Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2018 4:46:47 PM EDT
Ive never owned my own boat before but have been looking at 12'-14' Jon boats here recently. Most times, it would be myself and wife on small bodies of water or the rivers around here in it. I do not need something fancy and would likely use just a trolling motor for a while. Any suggestions on what size, what model to get?

At max, this will have two people in it, a cooler for fish/ drinks, trolling motor and polls.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#1]
14ft and deepest you can afford. You will be tired of the trolling motor quick. Look for welded not riveted. If you patient you will find a deal on one. I've seen them almost given away lately.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 4:55:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ezdaar] [#2]
Welded and dbl wide.
Buy with or add the floaties to the back end of the boat on the transom. They add ALOT of stability.
Rule of thumb with boats is to take the length you want, divide by half and add that to boat length.

So if you think a 10’ will do, buy a 15’.

If all you will be do is electric trolling, get two batteries.

There is a forum just for jon boat modders. I suggest you take some time and read.
There are some really nice jon boats ppl have made from free-100$ craigslist buys.

Tinboats.net

Read ALOT.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:55:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't buy a boat under 16 foot
wide and deep are your friend
I would look for a modified front, they ride much better
trolling motors can really suck but if you're in smaller lakes they usually have "no gas motor" rules
I wouldn't even think about a river without a gas engine

this is the best time of year to buy a boat
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By guyina4x4:
I wouldn't buy a boat under 16 foot
wide and deep are your friend
I would look for a modified front, they ride much better
trolling motors can really suck but if you're in smaller lakes they usually have "no gas motor" rules
I wouldn't even think about a river without a gas engine

this is the best time of year to buy a boat
View Quote
This right here.

A small gasser will be in your future.  A 10-25hp will push a 16' jon along fine.

As for the welded vs. riveted?  Either one will work fine, there is no practical advantage of one over the other.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

14 foot is pretty fun. Especially with a 40...
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I like Alweld boats. Just bought a 1756 (17 foot, 56" wide floor) mod-v center console. They also make great jonboats. Even seen the DNR rangers using Alweld boats hereabouts.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I recently went with a sun dolphin sportsmans 10 (same and the bass raider 10e). Check em out if you haven't yet.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#8]
No,rivets, all welded only. I run 16-17’ boats at least 52” wide but over 60 is better. Usually run a 30HP or 40HP tiller handle for duck hunting.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 9:05:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a 1448 with a 25hp and custom tunnel hull with front stick steer. Damn I miss that little boat! Now I’ve got a Lowe 160 with 35hp Johnson. But I wish it had a 50 hp Honda. My project right now is rebuilding my Grandpa’s 1432. I’ve rebuilt the transom with 1” aluminum square tubing and fixing to replace the floatation and install seat brackets. And maybe a live well bait well for pond hopping. I’d go as wide as I could and around the 15’ range. Study every aluminum boat article you can cause you will want to mod it out!
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 3:32:23 PM EDT
[#10]
After looking for something for myself and trying the whole bass raider with a 2.3hp motor I have decided they suck and I am not getting anything less then the 13ft whaler. Maybe a 15ft if I can find one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top