Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2021 11:10:12 AM EDT
Every year I'll have some random animal give birth on the property somewhere,

Last year it was a deer, she gave birth to twins on my property in some high grasses, was fun watching them grow up.

The year before it was a fox and got to watch two kits learn to hunt in backyard.

Year before that, it was a skunk in one of my fields, she had 5 lil stinky fur balls  , was fun watching them running in field keeping up with their mom.

This year is no exception, had seen something darting around under deck, thought it was mouse, set a trap but trap was ignored, so figured it was a mole.

Well last night while peering out back sliding glass doors, I seen something a foot off deck in grass, was too small to ID, so got binos. It was a baby groundhog munching on grass. Was pretty cute, never seen a baby one before.

At some point ill need to find the den after they move along, I have a few places I suspect.

So, interesting i have something new each year
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 11:23:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Yup 'tis the season.  I was on the back part of my property checking fence line and a white tail doe about 20' away was acting a bit stranger than normal.

It took me a second, then I stood absolutely still, sure enough a fawn was nestled in the grass about 10' away, cute little thing.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Right now I got a few pairs of geese that walk their goslings between the neighbors pond and mine
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 11:20:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 11:21:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 4:40:31 AM EDT
[#5]
There is a groundhog that has taken up residence about 20' away from my garden on the side of a creek ravine. My garden is fenced mainly for deer but I have been burned in the past by a pair of groundhogs as well so I have chicken wire around the bottom of the fence as a deterrent. I don't mind the little guy and have left a stand of red clover on edge of the ravine just to keep him occupied and his belly full in hopes he doesn't train his eyes on the garden. We'll see how it shakes out.. they really are kind of fun to watch.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:38:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I live in the city.  Neighbor has a groundhog that lives under their front porch.  It has a litter every year and I end up having to kill 4 or 5.  Once the groundhog finishes with her hole I've seen a skunk take up residence and ended up squirting the old neighbor's dog.  I can't grow flowers in pots and have fenced my small city garden.  Groundhog chewed through his other neighbor's cable already this year.  I've seen signs of her nibbling in my back yard already.   After having my one day turn key solution turned down, I woke to see a have-a-heart trap sitting in the middle of their front yard with a towel inside.

Link Posted: 5/22/2021 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I love groundhogs.   I don't like the holes they dig under foundations and in pastures, but hey...everybody gotta live somewhere.... But they are cute and not mean and...yeah.

Glad you got to see a baby.

View Quote

They are the most destructive thing To my garden.  
I have a 7’ high fence which keeps the deer out.
The rabbits are not great in number and generally don’t do great damage.  
But groundhogs get no quarter from me.
They have ruined my garden several times, at least large sections and certain plants.

They are also filthy and covered in their own shit.  Flea ridden.

Some say they are excellent eating if you get them early in the spring before they fatten up too much.  Why wouldn’t they be, when they eat all the plants in your garden?
But they are the dirtiest Wild animal I’ve seen, turns me off from skinning them
Fox and crows and turkey vultures need to eat too.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 10:29:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Best pic I could get

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top