Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2021 1:20:21 PM EDT
I've seen backpacks with built in solar panels. Cool. Unless it's not sunny.

It occurred to me that an overnight stop near running water could be useful? All I know about water turbine power is that Hoover is giant and X-men killed bad guys in a slew(sp?)

But seriously, is there a portable way to make electricity from water?
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes there is a gadget for that.  I forget what they called it but they advertised the crap out of it on Facebook.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#2]
It was a mini turbine that you place in the rapids and they were charging cell phones and such.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a company that supposedly puts out a portable hydro system, based off of their portable wind power system.

Windlilly and waterlilly.

It looks interesting enough that I went ahead and pre-ordered it, planning on using it for additional ham radio power and whatnot up here in Alaska during field days, camping, hunting, etc.

I say "supposedly" because the damned thing's been on order since July 2020, with nothing but excuses from the company. I'll probably let it ride until August or so of this year, then cancel if it hasn't arrived.

But looking at their system, it would be easy enough to cobble one together. Much depends on your local conditions, it probably would be better if you could design something optimized for your locale. It'd be a fun 3d printer project.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yes there is a gadget for that.  I forget what they called it but they advertised the crap out of it on Facebook.
View Quote

Quoted:
It was a mini turbine that you place in the rapids and they were charging cell phones and such.
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's a company that supposedly puts out a portable hydro system, based off of their portable wind power system.

Windlilly and waterlilly.

It looks interesting enough that I went ahead and pre-ordered it, planning on using it for additional ham radio power and whatnot up here in Alaska during field days, camping, hunting, etc.

I say "supposedly" because the damned thing's been on order since July 2020, with nothing but excuses from the company. I'll probably let it ride until August or so of this year, then cancel if it hasn't arrived.

But looking at their system, it would be easy enough to cobble one together. Much depends on your local conditions, it probably would be better if you could design something optimized for your locale. It'd be a fun 3d printer project.
View Quote

OK ... that sux
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

OK ... that sux
View Quote
Yeah, I'd think twice about ordering from them right now. Maybe they'll make things right, but right now they have lots of pissed off folks asking where their product is.

The thing is, it's not terribly hard to design, but at this point in my life I'd rather just pay for the damned thing. Easier than sourcing some small low voltage motors and running them as generators. One thing I've thought about is having a small lightweight turbine setup that uses a bit of a venturi to kick the speed up a tad. Maybe it's something I'll play around with when I get the printer set up and figure out how to use the darned thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top