[#1]
How does one search for said leases?
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 10:08:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This is assuming you don't live in the state you're looking in.
1. Pick a state.
2. Look for hunting forums, hunting magazines, etc.
3. Research said forums, magazines, etc

You just have to spend time looking.

If you live in the state you're looking in, add talking to as many people as you can. People in church, hardware stores, feed&seed stores, etc.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Little ones count don't they?
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 2:44:44 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote
Why yes they do!
Should be worth double due to the size and speed.
Good shooting!
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote
We’ve killed 14 or so about that size in the last month.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yeah keep killing them they breed early kill them early!
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 1:19:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 4:46:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 9:57:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Keep on stacking them up!
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I have finally done it!

I have not had any hog signs for weeks now. My deer corn lasts more than 1 night.

I'm sure more will be back soon but hopefully not till end of deer season.

I slowly took out a full sounder before deer season  and then had another group start coming in.  I shot 3 of the new group and they have not returned.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want your problem to go away, you need to trap (at least). Just shooting them just won’t keep up.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 1:28:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you want your problem to go away, you need to trap (at least). Just shooting them just won’t keep up.
View Quote
Even worse... killing the hogs is considered by any timber expert to be maintaining the property.

The problem is only going to get worse as the land owners are clearly not doing their part in removing the feral hogs there.

EDIT:  Also consider setting up a few Duke DP Coon Traps.  Raccoons will find that feeder and consume a lot of the corn.

Link Posted: 9/24/2018 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Lease I hunt. The land owners want the lease members to shoot hogs until no hogs over 100lbs are alive anywhere on the 6000 acres.
Don’t care what is done with them. Just kill them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lease I hunt. The land owners want the lease members to shoot hogs until no hogs over 100lbs are alive anywhere on the 6000 acres.
View Quote
Traps. Otherwise, you’re pissing in the wind.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 8:10:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I encourage you to locate land closer to your home and remove hogs that way.  Locate the property owners of large 80+ acre tracts of land near your home and offer to remove their hogs.  The local tax assessor can provide this information and you will find many property owners are out of state but a phone call or letter away.

The point of a lease is to pay for the right to hunt deer, paying to be an exterminator of feral species is wasting your money and time.

Now if the lease land owners provide you with bullets, hog panels and similar traps to remove the nuisance animals then you have a fair deal.

For example, I currently have the rights to hunt feral hogs and coyotes on over 1,000 acres worth of properties within 25 miles of my home.  I don't pay anyone and am even allowed to take a few deer if I so choose because my efforts have increased the deer populations.  I was able to earn this privilege simply by knocking on a few doors and making friends of property owners that were clearly not capable of managing their land.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#16]
It is kind of a double-edged sword for me.

I do not like having the hogs around during deer or turkey season. When it is not deer or turkey season I very much enjoy going out and shooting hogs at night.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Join the club. We've been fighting them tooth and nail for 15 years.  There are more now than ever.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 1:14:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I have some blackmouth curs and a pitbull that will make them stand up and say yes sir.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm liking the dead pigs in this thread
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 5:51:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm liking the dead pigs in this
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 9:24:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm liking the dead pigs in this thread
View Quote
Got this one yesterday afternoon while walking away from my forest I looked back hog was peeking at me from within the heavy brush.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
1. Pick a state.

If you live in the state you're looking in, add talking to as many people as you can. People in church, hardware stores, feed&seed stores, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1. Pick a state.

Check the bulletin boards at feed stores, sporting goods stores, hardware stores, etc.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 2:07:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Got this one yesterday afternoon while walking away from my forest I looked back hog was peeking at me from within the heavy brush.
http://oi67.tinypic.com/2en6mhd.jpg
View Quote
Looks like you gave him a black eye
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Looks like you gave him a black eye
View Quote
Looks like you chewed his ear a bit too!
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:22:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Day 2; 2nd hog down;  They insist on using bolt action...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cZUTOFpYj0&t

Floodlight that comes on in video is a 12VDC 50Watt RED LED which does not seem to bother hogs.  Controlled via WIFI and iPHone app.  Draws a lot of power so do not leave it running very long.  Recharging a marine battery is difficult in thick Louisiana forestland with solar panels.

WHDTS WiFi Momentary Inching Relay Delay Switch Module Low Power Smart Home Remote Control DC 12V Compatible with iOS Andriod 2G/3G/4G Network
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 11:35:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Great work. Keep it up.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:02:30 PM EDT
[#27]
This sow came in right under my stand today. Shot her at less than 15 yards.
Also took a 9 point and 8 point this week.

Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:16:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Went to sneak up on one of my corn piles that has had recent signs of hogs. I've never had signs of hogs in this area before and never check it when hog hunting.
Thought what the hell let's check.

My brother and I use shooting sticks but this corn pile is only 35 yards from the corner we'll be coming around while stalking up on them. So I decided to leave the sticks just before we got to the corner and use I2 and laser to make the shot.
Well as soon as we reached the corner I heard some grunting and 2 large hogs were 15 yards ahead of us. They must have caught wind of us and went into the pines just ahead of us.

This is where thermal makes all of the difference. We couldn't see them in the pines 15 yards ahead of us with I2. Had to switch to the thermal and bang 2 hogs down. I think my brother was counting hairs with his 60mm Trijicon at that range.

Happiness is a warm gun and some dead hogs
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 8:50:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Went to sneak up on one of my corn piles that has had recent signs of hogs. I've never had signs of hogs in this area before and never check it when hog hunting.
Thought what the hell let's check.

My brother and I use shooting sticks but this corn pile is only 35 yards from the corner we'll be coming around while stalking up on them. So I decided to leave the sticks just before we got to the corner and use I2 and laser to make the shot.
Well as soon as we reached the corner I heard some grunting and 2 large hogs were 15 yards ahead of us. They must have caught wind of us and went into the pines just ahead of us.

This is where thermal makes all of the difference. We couldn't see them in the pines 15 yards ahead of us with I2. Had to switch to the thermal and bang 2 hogs down. I think my brother was counting hairs with his 60mm Trijicon at that range.

Happiness is a warm gun and some dead hogs
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/138939/20191018_223457-1129369.jpg
View Quote
They’re well feed!
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 2:54:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

They're well feed!
View Quote
There are some fields near by but most of it has been tobacco and cotton lately.
They will not be eating any more of my deer corn.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 11:30:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Very nice shooting
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 10:24:41 PM EDT
[#34]
I am officially overrun with hogs.I have killed 3 hogs in the last 4 trips deer hunting and I shot all 3 before I could make it to the stand.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 8:28:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Killing poor innocent pigs , you should feel bad .  That looks like straight sugar sand, they ought to be able to tear that up pretty quick ....
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 9:35:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Killing poor innocent pigs , you should feel bad .  That looks like straight sugar sand, they ought to be able to tear that up pretty quick ....
View Quote
I need remote activated claymores.

They are tearing up my roads, eating all my deer corn and running the deer out. It is now my mission to kill every hog I can.

The good news is in the last week I've killed 3 of the 4 sows that have been running together in one area.  The teets on that last one will be getting a workout trying to feed those 15 or so little piglets.

I got her on camera spinning circles to keep them off her teets.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 11:20:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

They are tearing up my roads, eating all my deer corn and running the deer out. It is now my mission to kill every hog I can.

The good news is in the last week I've killed 3 of the 4 sows that have been running together in one area.  The teets on that last one will be getting a workout trying to feed those 15 or so little piglets.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope them little devils chew them teets plum off Yeah Government funded claymores would be a nice addition to our arsenals.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#38]
I finally shot the last sow in a sounder that had 4 sows and a bunch of piglets.

I've orphaned all of the piglets and feel really bad about it.

The coyote will probably get them.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 9:39:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I finally shot the last sow in a sounder that had 4 sows and a bunch of piglets.

I've orphaned all of the piglets and feel really bad about it.

The coyote will probably get them.
View Quote
Good luck to the coyotes. Jager Pro fallowed two orphan piglets for a month and the thrived. Bears seem to be the only real piglet enemy here. Coyotes get a few but bears are starting to figure out that pork is tasty.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Good luck to the coyotes. Jager Pro fallowed two orphan piglets for a month and the thrived. Bears seem to be the only real piglet enemy here. Coyotes get a few but bears are starting to figure out that pork is tasty.
View Quote
There bears in OK ? Didn’t know that.  Only thing we have in my area is black panthers, and mountain lions. I’ve never seen any personally, but the old timers at the feed store have assured me that they’re out there. .... I firmly believe there a direct correlation between black panther sightings and feed store coffee

Eta.  Question about beats was serious.  Assume you’re NE part of state?
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 12:37:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Why yes they do!
Good shooting!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Why yes they do!
Good shooting!
And sucklings taste best!
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 5:04:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
There bears in OK ? Didn’t know that.  Only thing we have in my area is black panthers, and mountain lions. I’ve never seen any personally, but the old timers at the feed store have assured me that they’re out there. .... I firmly believe there a direct correlation between black panther sightings and feed store coffee

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eastern part of the state has a season on them. But they are spotty on where they like to be.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#43]
That’s cool.   I think I might have actually asked you about the bears before. You’ll have to forgive me, I’m not that smart.....
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That’s cool.   I think I might have actually asked you about the bears before. You’ll have to forgive me, I’m not that smart.....
View Quote
Don't worry about my memory is shorter than my pecker and that's pretty short.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 9:48:04 PM EDT
[#45]
They had a bear on a game camera not to far from where I hunt several months ago.

I shot 2 more hogs tonight
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Is there an actual bear season?
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Is there an actual bear season?
View Quote
Complete with special tags. They even excluded us lifetime license holders where we have to buy tags.
http://www.eregulations.com/oklahoma/hunting/bear-hunting-seasons/
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 9:48:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Want a hunting buddy?  I’ll bring some 68 ammo!
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Want a hunting buddy?  I'll bring some 68 ammo!
View Quote
I hunt near the Ruffin area, right on the Little Salkehatchie river.

I can probably get you out there some time if you really want to go.

Been really hard to pattern the hogs lately due to all of the acorns on the ground.  Getting a lot more daytime kills lately than nighttime.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#50]
last week, I was in the hills down by Lake Sardis in SE OK. (think banjo music and bigfoot)

A local was bitching about bears and hogs.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top