Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2022 10:27:08 PM EDT
What started out as a nice weekend has turned into a fucking disaster.

My Kenwood TS-2000 has been confirmed that it is fucked up. It does not transmit on 2meters and there is a noise and smell coming from the back of the receiver. Have any of you folks with Kenwood radios sent in it back to the Kenwood factory for service?

I do not have the tech capabilities to fix it myself and I don't know anyone that can other than sending it back to the facility.

FML, Kenwood no longer makes a TS 2000 so most likely I'm going to have to buy something else.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:44:29 PM EDT
[#1]
several years ago, I sent my TS-590 in for a voluntary update to fix the ALC overshoot trouble.

Mine worked fine with my amp, and I never had any trouble, but I sent it anyway.

They took good care of me, got it back promptly and double boxed it.

Tag for your outcome.

I still have the TS-590, and LOVE IT

Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:17:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

several years ago, I sent my TS-590 in for a voluntary update to fix the ALC overshoot trouble.

Mine worked fine with my amp, and I never had any trouble, but I sent it anyway.

They took good care of me, got it back promptly and double boxed it.

Tag for your outcome.

I still have the TS-590, and LOVE IT

View Quote

Thanks,

Did you email them or contact the Compton, CA office?  Any pre-paper/forms had to be filled out prior to sending it out? I am afraid that since my TS-2000 is 20 years old they will not have parts. I plan on contacting them on Monday. Hopefully they can fix it for a reasonable charge.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:29:22 AM EDT
[#3]
This should get you started.

Kenwood Amateur Radio Support Link

FYI service/repair is slow...very slow.  Kenwood handles repairs through a third party.  Internet chatter about Kenwood repairs have been mixed and parts availability for discontinued products is an issue.

See the link below.

Kenwood National Service Centers
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 7:17:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Made a response in other thread.
Shipping and diagnosis will likely cost more than a new/ used rig, before repair.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Made a response in other thread.
Shipping and diagnosis will likely cost more than a new/ used rig, before repair.
View Quote

How much would shipping and a diagnosis cost? A new radio with the same features as the TS-2000 will cost close to $2000.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

How much would shipping and a diagnosis cost? A new radio with the same features as the TS-2000 will cost close to $2000.
View Quote

Do you have the box, and related packaging? Weight and size plus insurance both ways is expensive, over 100.00, possibly close to 200.00 if you have to find a box and secure packaging.
You can probably get a quote from them on a simple diagnostic check, x number of time for x number of dollars. Parts will be a factor most likely.
Check for radio/electronics repair in your area. You never know, there might be a shop nearby that would have parts sitting around in a parts room that has existed for 40 years. Get references if you find one.
Edit: This is why I shy away from buying an "all band, all mode" transceiver. One band goes tits up, and you lose everything while it is getting repaired.
There are various components for that radio listed on ebay under ts-2000 kenwood. Unplug it, take the cover off, and see if you can spot anything that looks burned, or if the top has come off one of the can looking things. The top will look different on one sometimes.
How old is the radio? Are you willing to pay again if something breaks in another place in 2 months? Maybe it is time to replace it, and sell it for parts only. The Icom 7300 is an incredible radio for the price. I'm sure there will be specials during the upcoming hamfest in OH.
Sorry for the long post, but it may be best to get a new radio.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:05:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
For some reason I thought this was a simple vhf/ uhf radio, not an all band all mode shack in a box!
According to eham its still in production (not sure if true).

Shipping will be anywhere from $60-$150 (purely a guess on my part).

Most places would charge an hour of shop time at least to diagnose? So when I thought it was a vhf/uhf rig, replacing it with a used working dual bander ~$300-$400 wasn't bad.

You are likely right that finding the parts will be the likely biggest issue once you find someone to service it. If its only dead on 2m and/ or 440, maybe you will be lucky and it will be a discrete component vs replacing a board.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's some repair shops and reviews.

https://www.eham.net/reviews/view-category?id=26

I just remembered, many years ago, I sent this shop my TS-50, this guy was excellent,  but it looks like he's retired now.

https://www.eham.net/reviews/view-product?id=2003

Burghardt

http://www.burghardt-amateur.com/
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone familiar with Paul Jahnke. He works on Kenwoods. Wondering if anyone has used his services.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:08:58 PM EDT
[#10]
If AVVid sent all his manuals to Jahnke, then I would not hesitate to use him at all. I have a TS-430S that I got new, and Cliff kept it going when I had troubles a couple of times.

Come to think of it now, I think it might be time for a new radio.  I suppose the tech has come a ways in the last 40 years eh? Getting to the point where it is not worth to fix anymore.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#11]
It's Monday

What did Kenwood say ?

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:11:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Anyone familiar with Paul Jahnke. He works on Kenwoods. Wondering if anyone has used his services.
View Quote

really good Jahnke reviews

https://www.eham.net/reviews/view-product?id=11837&page=1&per-page=10
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 5:37:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's Monday

What did Kenwood say ?

View Quote

When I called Kenwood's amateur radio tech line Menu 4, Option 1, They do not answer any calls. Everything rolls over to voicemail. I left them a message and also sent them an email. It seems like Kenwood doesn't want my money. I then contacted Paul and he quickly responded, gave me a call and said please send it to us we'll take a look at it.

Until Paul puts it on the bench we won't know what's going on but they do work on TS 2000s and I'm hopeful that they can troubleshoot and resolve my issue. I just hate spending money on a new radio when the TS 2000 such a beautiful rig. It might be old and heavy but she still my baby.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 6:04:10 PM EDT
[#14]
i get it

even though i have a brand new Yaesu FTDX10, I still Love my TS-590

it’s like an old trusty hunting rifle

hopefully it will be repaired and back soon

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

When I called Kenwood's amateur radio tech line Menu 4, Option 1, They do not answer any calls. Everything rolls over to voicemail. I left them a message and also sent them an email. It seems like Kenwood doesn't want my money. I then contacted Paul and he quickly responded, gave me a call and said please send it to us we'll take a look at it.

Until Paul puts it on the bench we won't know what's going on but they do work on TS 2000s and I'm hopeful that they can troubleshoot and resolve my issue. I just hate spending money on a new radio when the TS 2000 such a beautiful rig. It might be old and heavy but she still my baby.
View Quote

I spoke with Rob Sherwood last fall on 20m HF and he mentioned Kenwood's service being in shambles since COVID. He told me that there was a period of time when Kenwood was without amaterur radio repair facility in the US. Hearing that was very troubling for me, as I have been a long time fan of Kenwood.  

Hopefully Kenwood is able to survive in this strange new world and continue to manufacture and service ham radio gear. Sadly though, discontinued radios are always at the mercy of repair parts availability.  

Good luck OP, hopefully parts are still on hand to get your TS-2000 back on the air.

Link Posted: 5/17/2022 6:42:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I spoke with Rob Sherwood last fall on 20m HF and he mentioned Kenwood's service being in shambles since COVID. He told me that there was a period of time when Kenwood was without amaterur radio repair facility in the US. Hearing that was very troubling for me, as I have been a long time fan of Kenwood.  

Hopefully Kenwood is able to survive in this strange new world and continue to manufacture and service ham radio gear. Sadly though, discontinued radios are always at the mercy of repair parts availability.  

Good luck OP, hopefully parts are still on hand to get your TS-2000 back on the air.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been a long time Kenwood fan. I also have marine Icom radios. However I do not think Kenwood is going to survive long term in the Amateur radio line. I say this because look at all of the new radios which Icom and Yaesu have been releasing. While Kenwood does have some really nice high end gear, they have not released anything new for a while. They better get their R&D going or else the only two players will be Icom and Yaseu.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:07:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, he went through my ts-850 for cap replacement and a few other things. Less than $300 if I remember.  Call him up

https://jahnkeelectronics.com/
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Paul Contacted me. He replaced both drivers for the preamp. Is this something that typically goes bad? How would this have occurred? The radio was in storage for close to 18 years without use. Do they  just go bad on their own?
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 8:44:45 AM EDT
[#19]
what was the cost ?
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 8:59:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
what was the cost ?
View Quote

$330

$300 for the work
$30 for shipping
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 9:23:53 PM EDT
[#21]

sounds fair

and prompt  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top