Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/31/2022 6:21:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nowgrn4]
My Gal with our 22 year old Weld-Craft on Juniper Springs run a mile of so west of Lake George in Ocala NF.

Link Posted: 5/31/2022 8:39:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sparkyD] [#1]

Before I I started to modify it.

I have stalled out on my building a deck and rod boxes. Maybe prices will stabilize and I will finish it. I would also like a set of pods for the back to offset my fat ass.

Wife spraying weeds in one of our strip pits.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 9:17:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't have many good photos of my boat.

Plenty taken from my boat

2011 G3 1860 CCT with a 90 hp Yamaha 4 stroke.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:09:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Never seen a Boat like that with steps on the rear like that.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 1:06:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By smullen:
View Quote

They are floatation pod’s.
https://www.explorebeavertail.com/product-category/aluminum-boats-pods/pods/

They help add floatation to offset weight in the back of the boat.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By smullen:
View Quote

Another great feature of transom pods is that if fitted flush with the bottom they perform like the mother off all trim tabs. I can trim back the engine and air out 2/3 of the hull with zero porpoising. This reduction in wetted surface really helps with fuel efficiency. We get 10-11 MPG @ 24-25 MPH cruise. Less bow rise on hole shot and yes they make great steps and a place to sit when beached too. Mine were fitted as a factory option when it was built.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 3:28:55 PM EDT
[#6]
My boat has pods also.

Along with the tunnel hull design it will run in some pretty shallow water.

Gets up on the plane with almost no effort.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 5:21:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akcaribouhunter] [#7]
We have a 18ft silver streak jet sled with a 90hp 4-stroke yammie and a tunnel.

It will get pods put on it sometime.
Even if they are homemade.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 8:15:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nowgrn4] [#8]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:

View Quote

They also force the water up a few inches between the pods when on plane so you can run the engine higher. Definitely should help alleviate your ventilating issue.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 10:53:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By nowgrn4:

They also force the water up a few inches between the pods when on plane so you can run the engine higher. Definitely should help alleviate your ventilating issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By nowgrn4:

Cav plate is now about 2in higher than the tunnel.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:31:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zapzap] [#10]
Budget build.

Boat: Alumacraft 1436LT with a McClain galvanized trailer - Free (friend bought a storage unit at auction and didn't have room for the boat so he sent it home with me back in May).

Engine: Predator 224 ($216.49) waiting to go pickup a Stage 1 kit, muffler and header flange from GoPowerSports ($74.54) here in DFW and the Mud-Skipper Feather-Lite surface drive kit ($957.69) has been shipped.

Hopefully I can take it out in a month or so...
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By zapzap:
Budget build.

https://i.imgur.com/RmwEj5C.jpg

Boat: Alumacraft 1436LT with a McClain galvanized trailer - Free (friend bought a storage unit at auction and didn't have room for the boat so he sent it home with me back in May).

Engine: Predator 224 ($216.49) waiting to go pickup a Stage 1 kit, muffler and header flange from GoPowerSports ($74.54) here in DFW and the Mud-Skipper Feather-Lite surface drive kit ($957.69) has been shipped.

View Quote

Cool can’t wait for finished pics.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 12:10:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zapzap] [#12]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

Cool can’t wait for finished pics.
View Quote

Well...the governor, air box and factory muffler have been removed (along with a little black box we don't talk about). Now I'm just waiting for the Mud Skipper and intake kit to get in.

Plus the registration...can't forget about that (Texas makes this kind of project difficult due to title requirements on the boat and engine).
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Well...the governor, air box and factory muffler have been removed (along with a little black box we don't talk about). Now I'm just waiting for the Mud Skipper and intake kit to get in.

Plus the registration...can't forget about that (Texas makes this kind of project difficult due to title requirements on the boat and engine).
View Quote

Have you watched Send it Jon boats on YouTube?
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 6:56:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By KB7DX:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBaDOBqxhxM

My kind of people!
View Quote

Hell yeah! That’s some epic hold my beer entertainment.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

I have. Some of the inspiration comes from his channel. Some of the inspiration (engine stuff) is coming from Red Beard's Garage. Some of it is coming off of just random stuff I see. Since I only have a 1436 instead of a seemingly more common 1448, I was concerned that the weight of the 440/459 engine would be a little too heavy with my slightly overweight body sitting in the back so I wanted to try a hopped up 212/224. In all fairness, you can almost build two 212's for the price of a 420 and have a much higher rev range. It's all an experiment.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#17]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBaDOBqxhxM

My kind of people!
View Quote
Crazy

Some of the villages around here have homemade boat races.
Boats are 8ft to 12ft and made from 2x4 an plywood. 40hp engines are used.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 7:52:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sparkyD] [#18]

I have. Some of the inspiration comes from his channel. Some of the inspiration (engine stuff) is coming from Red Beard's Garage. Some of it is coming off of just random stuff I see. Since I only have a 1436 instead of a seemingly more common 1448, I was concerned that the weight of the 440/459 engine would be a little too heavy with my slightly overweight body sitting in the back so I wanted to try a hopped up 212/224. In all fairness, you can almost build two 212's for the price of a 420 and have a much higher rev range. It's all an experiment.
View All Quotes

Pods you won’t regret them. They’re a fat boy’s friend.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 10:06:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Pods you won’t regret them. They’re a fat boy’s friend.
https://i.imgur.com/wrJjoCO.jpg
View Quote

I've thought about pods. I really want to see the surface drive's range of motion before I make a decision on them though. Don't want to run them if they would get in the way of tight maneuvering due to the lack of the ability to reverse on the surface drive.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#20]

I've thought about pods. I really want to see the surface drive's range of motion before I make a decision on them though. Don't want to run them if they would get in the way of tight maneuvering due to the lack of the ability to reverse on the surface drive.
View Quote

I’ve never seen a surface drive with reverse. My nephew uses a bowmount trolling motor when he’s in the flooded timber. He’s wanting to find a cheap used 1448 and build a solid pod for his surface drive. But he’s eat up with duck hunting. He says once he gets that project done he wants to put a 40hp jet on his 1442.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:14:33 PM EDT
[#21]

I’ve never seen a surface drive with reverse. My nephew uses a bowmount trolling motor when he’s in the flooded timber. He’s wanting to find a cheap used 1448 and build a solid pod for his surface drive. But he’s eat up with duck hunting. He says once he gets that project done he wants to put a 40hp jet on his 1442.
View Quote

Mud Skipper offers their Pro series surface drives with reverse however, they don't offer them in kits with reverse.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 11:23:21 AM EDT
[#22]
I need to shim the mount to allow adequate uptilt (angled transom) and finish the putting on the registration numbers but otherwise it's ready for "lake" trials.

Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I need to shim the mount to allow adequate uptilt (angled transom) and finish the putting on the registration numbers but otherwise it's ready for "lake" trials.

https://i.imgur.com/4o6X7V1.jpg
View Quote
Nice.

Wife would love one for getting back to the berries when the lakes/rivers/sloughs are low.
I would love it for bird hunting.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:42:28 AM EDT
[#24]

https://i.imgur.com/4o6X7V1.jpg
View Quote

That does look fun for running our shallow creek’s.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Before and After pics.

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 1:47:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zapzap] [#26]

View Quote

Took it out yesterday. Tops out at 18.5 mph (survey grade GPS verified) but due to the trim angle, I can keep fuel in the bowl at half throttle but not enough pressure difference to keep it wide open for more than about 10-15 seconds (depending on how much fuel is in the tank). Will run about 10 mph happily as pictured though but with just me in doesn't fully plane out. Went 12 miles on about a gallon of gas (estimate on fuel consumption). I got stopped when I ran into a series of dumped tires in about 6" of water...too much friction to get the hull over and it was also the point where the creek was as wide as the boat was long. Popping over barely submerged logs wasn't a big deal though. Got some real interesting looks from some folks fishing the creek...

Went ahead and ordered a fuel pump, top plate, gonna delete the tank an go with a standard marine outboard, ordered a cam (keeping the stock valve springs and valves for now), electronically governed coil (6.5k rpm) and have an email out to Tillotson about a flywheel with charging magnets so I can have battery charging.

Want to pull the benches but that will come later.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 2:30:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akcaribouhunter] [#27]

Took it out yesterday. Tops out at 18.5 mph (survey grade GPS verified) but due to the trim angle, I can keep fuel in the bowl at half throttle but not enough pressure difference to keep it wide open for more than about 10-15 seconds (depending on how much fuel is in the tank). Will run about 10 mph happily as pictured though but with just me in doesn't fully plane out. Went 12 miles on about a gallon of gas (estimate on fuel consumption). I got stopped when I ran into a series of dumped tires in about 6" of water...too much friction to get the hull over and it was also the point where the creek was as wide as the boat was long. Popping over barely submerged logs wasn't a big deal though. Got some real interesting looks from some folks fishing the creek...

Went ahead and ordered a fuel pump, top plate, gonna delete the tank an go with a standard marine outboard, ordered a cam (keeping the stock valve springs and valves for now), electronically governed coil (6.5k rpm) and have an email out to Tillotson about a flywheel with charging magnets so I can have battery charging.

View Quote
Popular up here is to line the bottom with poly to protect and slide over rocks easier.

There are two types.
Bolt through the hull
Weld studs to the bottom.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 2:38:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Popular up here is to line the bottom with poly to protect and slide over rocks easier.

There are two types.
Body through the hull
Weld studs to the bottom.
View Quote

Gator Glide is on the list but I'm holding off on some things as if I pull the benches out and remove stuff that's riveted...I'll have to patch that anyway so refinishing the hull would be needed anyway (why do something twice).
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 5:35:12 AM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

That’s a hell of a lot better shallow water boat than my old tunnel hull. It amazes me how shallow mud motors can go. Or jets.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:55:12 AM EDT
[#30]

14’ welded Alumacraft from Academy, with a 9.9 Merc 4 Stroke and a new Magic Tilt trailer. I have it wired up now with exterior UV blacklight LED’s and green interior LED’s for night fishing, a Garmin Striker 4 Plus sonar/GPS, and a front trolling motor plug along with a front casting seat. I also added SeaDek to the benches and made floor inserts with some spare 3/4” plywood. It’s been a great little boat for everything from crappie fishing in winter, to catching redfish on the grass flats and tidal creeks, to going duck hunting. It gets me into all the places my big bay boat can’t go. The boat tops out at 23 MPH when it’s just me and not too much extra gear onboard, about 15-18 with a passenger up front, which is a lot faster in either case than I expected from a 9.9 outboard.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:50:53 PM EDT
[#31]

Just got this landau 1448 with a 16 ho vanguard and go devil long tail. Added fish bite rod holders welded on extra bases so I can move them around where I want garmin stryker depth finder monster bait board and a mud skipper grab bar.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By TFI:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/461438/IMG_0548-2828991.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/461438/IMG_0546-2828992.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/461438/70588611439__BD4A0D55-E880-4703-8F2B-354-2828993.jpg

Just got this landau 1448 with a 16 ho vanguard and go devil long tail. Added fish bite rod holders welded on extra bases so I can move them around where I want garmin stryker depth finder monster bait board and a mud skipper grab bar.
View Quote

I'm curious to know how that wider boat handles things. I felt my 1436 was a little to narrow with not quite enough buoyancy in the rear to support a larger 70-110 lb engine without having to add float pods.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 9:02:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TFI] [#34]
The 1448 seems to do really well. Never feel like I’m going to have water come over the transom when stopping or anything like that. Did seem a little slow I was in a poor area for reception but seat of the pants says 12 to 17 depending on which way we where going up river or down river. This is with 2 guys 4 rods 1 tackle box small cooler and some other small miscellaneous stuff. I have a 22 hp predator engine to I may try I just don’t know what long tail to pair up with it.

@zapzap
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#35]
The 1448 seems to do really well. Never feel like I’m going to have water come over the transom when stopping or anything like that. Did seem a little slow I was in a poor area for reception but seat of the pants says 12 to 17 depending on which way we where going up river or down river. This is with 2 guys 4 rods 1 tackle box small cooler and some other small miscellaneous stuff. I have a 22 hp predator engine to I may try I just don’t know what long tail to pair up with it.

@zapzap
View Quote

Interesting. I've been thinking a 1654 build would be fun with a hopped up V-twin or even a single cylinder Kohler diesel. I occasionally get water over the transom if I slow too quickly on my 1436 (but I'm very heavily rear-biased on weight). Once planed, mine will do 17-18 with the little 224. My primary issue is fuel delivery...the pulse pumps aren't providing enough fuel pressure to keep the bowl full. Since I have the goodies to add charging to the motor, I figured I would end up adding an electric fuel pump as well.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 7:42:04 AM EDT
[#36]

Interesting. I've been thinking a 1654 build would be fun with a hopped up V-twin or even a single cylinder Kohler diesel. I occasionally get water over the transom if I slow too quickly on my 1436 (but I'm very heavily rear-biased on weight). Once planed, mine will do 17-18 with the little 224. My primary issue is fuel delivery...the pulse pumps aren't providing enough fuel pressure to keep the bowl full. Since I have the goodies to add charging to the motor, I figured I would end up adding an electric fuel pump as well.
View All Quotes

@zapzap

I think a 1654 would be great boat. My friend that got me into these has a 1648 with a 23 hp predator it just seems to plain out so effortlessly. I am starting to think my boat just may be over propped the 9x3 shows 16 hp at the bottom of the props power range in most cases so I am thinking I will be trying to make more power or find a smaller prop so I can keep my rpm’s up. Building a vtwin up some would be cool to just takes some deep pockets for a twin.
  On your set up what pulse pump are you running? Mine on my vanguard seems to keep up just fine but I have heard that about the predator engines have trouble pulling fuel up from a marine tank my friend that runs his says with the marine fuel set ups there is a check valve in them that restricts them to much for some of the pulse pumps. Hope this makes sense
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:58:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TFI] [#37]

Building a switch box for my lights and relay to mount in. On the right side I have a 3” bullfrog tach that will go in that spot.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 12:00:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zapzap] [#38]

I think a 1654 would be great boat. My friend that got me into these has a 1648 with a 23 hp predator it just seems to plain out so effortlessly. I am starting to think my boat just may be over propped the 9x3 shows 16 hp at the bottom of the props power range in most cases so I am thinking I will be trying to make more power or find a smaller prop so I can keep my rpm’s up. Building a vtwin up some would be cool to just takes some deep pockets for a twin.
  On your set up what pulse pump are you running? Mine on my vanguard seems to keep up just fine but I have heard that about the predator engines have trouble pulling fuel up from a marine tank my friend that runs his says with the marine fuel set ups there is a check valve in them that restricts them to much for some of the pulse pumps. Hope this makes sense
View Quote

It's the pulse pump from GoPowerSports. I think it just doesn't create enough head pressure to draw fuel 3 ft through the one way valve on the marine tanks. If I keep everything primed via the hand pump on the marine tank assembly, I keep the boat planed out and running 18 mph indefinitely as long as I prime every 15-25 seconds. I've got everything I need to convert to electric (fuel pump, charging coils, flywheel with charging magnets, voltage regulator, etc) just haven't taken the time to remove the covers and pull the flywheel (I also need to drain the oil and remove the side cover to put a new cam in which requires removing the engine from the surface drive (it was planned which is why I didn't use red thread locker on the pully nut).

Right now, a console project in my pickup is taking priority because I want it done in time for brush fire season out here...
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 12:06:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NoImpactNoIdea] [#39]
Budget build.

View Quote

Glad to see that mine isnt the only one that gets filled with all manner of things in the off season!  

Looking for some pictures of mine.

Attachment Attached File

Still a work in progress at this point.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/8/2023 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 8:33:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By NoImpactNoIdea:

Glad to see that mine isnt the only one that gets filled with all manner of things in the off season!  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74034/IMG_4842_jpeg-2844049.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74034/IMG_4164_jpeg-2844051.JPG

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NoImpactNoIdea:
Budget build.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74034/IMG_4842_jpeg-2844049.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74034/IMG_4164_jpeg-2844051.JPG

That’s a sweet looking rig!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 9:15:31 AM EDT
[#42]

That’s a sweet looking rig!!
View Quote

Thanks!  I built and carpeted the front deck, floor, back bench cover.  It was definitely a learning experience and the wiring looks like someone who has no idea did it (because I really don’t) but it’s just a lake hopper and the kids love it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Good work gents! After a looong break from being a boat owner

I purchased two.

A Carolina Skiff J14 we use as a work boat (I work at a marina)

and a MirroCraft 16ft semi-V (ex-rental). The J14 has a 9.9 Merc 4-stroke on it

and the Mirro is going to get a 1958 Johnson 18hp I have sitting

in my shed.

if I can remember I'll get some pics tomorrow.

On the fuel delivery issue, are you dealing with one of these

silly things?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/108158/FDV-2844583.jpg

it's a "fuel demand valve" and is another EPA boondoggle.
View Quote

Nope
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Here are my two acquisitions..

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/108158/DSCN6353_JPG-2845816.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/108158/DSCN6354_JPG-2845819.jpg

@zapzap

Are you using portable tanks or a built in one?[/quote

Going to put a 2-stroke 90 on them?
Or even a 115!

That Carolina would make a good fish-camp run-a-about.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 1:14:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: akcaribouhunter] [#47]

Rotten floor board getting replaced.
Will not be recovering it with the vinyl cover. Oil paint,traction sand and maybe some rubber mats.

Had some cracks welded up.
All four ends and multiple cracks on the tunnel. May end up plating the tunnel as it flexes.

Tough to find aluminum welders as there is a shortage now.

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 9:40:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Tag for my pics.

Also, does anybody make pods for a semi-v or are they all shaped for a jon-boat bottom?
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:01:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akcaribouhunter] [#50]
Originally Posted By DesignatedMarksman:
Tag for my pics.

Also, does anybody make pods for a semi-v or are they all shaped for a jon-boat bottom?
View Quote
Seaark
Alweld
Tiny boat nation

Make pods that fit semi-v.
Think the are 4-8 degree v's.(seaark/alweld boats)

Plus you could have custom made if you v is too much.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top