Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2023 4:51:00 PM EDT
I've got JS8 Call going and noticed a few very far away stations but I can't tell who they are. The listed Call sign does not appear like a normal Call and does not return anything when searched on qrz.com. They are 3FH/DOIGBL, NQB/TP51PU, AND U4V/0SP/4II. All are 10,000 plus kilometers away. Are these actual stations? If so, how do I find out who/what they are?
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 8:20:56 PM EDT
[#1]
You didn't say, but I am going to ASSume you are decoding regular callsigns and conversations on JS8. If so these look like just random erroneous decodes to me. You see those all the time on FT8 as well.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:19:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like jibberish to me. I agree with the above.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 6:23:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm now sure you guys are right. If I hover over the call signs in question, a "heard by" field pops up. The only station listed is me. Many stations pop up when I do the same on the other, closer call signs.

Thank you for the input!
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Fake decodes.

And using the @arfcom will return some friendlies and some fakes just FYI.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 11:02:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fake decodes.

And using the @arfcom will return some friendlies and some fakes just FYI.
View Quote

Thanks. I have @arfcom listed but have yet to get anything from that, at least I don't think I have. I have to say, it's possible I have and I don't know it! I am very much trying to figure out how the software works. Are there any other @ groups I should add?
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 9:13:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Not sure what you're into, but a lot of Emcomm groups are practicing with JS8 call and have groups. Texas does anyway. Could check into that if you're into emcomm. It's kinda boring to me.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 9:35:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks. I have @arfcom listed but have yet to get anything from that, at least I don't think I have. I have to say, it's possible I have and I don't know it! I am very much trying to figure out how the software works. Are there any other @ groups I should add?
View Quote

Create your own @groups for you and your guys to use.

Add a aes-256 text converter and you have encrypted long range comms.

(In Minecraft)
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#8]
make sure you've got decode set to "deep" - as others have said its a bad decode.

js8call is one of the coolest modes out there in my opinion. Check out ft8 as well for just quick contacts.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
make sure you've got decode set to "deep" - as others have said its a bad decode.

js8call is one of the coolest modes out there in my opinion. Check out ft8 as well for just quick contacts.
View Quote

I haven't done anything on js8call but let it receive. I do find it very interesting and want to get more proficient at using it.

I have never heard of setting he decode to deep. I also don't see a setting called deep. My decoder sensitivity is set to 3x and mode is set to fast. Do I adjust one of those to modify the "deep" setting?
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 10:23:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(In Minecraft)<<<<<<<<<<<<<  

Link Posted: 5/30/2023 10:50:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
(In Minecraft)<<<<<<<<<<<<<  

View Quote

I caught that too. Lol
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:50:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I haven't done anything on js8call but let it receive. I do find it very interesting and want to get more proficient at using it.

I have never heard of setting he decode to deep. I also don't see a setting called deep. My decoder sensitivity is set to 3x and mode is set to fast. Do I adjust one of those to modify the "deep" setting?
View Quote

I changed it to 4x sensitivity and slow mode. I got a decode from Australia so those changes have definitely improved the receive, albeit at a cost of much lower speed.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice! Yeah these settings help a lot in wsjtx for ft8 - forgive me for using that nomenclature here.

I wish more folks used js8call on 6/10m but both are pretty terrible today due to the solar conditions right now it seems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top