Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2018 10:54:50 AM EDT
Title pretty much says it all. May be in the market soon for an upgrade.
Sherwood and  QST Magazine Product Reviews seem to favor the Kenwood but the Yaesu is newer tecnology and the test data may be dated and we all know that selection has more to do with real world and usually goes beyond test data.
What say ye; Kenwood TS590SG or Yaesu FTDX3000?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Take the Sherwood "tests" with a grain of salt. It's like making a decision to purchase a new car based on 0-60 MPH acceleration time only. Say, you test a car with crappy noisy interior, no power steering and terrible suspension but it does 0-60 MPH in 5.1 seconds. Second car has a luxury interior, comfortable seats, navigation and lots of other great features. It drives and handles great BUT......... it does 0-60 in only 5.6 seconds! According to the Sherwood tests (if they tested cars, for example), the first car is better because it can do 0-60 MPH faster by 0.5 seconds! Nothing else matters.

I've tested many radios side by side before I chose my primary HF rig. FTDX3000 has a far superior receiver than TS-590. The Yaesu's RX is A LOT QUIETER and has a much better performing DSP. Obviously I chose a Yaesu FTDX-3000d and never looked back. Back then I paid $2,300 for it. Now you can steal one for under $1,500. Either way, a new FTDX3000 would be considered an upgrade from a TS-590sg.

Noise reduction in the Yaesu a lot better. The Kenwood's receiver, with the DSP NR engaged, sounds like it's under water. This alone was a major turn off for me. Also, you get a color display with a bandscope on the Yaesu.
You can add a $100 SDRPlay to the FTDX3000 and you get a high resolution band-scope on a large PC monitor. No additional switches nor relays are required. Simply connect the antenna coax from the SDRPlay to the factory installed RX Out connector on the back of the radio, made for this purpose. It won't damage the SDRPlay when transmitting. Very nice feature.
If you like CW contesting, the FTDX3000 also comes with a small key pad. Messages can be recorded into memory and played back by pressing a corresponding key on the pad. Very convenient. I love this feature.
The choice to buy a FTDX3000 was a no brainer for me. TS-590 was on the bottom of my rig selection list. If FTDX3000 was not available, I would rather get a new IC-7300 than the Kenwood. The Icom costs less, has a much better receiver and it comes equipped with lots of nice features.
This is my opinion and I'm sticking with it
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I had been a Kenwood fan since the '70's.  But three years ago my son got an FTDX3000 and I played with it and liked it.  I bought one also.  I use it on all bands and modes.  I'd go with the FTDX3000.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 3:45:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I LOVE my 590

it’s wonderful

if it was lost, I’d run out and buy another

such a joy to operate

it’s the perfect luxury car for me

Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:57:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you considered the IC7300?
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
YesQuoted:
Have you considered the IC7300?
View Quote
Yes, that's where i started but, a fellow ham turned me on to the 3000 in particular as being more radio, equal or better receive and multiple antenna connections.  It was originally a $3,000 radio now priced a little less than half that now. Some don't like the menu system on the 7300 and prefer more knobs. I'm more concerned about the best tx/rx performance for the buck. The 590 is supposed to have a great receiver but the design is somewhat older. I have a 7200 now but want to step up for a base station and use the 7200 for portable use. The waterfall is nice on the 7300 but, I have an SDRplay RSP1a receiver to handle that.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 8:48:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Just saw Miamisburg, OH on that old Drake meter. I didn't realize that's where they had been. Is that how the Dayton hamvention started?
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:13:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, that's where i started but, a fellow ham turned me on to the 3000 in particular as being more radio, equal or better receive and multiple antenna connections.  It was originally a $3,000 radio now priced a little less than half that now. Some don't like the menu system on the 7300 and prefer more knobs. I'm more concerned about the best tx/rx performance for the buck. The 590 is supposed to have a great receiver but the design is somewhat older. I have a 7200 now but want to step up for a base station and use the 7200 for portable use. The waterfall is nice on the 7300 but, I have an SDRplay RSP1a receiver to handle that.
View Quote
You'll love the 3000. It's far superior than the 590, especially the receiver performance. Once you get used to the quiet RX on the 3000, it will be hard to switch to a 590. Honestly, I'd rather get a new 7300 than a 590, even if the 590 was much cheaper. Of course, it's just my opinion. Your priorities may differ.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 2:21:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Tough choice, both are nice rigs and last I saw, both are within a hundred bucks or so, with the rebate figured in.

Been casually shopping around for a new Hf rig for a couple years.  Always figured I’d end up with a 590.  Used it at several field days and really liked it plus I had always pretty much been a Kenwood guy.  In the end though, I read enough good stuff about the 3000 that I ended up getting one and have been really happy with it.

The 7300 was on my list too..great rig also but I also kind of prefer knobs over menus and touchscreens.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Having had the TS-590S, and used the 3000,  I would buy the FTDX-3000.

The receiver is better in my small opinion.
I do own an IC-7300, and think the FT-3000 is better than that one as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top