Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2019 11:40:30 AM EDT
Finally headed back to Cordoba for a Dove Hunting Shooting !

Been saving my pennies for several years, for a return trip.  We planned on going last year, but life got in the way.

We are tired of sweating in the TX heat the first weekend of September, praying we see enough birds  to make 15 bird limit, so we are flying out on 9/2, shooting 6/3, 6/4, 6/5, and 6/6.

I've been to the same outfitter twice, the last time back in 2014.  Since most folks want to hunt at home in Sept, it is their low booking season, so its a little cheaper.

Last trip I went through 4700 rounds in three  days, but I'm planning on taking it a little easier this year, due to some neck and shoulder issues.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 1:09:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USSRangerSM] [#1]
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#2]
How much is that all going to set you back?
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FritzTKatt:
View Quote
CC reward points covered the flight.  I'm planning on holding it down to about 1,000 rounds a day, for a total of 3,000.   When you include tips, license, gun rental, it will total up somewhere around  $3,500 - $3,600.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 9:36:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess that's not too bad.

Too much of a PITA/cost to bring your own shotgun?
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Its not a PITA to get your shotgun into the country.  You provide the outfitter the make, model, and serial number, plus pay a fee of about $100 (IIRC) and they handle the paperwork.  The outfitter meets you at the airport, with the paperwork in hand.

BUT...depending on airlines, there could be a issue.  I think American now refuses to transfer firearms to other airlines.

BUT...the outfitter will tell you "Its not advised"  They have a very short list of guns that, from experience, they know can stand up to the abuse of 1000+ rounds a day.  
You will sit around the lodge in the evening, sip local whiskey, and laugh/cry as his foreman tells stories about the $20,000 - $100,000 (and more) guns that did not make it through the first day.  The Purdey that failed within 15 minutes, the Holland and Holland stock that split after less than a 1000 rounds.

Beretta is what the lodge I go to buys...not because they are cheap, but because they know they can take 3000 -  5000 rounds a week, and that he can get almost a year out of one.  He considered the 391 a 100,000 - 120,000 round shotgun. Benelli are used by some of the other lodges.
They clean these guns with a wire brush, on a rod, attached to Dewalt drill .
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Interesting. I'd like to hear how a generic 870 or 500 holds up.

I'll be taking the 500 deluxe for Ohio dove come the 1st! But it'll probably be 100 or less shots.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 9:05:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By NAK:
CC reward points covered the flight.  I'm planning on holding it down to about 1,000 rounds a day, for a total of 3,000.   When you include tips, license, gun rental, it will total up somewhere around  $3,500 - $3,600.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FritzTKatt:
That number is not including airfare? How much are plane tickets?
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 3:33:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By nat103:

View Quote
I'm going on points from a CC.  What I hear is $1500 - $1900...and "Yes, that 's Coach"

Its a very specific set of flights to get you there in time to shoot the first afternoon.  The  outfitter picks you up at the airport and its about 90 min drive to the lodge
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Which outfitter?
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm going on points from a CC.  What I hear is $1500 - $1900...and "Yes, that 's Coach"

Its a very specific set of flights to get you there in time to shoot the first afternoon.  The  outfitter picks you up at the airport and its about 90 min drive to the lodge
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By nat103:

Yikes!

Thanks man
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 11:09:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Accountant30339:
Which outfitter?
View Quote
JJ Caceria
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#13]
JJ Caceria
View All Quotes
Which outfitter?
JJ Caceria
I'm not familiar with JJ (I usually use FlyWays Argentina); but the lodge looks nice and their Dove / Duck package is an amazing deal. I may have to give them a try!

Accountant
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#14]

I'm not familiar with JJ (I usually use FlyWays Argentina); but the lodge looks nice and their Dove / Duck package is an amazing deal. I may have to give them a try!

Accountant
View Quote
Its expensive, but worth every penny.   My wife and friends consider me somewhere between 'thrifty" and  "cheap ass bastard", but this is a trip worth saving up for.

This will be my third trip. The same lodge each time.  It started as a one-time Bucket List item, but after that first trip, I was hooked.

I stash a little money away out of every paycheck for big hunting trips.  Cordoba for wing shooting and SD for Pheasant are the top of my list.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 3:33:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like a pretty cool trip you have planned. Hoping to do some bird hunting this year myself.
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 6:12:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Bags are packed and we are headed to the airport in the morning.  A few twinges about not sitting on a bucket at sun-up this morning, but the anticipation of the upcoming trip is bigger.

We had to change our outbound flights., since they made a connection to LATAM in Miami...they routed us DFW > Santiago > Cordoba, instead of DFW>MIA>Lima > Cordoba.  Better flights and no increase in fair.  Less than 30 sec of hold time and less than 5 min on the phone total.  Definitely better than any interaction I've had with American.  There is an other kicker:  American charges you for every checked bag, but two checked bags are free on Latam, even though the first leg is an American plane.
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Have a great trip and be safe! Excited for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top