Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2023 11:21:22 AM EDT
11 months almost to the day. I should have it within a month according to Angel. WooHoo!
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds expensive. Congratulations!
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
11 months almost to the day. I should have it within a month according to Angel. WooHoo!
View Quote

Cool. Let us know how it all works out.  I have never seen a LUX in person.  Sure like my Mercury IIIs. I thought it was very pretty, until I saw a LUX, that thing is beautiful  in the photo's.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#3]
You are way more patient than me! I'd have bought the Acom 1200S for instant gratification

When you put your order in did they require the $1200 deposit?
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:02:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds expensive. Congratulations!
View Quote

$4300

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:02:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You are way more patient than me! I'd have bought the Acom 1200S for instant gratification

When you put your order in did they require the $1200 deposit?
View Quote

Not to get on the list. I just paid the $1200. They will now start building it. I will pay the remainder once it is ready to ship.

https://www.km3km.com/elementor-1915/
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Lol, I would need an amp to get to the 30-50w input power.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#7]
For those interested, they will have a limited number of the MercuryATs go live on morning of the 27th. So if you want to get your hands on arguably one of the best tuners on the market...

https://www.km3km.com/product/mercuryat/
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:41:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome news about the amp!  

Quoted:
For those interested, they will have a limited number of the MercuryATs go live on morning of the 27th. So if you want to get your hands on arguably one of the best tuners on the market...

View Quote

It does seem nice, but is not terribly wide in range.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:51:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

None of my antennas are near 5:1 anyway. But the EFHW and EF are 2:1-ish in some bands. Bonus is the 3 antenna switch.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I keep hoping they will improve the AT rating to 1500W, I'd be on it then.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rumors are circulating that there may be a Tuner coming to match with the LUX. Totally unsubstantiated, but if that happens, I would jump on it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Rumors are circulating that there may be a Tuner coming to match with the LUX. Totally unsubstantiated, but if that happens, I would jump on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, maybe I will wait then. Or inquire about the LUX matched tuner.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, see what they say. They're pretty tight-lipped about that sort of thing, though.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Already have mine
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Congrats on the new amp!!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Congrats on the new amp!!!
View Quote

I actually probably will not see it for 8-10 weeks...

I just read the receipt from the deposit.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 6:40:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah, see what they say. They're pretty tight-lipped about that sort of thing, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A legal limit tuner is in design and testing, when it becomes available we will post it on our web site

See you on the Air!!!

Angel Ruiz

N2PTB

Welp....

I will be holding off on ordering a AT until the LUX tuner is ready.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 7:22:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Welp....

View Quote
Me too. I've been keeping an eye out for a MFJ-998 or Palstar HF-Auto deal, I've got a Palstar AT2K for now. I'll wait it out for a MercuryAT.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Sweet!

June 10 is my 1 year anniversary on the list.   Merc3 is all I want and while I am still on the unsplit list if my memory serves me right I haven’t heard a thing yet.  The Lux line moves faster (most stay with the M3 I think).

I have the Pastar HF Auto.  It has been balky lately.  It fails to auto tune sometimes and needs a reboot at times.  Several reboots last night and I couldn’t get the auto to work until I switched to an AM carrier when I normally do RTTY.   It did start working but I am concerned.

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Welp....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A legal limit tuner is in design and testing, when it becomes available we will post it on our web site

See you on the Air!!!

Angel Ruiz N2PTB

Welp....

Holy crap, that is official confirmation!!!  

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-82tSdx9/4/a7c5ea8a/S/i-82tSdx9-S.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See you on the Air!!!

Angel Ruiz N2PTB

Welp....

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-82tSdx9/4/a7c5ea8a/S/i-82tSdx9-S.jpg

Yep. I imagine the cost to play will be just over $1k
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/4xkAAOSw4BVgJu6d/s-l500.jpg

View Quote

Maybe so. I hope they are less than a Palstar.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 3:57:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/4xkAAOSw4BVgJu6d/s-l500.jpg

The 1200w AT is $800... The cannot charge much more. I bet it will come in at $1100-$1200
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The 1200w AT is $800... The cannot charge much more. I bet it will come in at $1100-$1200
View Quote

Here's hoping you are correct. I should be able to swing one, if so.  

I know Kenny came over from Cuba and became a US citizen, and is now running a very successful business. I think that is really cool. Any idea if Angel or any of the others are from Cuba?
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 4:32:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I know Kenny came over from Cuba and became a US citizen, and is now running a very successful business. I think that is really cool. Any idea if Angel or any of the others are from Cuba?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not sure. I know they are still doing everything out the his house though.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Looking at Angel's QRZ page, it seems he may be from NJ, or moved there as a child(?).

Doing everything out of his house? Good way to keep costs down.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 5:14:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Looking at Angel's QRZ page, it seems he may be from NJ, or moved there as a child(?).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Especially in FL. Commercial/light industrial is not cheap down there. I have been looking.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

and explains the small production batches.  If you want it faster then it will cost more for the needed expansion.   You won’t get the same price point.

It’s a boost to the hobbyist to keep the prices low.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:38:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I emailed them and told them to put my name on the list for the new MercuryAT+
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I emailed them and told them to put my name on the list for the new MercuryAT+
View Quote

Did they respond?
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 3:17:23 PM EDT
[#31]
No list for the LUX tuner.

Hi,

When ready and available we will sell it through our web store and not in a list…Thank You

See you on the Air!!!

Angel Ruiz

N2PTB
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 4:12:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:52:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Same reply I got.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 1:18:15 AM EDT
[#34]
That Mercury shows it'll run 1200W on a 120V 20A circuit.  The ACOM 1200S states that at less then 200V supply it drops to 500W output.  And the two are priced about the same.  
Probably won't be able to have much else on that 120V circuit if running the 1200W out, but at least it's an option.  

Although I guess when you start talking about costs of KW+ amps and their requisite tuners, a couple hundred bucks to drop a new circuit isn't even a concern.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 7:48:30 AM EDT
[#35]
You are right, but it depends where the new circuit is going.

When all my equipment was on the second floor there was no easy, economical way to put 240 up there. But I was very happy with my KPA500.

When everything moved to a rack in the basement it was trivial to add a 240 circuit. Well, almost trivial. With the service at the far end of the basement from the rack I had to drill a lot of floor joists to run the cable. But other than that, easy peasy.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 7:57:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That Mercury shows it'll run 1200W on a 120V 20A circuit.  The ACOM 1200S states that at less then 200V supply it drops to 500W output.  And the two are priced about the same.  
Probably won't be able to have much else on that 120V circuit if running the 1200W out, but at least it's an option.  

Although I guess when you start talking about costs of KW+ amps and their requisite tuners, a couple hundred bucks to drop a new circuit isn't even a concern.
View Quote

Let's compare apples to apples.

DXE has the 1000w Acom 1200S for $4199 (this may include shipping)

The 1500w Mercury LUX is $4399 + shipping
The 1200W Mercury IIIs is $2799 + shipping

So, if you want a 1200w amp, the Mercury IIIs is $1400 less than the Acom 1200S.

For $200 and shipping costs above the 1000w Acom 1200S, you can get a 1500w Mercury LUX.

Edited to change the Acom wattage to 1000.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#37]
A couple of other things to consider...

The Acom 1200S is a 1KW amp (the model number is a bit deceiving). But remember, there's only 1.8dB difference between 1KW and 1.5KW.

Most important: you could have an Acom 1200S sitting on your desk in a week, as opposed to a year for the Lux.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The Acom 1200S is a 1KW amp (the model number is a bit deceiving). But remember, there's only 1.8dB difference between 1KW and 1.5KW.

Most important: you could have an Acom 1200S sitting on your desk in a week, as opposed to a year for the Lux.
View Quote

Oddly, DXE lists it as 1.2kw in the overview: https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/aom-1200s#overview

Only when you click for more details does it claim 1000w.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 7:48:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Let's compare apples to apples.

DXE has the 1000w Acom 1200S for $4199 (this may include shipping)

The 1500w Mercury LUX is $4399 + shipping
The 1200W Mercury IIIs is $2799 + shipping

So, if you want a 1200w amp, the Mercury IIIs is $1400 less than the Acom 1200S.

For $200 and shipping costs above the 1000w Acom 1200S, you can get a 1500w Mercury LUX.

Edited to change the Acom wattage to 1000.
View Quote

Well hell.  Now you got me thinking about a Mercury IIIs and matching Mercury AT.  When I was on the web page I saw the discontinued part under the IIIs but didn't realize that was just for the parts kit model.  So $3600 for the whole shebang.  And only have a 1db difference from the 1500W model.  

But my other hobby, scuba diving, is calling for a drysuit and a sidemount setup in the more nearer future.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 6:32:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Well hell.  Now you got me thinking about a Mercury IIIs and matching Mercury AT.  When I was on the web page I saw the discontinued part under the IIIs but didn't realize that was just for the parts kit model.  So $3600 for the whole shebang.  And only have a 1db difference from the 1500W model.  

But my other hobby, scuba diving, is calling for a drysuit and a sidemount setup in the more nearer future.
View Quote

The bad news is that there are no Mercury amps "in stock"; they are all built to order. The good news is that you can order a Mercury IIIs today, which really means being put on the waiting list. It costs $0 to get onto the waiting list. The waiting list is so big that it takes the better part of a year before your turn will come up. When it does, if you want to go forward they require a $1200 deposit and then they will build and test your amp. This takes several weeks. When your amp is ready, they will ask for the rest of the $ and ship the amp to you.

So, you have about a year for your wallet to recover from the scuba purchases before you would have to shell out for the amp.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:00:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yea, I could have bought an Acom at an estate sale last year but was already on the Merc3 list.  I really wasn’t in to another tube amp.  I just don’t have faith in long term production of tubes.   I have an 811H and I’ll sell it off to a local club member when I am ready.  It’s working so far though.   One reason why I didn’t feel compelled to buy the Acom right in front of me.    An Alpha or Elecraft and maybe I would have jumped.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted: Yea, I could have bought an Acom at an estate sale last year but was already on the Merc3 list.  I really wasn’t in to another tube amp.  I just don’t have faith in long term production of tubes.   I have an 811H and I’ll sell it off to a local club member when I am ready.  It’s working so far though.   One reason why I didn’t feel compelled to buy the Acom right in front of me.    An Alpha or Elecraft and maybe I would have jumped.
View Quote
Not sure if you are talking about a different Acom, but the 1200s is a solid-state amp.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:46:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Not sure if you are talking about a different Acom, but the 1200s is a solid-state amp.
View Quote

yea I think the one they had was Svetlana tubes.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 12:53:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
MercuryAT is on sale for $739 Maybe the LuxAT is not too far off. I keep searching for a MFJ-998 deal but no luck so maybe that's a sign to wait.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
MercuryAT is on sale for $739 Maybe the LuxAT is not too far off. I keep searching for a MFJ-998 deal but no luck so maybe that's a sign to wait.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MFJ-998 is $639.95 at HRO. That's only a tad more than I paid in 2021. The MFJ seems to work reasonably well, but I do struggle with it sometimes when using higher power. That may be entirely due to my limited competence and experience, I'm not sure.

When the matching tuner for the LUX shows up, I will have a difficult time not buying one unless there is something about the specifications or price that I find unacceptable. I think that the Mercury products have excellent build and design quality, so it might be nicer to use than the MFJ.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The bad news is that there are no Mercury amps "in stock"; they are all built to order. The good news is that you can order a Mercury IIIs today, which really means being put on the waiting list. It costs $0 to get onto the waiting list. The waiting list is so big that it takes the better part of a year before your turn will come up. When it does, if you want to go forward they require a $1200 deposit and then they will build and test your amp. This takes several weeks. When your amp is ready, they will ask for the rest of the $ and ship the amp to you.

So, you have about a year for your wallet to recover from the scuba purchases before you would have to shell out for the amp.
View Quote

Not helping.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top