  Most of the pumps are self-serve now, requiring a credit card and a tail number.  The tail number is because either the FAA or the EPA says that the fuel can only be used in airplanes.

ETA: As for "major asshole on a power trip", that's not necessarily true.  I'm good friends with all the people at one local airport, but their policy won't allow me to buy gas.  They say it's because of the agreement they have with their supplier.  Whatever.  Their airport, their rules.  They don't want to lose the deal they have, or they see some liability they don't want, and I can understand that.  It's an airport, not a gas station.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 6:19:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all the help everyone.

I was able to get some kerosene at tractor supply a county over.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#18]
#1 winter grade diesel will work well. Only I have trouble finding #1 in Texas even thru the winter months. Even with my farm exempt status, it is expensive. I'm sure most dyed kerosene and # 1 diesel are the same product.
Petroleum dealers where I live don't seem to understand winter grade diesel. Hope I never fill my Kenworth tanks and head for Chicago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top