Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2020 12:25:55 AM EDT
In the next few months, my family (wife, two daughters -3&6, and I) are moving to Southeast Asia. We are living in a safe community in a reasonably safe city/country but I still want to go prepared for a good number of contingencies. My wife and daughters will all be in an international school during the day so solo travel in town will be limited at first and with me once I'm oriented, but I'll be out and about rather frequently as I get groceries and day to day supplies, as well as traveling back and forth to martial arts classes.

In the past several years, my focus has been on skills, from hard skills like martial arts (BJJ and MMA) and firearms training to soft skills like Escaping Illegal Restraints, lock picking, trauma medical skills, and managing unknown contacts/verbal judo. I've still got room to improve, but I've picked up a good bit over the past 5 years from some phenominal teachers.

That said, I do not speak the language, so that will be priority number one. I've got family in the area that does, and the school is an English only campus but for anything out in town I'll need to know language and customs pretty quickly. I've travelled in the area before and locals do not typically speak English and translators are iffy in the best of times.

I'll need to get local SIM cards for phones ASAP as well. I'm looking into information security for cell phones and internet as well (Wouldn't want to have my card info stolen over an unsecured WiFi)

I'll also need to put feet on the streets pretty quickly to get oriented. We won't have a personal vehicle of any kind for at least a few months if not longer so I'm stuck walking, taking a taxi or taking public transit which may or may not be running due to current lockdowns. A local hospital is about 15 minutes away by personal vehicle in the event of emergency from our location. Emergency services are spotty, and the communication barrier might make things worse in a larger mass event. I've also got plans to head down to the local embassy when I get some time to get to know some of the other Americans working there.

In the past, the city has gone under martial law several times and has had bombings and some political unrest. It's a predominantly Buddhist nation and religious persecution of minorities hasn't typically been a problem. They are also friendly to Americans, though scams are always present. They are also allied with the US with several Naval vessels docking at their ports.

My list of threats would go something like this;
-Criminal violence, human trafficking-(smart practices when out and about with kids and failing that, being capable of stopping them physically)
-Terrorist attack-mass cassualties from shootings or bombings
-Regime change/civil unrest
-Natural disaster
-Everyday injury with being active and having energetic kids

As far as supplies; I've gathered a few things that I think will make things easier in the event of an emergency, and that otherwise wouldn't be easily accesible in country upon arrival;

Everyday Carry Pack-should be on me if I'm out in public, it's common to see so it won't raise any eyebrows
-A small backpack, more hippy/outdoorsy less tactical
-Booboo kit- Allergy meds, childrens doses of standard meds, bandaids of various sizes
-Trauma medical supplies- Typical trauma supplies, 2x CAT, Pressure Dressing, quick clot gauze, chest seals x2, chest dart, NPA with lube, trauma shears and a pair of blue nitrile gloves(I've got training on all of this and only look at this as a way to save a loved one in the event EMS is extremely delayed and their life is at risk)
-Water and water filtration (local tap water is not safe to drink)
-Assorted lights-1x Headlamp, 1x Handheld
-Multitool
-Personal documentation, passport, cash etc.
-PPE- Gloves, facemask, eye-pro, ear-pro, extra socks
-Extra space for day to day things

At Home
-Resupply on Trauma supplies basically doubling capacity
-Resupply on water filters
-Supplies for wound management- Splints, ACE Wrap, bandages, wound closure
-Meds for various issues
-Outdoor clothing and footwear for each family member who can travel by foot(can easily be obtained in country)
-Savings to get out of the country by air at a moments notice

I'm open for advice as this is just what I've done so far. Some things that I've intentionally left out are for security reasons as I'd rather be safe than sorry and not reveal things that might cause trouble, though everything abides by local laws. I've intentionally left the name of the country out, not because it's any secret, but just as an additional measure of security. Rather safe than sorry.

It goes without saying, firearms and other defensive tools are illegal for foreigners so I've not included them in my preps, though I am familiar with most issued platforms of handgun and rifle and have likely run a class with a similar example for familiarity already. So if I come across one in a dire emergency I'll be able to make the most of it. It's crazy how much space not having a gun clears out in your bags as well.

Feel free to pick me apart on this plan, or use it as a thought exercise for your own travel preps. The goal is to see as much of the world and expose my young daughters to many different environments and cultures while being as safe as possible and being prepared for the worst.

Link Posted: 5/14/2020 1:40:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Certainly not what you want to hear but if I were a young single guy, maybe, but I would not take my family where you describe.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 1:49:39 AM EDT
[#2]
One other detail that I should add. I’ve already got family living in the same area. My sister, brother in law, and nephew have been living there for the past 5 years.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 2:04:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MarkHatfield:
Certainly not what you want to hear but if I were a young single guy, maybe, but I would not take my family where you describe.
View Quote

I understand that, as I’ve gotten the response from some of my family and friends.

It doesn’t pertain directly to the conversation but it’s worth stating. My parents are in their early 60s. My daughters are attending this high end prep school for free thanks to my wife’s job there (the reason for the move). My youngest one will graduate in 15 years if all goes well at which point (latest point imaginable we’d stay in the country) my parents would be too old to travel and likely needing someone to stay nearby. We’ve wanted to travel and experience the world as well as broadening our daughter’s view of the world. The opportunity has presented itself to us in the form of a job offer which will substantially increases our standard of living in economic terms as well. My daughters and I also get to live near and spend time with my family which is also important.

The area isn’t unstable and historically is no worse off than some nearby areas in the US in terms of violent crime. It’s certainly got some disadvantages but it’s not inherently unsafe. I just want to have a suitable plan in place in case the area goes to shit and we have to make it out. It’s not much different than preparations for the same thing here in the states, only the available resources are different.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:06:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I would not put boots on the ground without speaking the language and understanding the customs.  Ditto for the family.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:47:55 AM EDT
[#5]
If living in an apartment / condo - you want to be on the 2nd floor.
This puts you above street riots plus allows for an easy escape if need be.

If buying a house / property - I want walls & a gate.

Look into joining a hunting club as well. There is a path to firearms ownership in most countries.

A couple of my Expat Co-Workers in Iraq and Africa moved permanently to the Philippines. They married Filipina women.
It's possible for Filipina women to get carry permits. My one friend carried a pistol under his wife's permit.

After spending 10 years contracting overseas, I like the USA too much to move to Asia.

What's your reason for moving there?

Link Posted: 5/14/2020 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By drobs:
If living in an apartment / condo - you want to be on the 2nd floor. 
This puts you above street riots plus allows for an easy escape if need be. 

If buying a house / property - I want walls & a gate. 

Look into joining a hunting club as well. There is a path to firearms ownership in most countries. 

A couple of my Expat Co-Workers in Iraq and Africa moved permanently to the Philippines. They married Filipina women. 
It's possible for Filipina women to get carry permits. My one friend carried a pistol under his wife's permit. 

After spending 10 years contracting overseas, I like the USA too much to move to Asia. 

What's your reason for moving there? 

View Quote

My wife recently got a job with an international school (for wealthy locals and expat children) we’ll be living on campus. I’m going to take the time to finish education and certification with online school, plus teach BJJ in the afternoons at the school, hopefully.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#7]
OK, this is from someone that was in Japan, Okinawa, Philippines and Thailand in the 1970s (USAF Security Service) and is quite dated,

I always made a set of flash card (as I was learning some of the language,) of phrases (get a kid trying to learn English to make it for you)... phonetic in the home language, and on back, written in the home language, .. can you get me to the hospital, American Consulate, American Air Base, police, etc

my off base dress was patterned after what the locals used, rather than Levis and T shirts most GI used... typically tan pants and some form of button front shirt, and preferably with a ball cap with local and not US logo... I avoided wearing GI shoes and the dreaded contraceptive eye glasses... in those days being a lot younger some of the bars were not on paved roads, and lot of time I wore  boots... had a couple of shirts made of native print for Thailand

I tried to carry at least  $50 in a money belt along with a set of order (with my security clearance) and a 35mm slide pic of my birth certificate and front page of my passport (sort of like a microfiche)... copiers were not readily available to us then

my job gave me access to the world wide SIGINT SUMMARY, but not so much as what was happening in the next barrio over... talked my boss into a subscription of the Christian Science Monitor... Armed Forces Radio and TV were checked before or after work for any update on problems... the Moslem problem was just starting in the southern Philippines, and we had a couple of NPA incidents in Pampanga Province just before my arrival

work with the kids on situational awareness...if they will wear a dog tag, possibly their name and address and numbers (home and responsible adults if you are not able to be reached)

when I look at pictures of American tourists in that part of the world, I'm amazed at the poor choice they make for footwear...can you walk 5 miles in sandals?

enjoy your stay, learn as much of the customs as possible, especially if it is a Buddhist nation... there are some "don'ts" with how you interact... don't touch on the head, step on a baht note if it falls on the ground

I had recently arrived to Japan and was downtown on 1 May 1971, and I heard a parade coming down the road... red banners, cymbals and all kinds of noise... a small Japanese man tapped me on the arm and said that I should go inside his shop.... even with a degree in political science, I had not associated the date with the international May Day celebration.... this one of the Communist Party of Japan

Link Posted: 5/14/2020 11:24:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By lasnyder:
OK, this is from someone that was in Japan, Okinawa, Philippines and Thailand in the 1970s (USAF Security Service) and is quite dated, 

I always made a set of flash card (as I was learning some of the language,) of phrases (get a kid trying to learn English to make it for you)... phonetic in the home language, and on back, written in the home language, .. can you get me to the hospital, American Consulate, American Air Base, police, etc

my off base dress was patterned after what the locals used, rather than Levis and T shirts most GI used... typically tan pants and some form of button front shirt, and preferably with a ball cap with local and not US logo... I avoided wearing GI shoes and the dreaded contraceptive eye glasses... in those days being a lot younger some of the bars were not on paved roads, and lot of time I wore  boots... had a couple of shirts made of native print for Thailand

I tried to carry at least  $50 in a money belt along with a set of order (with my security clearance) and a 35mm slide pic of my birth certificate and front page of my passport (sort of like a microfiche)... copiers were not readily available to us then

my job gave me access to the world wide SIGINT SUMMARY, but not so much as what was happening in the next barrio over... talked my boss into a subscription of the Christian Science Monitor... Armed Forces Radio and TV were checked before or after work for any update on problems... the Moslem problem was just starting in the southern Philippines, and we had a couple of NPA incidents in Pampanga Province just before my arrival

work with the kids on situational awareness...if they will wear a dog tag, possibly their name and address and numbers (home and responsible adults if you are not able to be reached)

when I look at pictures of American tourists in that part of the world, I'm amazed at the poor choice they make for footwear...can you walk 5 miles in sandals?

enjoy your stay, learn as much of the customs as possible, especially if it is a Buddhist nation... there are some "don'ts" with how you interact... don't touch on the head, step on a baht note if it falls on the ground

I had recently arrived to Japan and was downtown on 1 May 1971, and I heard a parade coming down the road... red banners, cymbals and all kinds of noise... a small Japanese man tapped me on the arm and said that I should go inside his shop.... even with a degree in political science, I had not associated the date with the international May Day celebration.... this one of the Communist Party of Japan

View Quote

Thanks for the input! I’ve considered a lot of what you’ve mentioned.

The language is tonal and the text is completely new, but I’m fortunate enough that my wife’s job provides us both with free language training while we are there (among a host of other not insignificant benefits)

Clothes and dress; we aren’t taking much with us, most will be picked up in a market or local mall. I’m making sure we have solid footwear (worst case scenario having to walk with kids and pack across town) that I’ll have broken in before going.

There is a known bribe (pay my ticket here) system when dealing with the local LEOs in the country as well, so I’ll have a way to keep cash spread over my body when out and about.

Culturally, they can be touchy on some things like you mentioned, referencing authorities/royalty in a non flattering way is a big one as is drug use of any kind (though that’s not something I’ve got to worry about).

I’m actually really looking forward to the experience. Just trying to cover my bases.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#9]
anectdote... I mailed a Yamaha DT-1 dirt bike, piece by piece, to myself in the Philippines from Japan... a friend with a Honda fell outside of the weight limits per package, so he had it shipped to the Port of Manila...he and I made two trips to the port to get it released unsuccessfully before talking to a local Filipino that ran a bar we frequented... he said to slip in a 20 peso note (around $3US at the time) with the paperwork... third trip we were driving back to Clark AB with the Honda
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:27:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Keep a multi-language card with instructions to contact the Embassy/Consulate if there is trouble.  
Let the Embassy know you are there.
Get the travel safety alerts.

Be prepared to hunker down, if you can't evac right away.  Have an alternate location.
Be wary of the transition between "safe" areas and public areas.  If you watch Active Self Protection, you see a lot of robberies and abductions happen at the fence/gate area of a property.
Stay in "western friendly" areas, at least until you can tell what "wrong" looks like.
Don't travel alone, if possible.
Make sure you have a local-network compatible phone for each person.
Vary your routes of travel, so you don't become an easy target.
A properly registered 406MHz or Iridium PLB might be a good idea.

The US will go to pretty great lengths to get Americans back, but it is up to you to make sure the .gov knows something is wrong.
Call/email the Dept of State or JPRA for more advice.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top