Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2021 12:32:45 AM EDT
We are headed up there for a week in June. As I understand it, most of the park has no cell phone coverage.  It would be nice to have some form of emergency communications.  I do have a satellite option but that is usually for legit life or death emergencies.  I have an 80-watt VHF rig in my vehicle.  I’d be most comfortable knowing I could rely on a 2 meter repeater if needed.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:55:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 4:59:13 AM EDT
[#2]
The cell phone coverage isn't great but it has gotten a bit better in recent years.  One major issue is that even through you will probably have coverage and a decent signal at the major attractions, the capacity is limited which makes it unusable during most of the day when the children are trying to do anything but enjoy the outdoors.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 8:29:31 AM EDT
[#3]
When I was up there a few years ago .52 simplex was the only thing I heard in the park.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 8:47:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I had the same question as you OP when we went out 2 years ago.

We actually had cell service in 95% of the park. And there is so many damn people there if something happens you will be able to bump into someone who can help.

Seems like there was 1-2 repeaters that covered a good portion of the park but what little I listed I didn’t hear any traffic.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 12:42:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I’ll probably just run .520 while I’m there.  I may try to work QRP at Crevice Mountain the 2nd week of June.  Listen for NU3U…
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#7]
There is a new repeater above Gardiner that hasn't made any lists yet. 146.98 100 hz tone.
It covers much of the northern part of the park and I understand you can hit it from just south of Livingston.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#8]
If your radio can transmit on it, find out in the Park Service radio frequencies.

Just don’t transmit unless you have a bonafide emergency with no other available comms.  FCC says you can in a legitimate emergency.    Park service would likely cry foul.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top