Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2020 1:43:11 PM EDT
Found some good looking recipes but seems like a lot of people on the internet says it is dangerous due to racoon roundworm. Wanted to test out my new night vision on them but don't want to waste the animal if it is edible.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 1:47:22 PM EDT
[#1]
A lot of people eat them. After all, they’re made of meat!
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 1:53:56 PM EDT
[#2]
They are very nasty animals. It would be a dark day for me to eat one.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 1:57:31 PM EDT
[#3]
A couple of years ago - I trapped one - tried it as an experiment....

The fat on the sucker was unread - not good.  If you were starving - yes cook the piss out of it....

Then the value is in the fat - very useful if you render it...

of course....

YMMV

Red
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Aren't they also known carriers of trichinosis?  Basically like eating wild hog or bear where you need to cook it all the way through to kill the parasite.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

Been there, done that.  I'd have to be real hungry to do it again.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I caught and ate one at SERE school and thought it was delicious. I hadn't eaten for five days, though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#7]
The level of sentience in raccoons, canids, mustelids and bears is too high for my heart to take. I'm not quite as savage as some people think
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The level of sentience in raccoons, canids, mustelids and bears is too high for my heart to take. I'm not quite as savage as some people think
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/12/2020 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/50086/racoon6_jpg-1632357.JPG

Been there, done that.  I'd have to be real hungry to do it again.
View Quote

a - fuck cocoons. Thieving, roof ripping, garbage smearing shit dung fuckers. I am saving dollars, right now, for a ten shot .22 revolver with a bull barrel juuust for them assholes. I don't care, I live in the country. I'd have 0 problem letting them build a nest again in my attic. But they can't just go in, and come out. noooo. Attic vents have Memphis scrollwork on them now, so what do they do? Chew a foot wide hole right in the middle of my gutter. fuck them, and fuck their fake 'cute' shtick. PS - if that fat idiot squirrel reads this forum, you're next, Skippy. Don't think I don't know what you're up to, I can hear you while I shit.

They're all just lucky my 22/45 doesn't cycle the rounds I like, or else it would be the carcasses of skunks, asshole dogs that shit in my driveway, the previously mentioned fur-lined berzerkers, and you know what? Anything else tearing my shit up

b - I'm guessing that's one of them on top. But wtf is that on bottom?
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

a - fuck cocoons. Thieving, roof ripping, garbage smearing shit dung fuckers. I am saving dollars, right now, for a ten shot .22 revolver with a bull barrel juuust for them assholes. I don't care, I live in the country. I'd have 0 problem letting them build a nest again in my attic. But they can't just go in, and come out. noooo. Attic vents have Memphis scrollwork on them now, so what do they do? Chew a foot wide hole right in the middle of my gutter. fuck them, and fuck their fake 'cute' shtick. PS - if that fat idiot squirrel reads this forum, you're next, Skippy. Don't think I don't know what you're up to, I can hear you while I shit.

They're all just lucky my 22/45 doesn't cycle the rounds I like, or else it would be the carcasses of skunks, asshole dogs that shit in my driveway, the previously mentioned fur-lined berzerkers, and you know what? Anything else tearing my shit up

b - I'm guessing that's one of them on top. But wtf is that on bottom?
View Quote

Wholesale loin from a pig.  Good stuff.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Kill the raccoons!  I wouldn't eat one, but I'd kill a thousand!  

We had them at our old house and besides ruining things in the garden, they wound up in our attic.  They climbed a tree next to the house, got on the roof and ripped off a dryer vent in the soffit.  Mama had a litter directly above our bed.  When that happened mama and papa had a fierce fight causing the male to leave the attic and die on our driveway.  A trapper tried a havahart trap, but the female wouldn't go in (it learned from a previous trapping).  Finally, a kill trap got it overnight, trapper went in and carried out 3 babies.

Meanwhile our second floor ceilings were randomly stained with urine.  God only knows how much shit was up there.  We were in the process of selling the house, I never went up there.  I had an insulation company check it out, clean up what was there and had more insulation blown in.

Kill the raccoons!
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Found some good looking recipes but seems like a lot of people on the internet says it is dangerous due to racoon roundworm. Wanted to test out my new night vision on them but don't want to waste the animal if it is edible.
View Quote
Wait until furbearers are in season.  Sell the pelt.  We would take the carcass south of the tracks (Missouri) and sell them to the local peeps for $10.

Coon is probably best in a well cooked stew or gumbo.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Wait until furbearers are in season.  Sell the pelt.  We would take the carcass south of the tracks (Missouri) and sell them to the local peeps for $10.  

View Quote

I guess coon pelts are not selling due to covid destroy the market. Even bobcat pelts are even not all selling.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 4:28:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 4:48:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Old guy that I went coon hunting with ate a few of the ones we treed, but gave most of them away  to older rural folks around Southampton county Virginia. Old country people eat a lot of critters we won't eat. I don't like duck(too greasy).
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd rather a gopher, even a third of a gopher.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I wouldn't approach an eating raccoon, but thats just me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I guess coon pelts are not selling due to covid destroy the market. Even bobcat pelts are even not all selling.
View Quote
God damned communists have fucked up everything.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

God damned communists have fucked up everything.
View Quote

Yep, money losing proposition to be a trapper now it seems.

https://trappingtoday.com/2020-2021-fur-prices-trapping-todays-fur-market-forecast/
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 6:10:00 PM EDT
[#20]
The fact that raccoons are one of the primary carriers of rabies is enough to keep me from considering them a food source.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Well-done?  No, probably not.

Rare or medium-rare?  Yeah, probably.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Boiled coon head and greens.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 6:26:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I caught and ate one at SERE school and thought it was delicious. I hadn't eaten for five days, though.
View Quote

Hunger is quite the spice!
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:25:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Is it dead?
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I doubt its dangerous, just cook well. They probably don't taste too good, but I guarantee they taste better than hungry.

Find a local trapper who will take them and wait until season is in proper. The hides are worthless until they get their full winter coat. My neighbor runs a freezer to keep his pelts until prices are up.

They aren't worth anything if swiss cheesed, so get good head shots.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Have eaten them, not bad.
As a kid, saw them for sale quite often.
Still a small meat market here, but nothing like for muskrat meats.
More sold to feed dogs than anything.

After skinning them for decades, wouldn't eat another less I was starving.

Seen too many guinea worms, etc, crawlng in and out of the legs
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 11:53:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Coon makes a fine meal.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#28]
I've eaten them and I lived. Clean all the fat off. This is crucial. I par boiled them to remove the fat and grease I could get off with a knife and paper towels. Then barbecue or roast until well done. They can carry trichinosis among other nasty things.  Well done is key.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 11:00:29 AM EDT
[#29]
I find them very tasty.  

Crock or pressure cooker. Just like I would do for bear or wild hog.

Reminds me of darkmeat turkey.  
Great in a pulled pork style dish or meatpie

As far as worms go. Meh.  Just think of how many you've eaten sight unseen in fish or other foraged meats.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Tasty when cooked properly. But, yeah, you need to cook them through. Anything less than medium or medium well is asking for it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Probably haven't had any coon in twenty years. Delicious and fall off the bone tender. Like squirrel I think a lot of folks confuse a garbage can coon with a forest coon. Might as well be a different species. The forest critter eats the same thing as a possum or a turkey generally.

I wouldn't touch it if harvested within city limits though.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

yeah not really a glowing endorsement since I happily ate rabbit shit in SERE school
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 2:41:57 PM EDT
[#33]
I've eaten it once.

It was boiled, the water poured off, and then boiled again.

Tasted like stew meat, may as well have been beef.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 2:51:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

around here one had to leave a foot attached to the carcass to prove it wasn't a house cat...............
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:06:43 PM EDT
[#35]
some stuff is just not tasty.  Tried to feed my dog the meat from a River Otter.  She tried to like it, mouthed it for a few minutes, then rejected it.  The dog eats a raw diet (meat, bones, skin, etc), so that was telling
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:28:24 PM EDT
[#36]
It's only dangerous if you don't kill it first.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I’ve eaten a pile of them. Still alive.  Lol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top