Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Kayaks (Page 3 of 7)
Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought the catch 100 from Academy

Tested one in the water and they are a great little boat.
Like sitting on a sofa paddling.

Dog is a little wobble legged thing but she got comfy and settled down after 20 minutes of wondering how she was on top of water without swimming

Ruffwear life vest and I got the A/M-24 Deluxe which is like wearing nothing at all.

Warming up here in NY and glad I got it.

Overall I spent a little over 1500.00 but i got a lot of needless stuff as add ons. Fish finder, portable radio, etc..
I went all in.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gotyour06:
I bought the catch 100 from Academy

Tested one in the water and they are a great little boat.
Like sitting on a sofa paddling.

Dog is a little wobble legged thing but she got comfy and settled down after 20 minutes of wondering how she was on top of water without swimming

Ruffwear life vest and I got the A/M-24 Deluxe which is like wearing nothing at all.

Warming up here in NY and glad I got it.

Overall I spent a little over 1500.00 but i got a lot of needless stuff as add ons. Fish finder, portable radio, etc..
I went all in.
View Quote
Congrats on your first kayak!  Welcome to the club!
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Following my son in our Dagger Zydeco's:

Attachment Attached File

Oooops...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I see two, maybe three Pelicans! It's a miracle that you survived!
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 6:55:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DodgeDakota] [#6]
Not mine.  They’ll be broken by the end of the season if they keep floating with us.

That perception in the front is one of my boats though.  Cost a whopping $100 extra over the base pelican.  Money well spent.  It’s WAY nicer.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 9:53:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: weagle] [#7]
I've been going once or twice a week in my Pelican Catch 100 mostly in the Chattahoochee river.  I'm actually surprised how well I'm able to move upstream.  I knew it would be great in still waters, but it's great in the river as well.

Trout Fishing Chatahoochee River Pelican Catch 100 Kayak
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Opinions on an Old Town Loon 126 angler for fishing and recreation (exercise) ?
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#9]
If it passes inspection, is a good price, and fits your intended use, go for it.

Originally Posted By jvhuse:
Opinions on an Old Town Loon 126 angler for fishing and recreation (exercise) ?
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 4:06:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm close to buying my first Kayak.   I can't decide which one though.  I want one I can put a trolling motor on, so I can either go with a more expensive unit with the mounting plate built in, or a cheaper kayak and just make my own mounting plate.

I'm really liking the looks of the Vibes...but also the WS Ride/Radar too...

Here's a great video, but this guy doesn't carry Wilderness systems, Jackson, or a couple others I was interested in:

Top 10 Fishing Kayaks Under $1000 | 2018 Edition
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 9:43:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By mag162:
Im looking to get  a Nucanoe Frontier 12.
Do they ever go on sale?
View Quote
Gotta check with each dealer. I know my buddy had put them on sale earlier this year at his store in southern Jersey..
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:31:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: garanditis] [#14]
I just pulled the trigger on a Vibe Sea Ghost 130.  With the dry storage, installed rudder system, included paddle, and proven stability it was the best for the money in my opinion.
Should be here Thursday, then I'll start rigging her out!

ETA: 550 pound load cap
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 11:02:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Wait till you guys see what's coming out new from.......  Pelican! It's interesting!
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 11:20:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a Perception Pescador Pro 120 I have yet to put in the water.

I can't really figure out how I want to rig it onto my Runner or how I'll get it off to launch.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By garanditis:
I just pulled the trigger on a Vibe Sea Ghost 130.  With the dry storage, installed rudder system, included paddle, and proven stability it was the best for the money in my opinion.
Should be here Thursday, then I'll start rigging her out!

ETA: 550 pound load cap
View Quote
I got one in March and have have done a lot to it(I'll see if I can get some pics). I added a couple rod holders on the front tracks, LED flood lights on the front and rear, navigation lights, couple LED's just behind the foot pedals, trolling motor, full size group 24 battery, anchor and trolley.  I put a Minnkota 30lb on it and have spent 5 hrs on the river averaging speed 3 and used less than half a charge. I have had mine in the ocean with some 2-3 foot waves and did not flip it. It is a very stable kayak you will enjoy it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 12:34:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VACaver] [#18]
Some kayak fun on the Fourth...I thought I was gonna go for a swim

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 1:00:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

I can't really figure out how I want to rig it onto my Runner or how I'll get it off to launch.
View Quote
I mainly trailer my Pro 120 on a modified (extended the tongue) Harbor Freight ($160 on sale a few years ago). Usually use the trailer on long trips.

I also carry it roof top on my Nissan Xterra in some situations, like if the terrain to the water is rough. The Xterra has a beefy rack, so loading/unloading is fairly easy. Boat is set parallel with truck. Stern centered with the center of the roof rack. Bow is lifted up until it lays on the rack, then the stern is lifted until the boat sets sideways on the rack. Then align the boat with the truck and tie it down.  If the launch area is grass, dirt or sand I just drag the kayak to the launch. If rocky or concrete, like a ramp, I cart it from the truck to the launch with a kayak trolley or, if a partner is with me, we just grab a carry handle and walk it to the launch.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote
I trailer mine on a single jet ski trailer I bought on Craigslist.   It’s outfitted like heaths and too heavy to load by hand unless you completely unload it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Handydave:

I trailer mine on a single jet ski trailer I bought on Craigslist.   It’s outfitted like heaths and too heavy to load by hand unless you completely unload it.
View Quote
Yup, I got a little trailer as well.  Works really well for kayaks.  After pricing out a new roof rack, etc... after selling the truck, a cheap trailer was only like $100 more and is a ton more useful.  I use a 5x8 utility trailer.  Have put up to 8 kayaks on it in the past
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Well, I had planned to buy the new Pelican Catch 130HD with the peddle drive as soon as it came out, but yesterday a used Catch 120 popped up on a local classified at a price too good to pass up. I picked it up and hit the water today.

It hangs a little further out of my old 4Runner, but it is still a cinch to load and unload. I really can't tell much difference in paddling it vs the Catch 100, but the seat sits a few inches higher and I like that.

I am still 100 % happy with my Pelican Catch 100, but I wanted a Kayak that would allow me to cover more water on some of the bigger watershed lakes.  With that in mind, I think I will install a trolling motor on the Catch 120.   I expect most of my fishing will still be from the smaller c100.

A general observation from a couple of years of continuous Kayak shopping: Fishing kayaks from all manufacturers are going up in features/design and coming down in price.

Link Posted: 2/4/2019 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I'm gonna get a trailer since my wife just bought a Tarpon 120.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 8:55:21 AM EDT
[#24]
It won’t be long before I grab a couple sit on tops for my son and I, but was curious as to the benefit of the raised/variable height seats. I know when I bought my sit in WS, the lower seat made paddling more comfortable and helped with stability. What does the higher seat on the fishing style sit on tops actually do? Make casting easier?

Stability doesn’t really seem to be an issue with as wide as the sit on tops are.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 9:17:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Hobie Outback owner here...  Advice given elsewhere in this thread on "try before you buy" is completely accurate.  Not only should you go to a demo day at a local kayak/sup shop, but once you zero in on what you think you like, see if they offer a 4 hour tour or fishing trip.  I fish saltwater creeks, tidal rivers, and some flats.  There's no way that I could do it effectively while still paddling a kayak.  Pedal-drive is a game changer.  I caught more fish last year than my friends with powerboats and without all of the bullshit.

Originally I was car-topping the kayak, but opted for a trailer setup instead which enables me to have a fully rigged & ready boat.

Above all things, wear your PFD.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 9:18:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By mchgnxj24:
It won’t be long before I grab a couple sit on tops for my son and I, but was curious as to the benefit of the raised/variable height seats. I know when I bought my sit in WS, the lower seat made paddling more comfortable and helped with stability. What does the higher seat on the fishing style sit on tops actually do? Make casting easier?

Stability doesn’t really seem to be an issue with as wide as the sit on tops are.
View Quote
Sit on top keeps your butt dry first and foremost.  More comfort.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote
The raised seats are extremely comfortable.  I can fish out of my Pelican Catch series all day, like sitting in an easy chair.  No worries with stability as most of the SOT kayaks are stable enough to stand in.

Secondary for me is the raised seat makes casting easier as well as seeing structure/fish in the water.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 2:15:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By rgaper:
Hobie Outback owner here...  Advice given elsewhere in this thread on "try before you buy" is completely accurate.  Not only should you go to a demo day at a local kayak/sup shop, but once you zero in on what you think you like, see if they offer a 4 hour tour or fishing trip.  I fish saltwater creeks, tidal rivers, and some flats.  There's no way that I could do it effectively while still paddling a kayak.  Pedal-drive is a game changer.  I caught more fish last year than my friends with powerboats and without all of the bullshit.

Originally I was car-topping the kayak, but opted for a trailer setup instead which enables me to have a fully rigged & ready boat.

View Quote
@rgaper

Where are you fishing? I'm in SEPA and fish "saltwater creeks, tidal rivers, flats, etc...."
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By mercinarysniper:
@rgaper

Where are you fishing? I'm in SEPA and fish "saltwater creeks, tidal rivers, flats, etc...."
View All Quotes

@rgaper

@mercinarysniper

I'm in Chester County.  I fish the Susquehanna Flats in MD, around Lewes in DE, and behind Stone Harbor in NJ.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 12:32:57 AM EDT
[#30]
@mercinarysniper

I'm in Chester County.  I fish the Susquehanna Flats in MD, around Lewes in DE, and behind Stone Harbor in NJ.
View All Quotes

@rgaper

@mercinarysniper

@rgaper

Interesting... I too fish Stone Harbor...  shoot me a PM. Your inbox is full
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 9:05:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Vibe Sea Ghost 130 here. Very nice boat.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 9:34:21 PM EDT
[#32]
I got a 10’ Lifetime Fisherman from Sports Authority when they went out of business.  Best $125 I’ve ever spent.

It’s sit on top style, very light to carry and I was able to easily setup my Helix 5.  Tons of fun.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 5:30:27 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote
The most stable and comfortable boat I own is an Ascend sit in. Ascend puts really nice raised chairs in all their chaired boats, sit in or sit on tops. That being said, my favorite kayak is my Perception Pescador Pro 120 sit on top. I chose that boat because a sit on top is more suited for my favorite kind of bass fishing....creeks. In in my research and demos of various SOT's, I came down to two choices, the Pescador and the Seaghost 12'. Both were similarly priced, too. I ended up choosing the Pescador because the chair sat a good bit lower than all the other SOT's I'd tried, including the Seaghost and all the  Jacksons and Ascends. It has a low center of gravity and still keeps my tail from sitting soggy all day like in non-chaired boat. The Pescador Pro models likely have the only chaired SOT's with that low a center of gravity. In my creek fishing, one of my favorite methods of fishing is parking on shoals, rocks and logs. I just throw one leg to stall on a jutting rock or log and both feet down to stall in a shallow shoal. That is a lot harder and more uncomfortable in a sit in. It is also harder to do in a SOT that has a really high chair. Those are more geared to folks who like to get up and stand on their kayaks. I seldom do that in my fishing, in a creek or a lake.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 5:39:12 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote
I always poo-poo'd Hobie folks as having more money than cents until last year during a state tourney I was in. One of the members took his tank, a Pro Angler, with a Mirage drive. I quickly discovered that the Mirage is a genius design.  He put that thing through some class 2 rapids and when we'd hit flat water stretches, I could not keep pace with him and I have a decently fast paddle boat.  I can imagine that drive is something else pushing a lighter boat like an Outback.  I think if I ever go to a more expensive kayak, it will be an Outback with a Mirage. I will have to demo one first.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:26:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mchgnxj24] [#35]
Originally Posted By Flysc:

The most stable and comfortable boat I own is an Ascend sit in. Ascend puts really nice raised chairs in all their chaired boats, sit in or sit on tops. That being said, my favorite kayak is my Perception Pescador Pro 120 sit on top. I chose that boat because a sit on top is more suited for my favorite kind of bass fishing....creeks. In in my research and demos of various SOT's, I came down to two choices, the Pescador and the Seaghost 12'. Both were similarly priced, too. I ended up choosing the Pescador because the chair sat a good bit lower than all the other SOT's I'd tried, including the Seaghost and all the  Jacksons and Ascends. It has a low center of gravity and still keeps my tail from sitting soggy all day like in non-chaired boat. The Pescador Pro models likely have the only chaired SOT's with that low a center of gravity. In my creek fishing, one of my favorite methods of fishing is parking on shoals, rocks and logs. I just throw one leg to stall on a jutting rock or log and both feet down to stall in a shallow shoal. That is a lot harder and more uncomfortable in a sit in. It is also harder to do in a SOT that has a really high chair. Those are more geared to folks who like to get up and stand on their kayaks. I seldom do that in my fishing, in a creek or a lake.
View Quote
Sit on top is the direction I’m going. I also really like the Pescador. It’s at the top of my list and seems to be more reasonable pricing wise, especially on the used market.  Just need to find one locally to check out. I also want to check out the new Pelican catch. I’m not sold on the Ram-X material, but I do like their pedal system that is similar to Hobie. Gonna have to find one of those to check out, too.

Originally Posted By Flysc:

I always poo-poo'd Hobie folks as having more money than cents until last year during a state tourney I was in. One of the members took his tank, a Pro Angler, with a Mirage drive. I quickly discovered that the Mirage is a genius design.  He put that thing through some class 2 rapids and when we'd hit flat water stretches, I could not keep pace with him and I have a decently fast paddle boat.  I can imagine that drive is something else pushing a lighter boat like an Outback.  I think if I ever go to a more expensive kayak, it will be an Outback with a Mirage. I will have to demo one first.
View Quote
I’ve seen the Outback all over and that thing is sweet! That price though... it gets up there when you start buying kayaks for the entire family!

Edit: multi-quote failure.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 10:42:53 PM EDT
[#36]

I also want to check out the new Pelican catch. I’m not sold on the Ram-X material, but I do like their pedal system that is similar to Hobie.

Edit: multi-quote failure.
View Quote
Have no worries about the Ram-X.  It's multilayer design is extremely durable.   It is lighter too.  Check out the Facebook Pelican Catch user group if you have a facebook acct.  Tons of on the water feedback and I've never seen anyone punch a hole in one.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 1:47:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunslinger808] [#37]
Just picked this one up. a Perception Pescador with Pilot drive.

Price was right, and I had been looking for a pedal boat...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

My wife who likes to paddle will take over my Ascend FS12T, now she gets to fidget with the fish finder.

Giving my boy the Ocean.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 12:58:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tooly] [#38]
Any thoughts on the old town predator xl?
Its for bass fishing.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:33:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By tooly:
Its for bass fishing.
View Quote
Very nice Kayak, second only to Hobie for a pedal kayak (IMHO).

Local dealer is very high on the Old Town pedal kayaks, he has switched over to a new yak called the Top Water.  It's 10' I believe, definitely shorter but has the same pedal drive as the Predator.  Best of the bicycle type pedal drives, engineered by Minn Kota.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By tooly:
Its for bass fishing.
View Quote
Predator is g2g. I have it's sister boat, the Prowler. I'm looking to upgrade mine to a new boat though. Think I've sold myself on a PA. We'll see. Need to get some seat time in the new Outback model first.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Within the next week or two I will be picking up a new yak. If I go paddle I'm looking at the 3 Waters Big Fish 120 or the Feel Free Lure 11.5 (because it can be upgrade to pedal later)

If I opt to drop the cash and get a pedal drive I'm looking at the Native Titan 12.5, the Hobie Outback, or the Lure 11.5 or maybe the 13.5
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 11:59:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By s1rGr1nG0:
Within the next week or two I will be picking up a new yak. If I go paddle I'm looking at the 3 Waters Big Fish 120 or the Feel Free Lure 11.5 (because it can be upgrade to pedal later)

If I opt to drop the cash and get a pedal drive I'm looking at the Native Titan 12.5, the Hobie Outback, or the Lure 11.5 or maybe the 13.5
View Quote
If you do drop the cash and go with a pedal drive, be aware that the Titan 12, which is a great boat, weighs in at 140lbs fully rigged up. The outback is about 103. If you're car topping, that weight difference could be a deal breaker. If you have a pickup, disregard. Either way, whatever kayak you decide to pick up, get a cart that cradles the kayak, not a cart that goes into the scupper holes.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Any recommendations for a VHF radio?
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 5:23:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Pedal drive sound great, except for the boat weight. My boat weighs 60# in stock trim, probably 70# with the cargo deck. I love that it is easily handled on solo trips.

BTW, anyone doing LED lights on their yaks? Drew up a schematic and looked at parts on Amazon this week. $150 or so could do a system with white flood light, markers, interior and IR flood. May be my next project...
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By 1ipschoser:
Pedal drive sound great, except for the boat weight. My boat weighs 60# in stock trim, probably 70# with the cargo deck. I love that it is easily handled on solo trips.

BTW, anyone doing LED lights on their yaks? Drew up a schematic and looked at parts on Amazon this week. $150 or so could do a system with white flood light, markers, interior and IR flood. May be my next project...
View Quote
I'd like to put lights on my kayak.

Already have a battery for my Garmin Striker, so it has power.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 6:33:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1ipschoser] [#47]

I'd like to put lights on my kayak.

Already have a battery for my Garmin Striker, so it has power.
View Quote
Sounds like an easy mod since you have power. Search "marine LED lights" on Amazon.

A friend and I recently did a night paddle to a remote camp site. The lights would be great if someone in a bass boat came charging down the river... The night paddle was awesome. Have also done it with NODS. Fun adventures!
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 6:47:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By 1ipschoser:

Sounds like an easy mod since you have power. Search "marine LED lights" on Amazon.

A friend and I recently did a night paddle to a remote camp site. The lights would be great if someone in a bass boat came charging down the river... The night paddle was awesome. Have also done it with NODS. Fun adventures!
View Quote
Number one reason I want lights.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#49]
I am picking up a Hobie Outback on Monday.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Warhawk:
I am picking up a Hobie Outback on Monday.
View Quote
Nice. Right in time for some nice Spring weather. Have fun!
Page / 7
Kayaks (Page 3 of 7)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top